Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt - Silver Flare Metallic- LT1
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for a Juicebox 40 amp EVSE as I can get a $250 rebate from my State. I just looked at the reviews on the app and it seems that the general consensus is it’s trash.

Yikes! After doing some reading on the review found on the App Store, it really sucks. I’m not getting any warm and fuzzy feelings.

What’s the feeling here for those using the Juicebox app? How did you work around any issues?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,997 Posts
I've had my JB Pro 40 for about 2 1/2 years. The app isn't stellar, but other than occasionally monitoring it's functionality I tend to use the web app far more often. The web app provides very detailed information about each charging session, overall energy usage and more. I did have to get a warranty replacement earlier this year, as arcing began occurring within the J1772 power connector. I can't say if it was really the EVSE's fault, as I had just returned from a drive through car wash and it's possible there was water within the outlet when I plugged it in that allowed the arcing. If that was the case, that was more the car's fault. But EnelX didn't hesitate to replace it without charge, so good customer service.

Other than the arcing problem, the EVSE has been flawless with both my Bolt and my previous Niro PHEV. I don't worry too much about the app, as I mentioned I rarely even look at it. The car's app is more worthwhile for monitoring charging, if I ever feel the need. Remember that Level 1 and 2 EVSEs do not communicate with the car the way DC chargers do. The EVSE has no idea what the car's state of charge is before, during or after charging. It simply provides the power the car requests, up to the capabilities of the EVSE. So don't expect the app to have that sort of info.

·
Registered
2017 Premier, replaced battery, 1993 GMC 2500, 2022 MYLR, 2017 M235i
756 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40 for the past 11 months. It’s worked very well and the app seems to be adequate for my needs.
I've had a Juicebox Pro and the app for 5 years now. I've only had to use the app for monitoring charging status and overriding the TOU setting, and it worked fine for that. For looking at historical information, I use my laptop and the browser interface.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,274 Posts
Juicebox tried to modernize the app and force people into a new design and it wasn't well received. The actual chargers work great. Schedule works great. It's set and forget.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My primary motivation for going with the Juicebox is for getting the TOU discount from my utility company. The NJ state rebate and a 30% tax credit from the federal government also helps. As long as I can program it to take advantage of off peak hours and Juicebox then transmitting that data to my utility, then it will meet my expectations.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,997 Posts
My primary motivation for going with the Juicebox is for getting the TOU discount from my utility company.
I have TOU motivation as well, but I don't use the JuiceBox TOU settings, because they only offer two periods a day, while I have three with my utility. Instead, the Bolt TOU settings allows me to add additional periods. Since I can tell it when I'm located at home, the car knows when it can charge and when it has to wait. It can even start charging, then stop during the restricted time period and restart when we're back in the allowed time. And it has separate weekend settings, since I have no restrictions on Sat and Sun. I too had to get the JuiceBox so they could monitor my use (and they provided the EVSE for free, with my only paying 20% of the install). I'm perfectly satisfied with the JuiceBox, but as mentioned I rarely use the app.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is good to know. I’m beginning to feel better that regardless of the features and drawbacks of the app, it will do the job and report up my off peak TOU to my utility.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My issue with my early Juicebox isn't the app, it's the connectivity. A big part of their business model is data harvesting so everything you try to change in the settings has to go out and back to the server first. I have frequent periods of the communication being offline. I believe it is an issue on their end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts