Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I bought mine on a BF deal on Amazon actually. I paid $549 before 5% credit card rebate and no sales tax .... it's nice to see the deals getting even better than that now. I'm hoping Amazon steps up their game like they did last year, could be interesting.

·
Registered
760 Posts
after living with the Juicebox I slightly regret my decision. I think I would have been better off saving $ and using the supplied charger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was going to buy a Juicebox, had it all researched even before I bought my used 2017 Bolt with 22K on it. I've had the Bolt a couple of months and haven't needed to charge at level 2 at all. Have charged at public level 2 and 3 just for the experience. But the level 1 charger that came with it, although slow, meets my needs. I charge when it gets to about the low 40% and stop at about low 80 to 85%. Takes about 15 hours or so and that is just fine for me. I guess if I need to drive a bunch a miles round trip a Level 2 at home would be good. But for now, don't need it at least not yet. Glad I held off the purchase and installation of the Juicebox.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I was going to buy a Juicebox, had it all researched even before I bought my used 2017 Bolt with 22K on it. I've had the Bolt a couple of months and haven't needed to charge at level 2 at all. Have charged at public level 2 and 3 just for the experience. But the level 1 charger that came with it, although slow, meets my needs. I charge when it gets to about the low 40% and stop at about low 80 to 85%. Takes about 15 hours or so and that is just fine for me. I guess if I need to drive a bunch a miles round trip a Level 2 at home would be good. But for now, don't need it at least not yet. Glad I held off the purchase and installation of the Juicebox.
You can get at least 2x faster charging too if you connect the included EVSE to a 240v outlet too, so even if you do decide faster is better, you've got options.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
really, I thought the charger that came with it was only 120v. Let me go check that out. BTW - thanks!
the charge cord that came with the car will only state it's for 120V. many of us are using ours on 240V by using an adapter. I've been using mine now for nearly 2 years on 240V.
I don't know why the my240 option has been out of stock for some time now.
@JohnU came up with this one.
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/adapter-for-bolt-charging.33674/post-516955
@p7wang came up with another option.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Shameless self promotion...

My solution allows you to do the following:
  • Use the OEM EVSE with 5-15 plug on the NEMA 14-50 receptacle
  • Use a NEMA 6-20 EVSE on the NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
Max flexibility + no splicing, so much safer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I looked at it a little closer and viewed a couple of videos on you the subject. Does allow you to connect the charger to either single 120v or two phase 220v wall receptacle. I have access to both 120v and 220v in the garage. My question is does it charge at a higher current rate? At 120 it charges at 12 amps and I believe is rated at 1440 watts. If connected at to 240 does is the board able to charge with a higher current rate? Or is this just to have the ability to connect to either 120 or 240? (thanks for the education ;)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
OEM EVSE with 240V, it would deliver 12A, meaning 2.88KW. While it's double of the 120V, the charge rate is faster due to higher efficiency. I did test it and saw the ~3KW rate on my power company web site.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't understand your response. Just because it runs at a higher voltage doesn't mean that it will charge at a higher rate. Wattage is a function of volts x amps.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
On 120V, you get 120V X 12A = 1.44KW. Charging efficiency should be 85%
On 240V, you get 240V X 12A = 2.88KW. Charging efficiency should be 90%

·
Registered
42 Posts
won't argue ur math ;) Wow, that little board can run either 120 or 240v and both at 12A, wow again. Yes, I will be doing the mod, not that hard to perform. THANKS ! ! !

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Oops, typo, fixed. Old eyes. :)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
won't argue ur math ;) Wow, that little board can run either 120 or 240v and both at 12A, wow again. Yes, I will be doing the mod, not that hard to perform. THANKS ! ! !
The EVSE is little more than an extension cord with the ability to communicate how many amps it can deliver, and some protection circuitry. The original LEAF EVSE could be modified to run on 240v by replacing the single 120v rated varistor with 2x 120v varistors.

The reason it's able to do both voltages easily is because the current rating is the same regardless of which voltage you run. It's current that determines how big your charging cord needs to be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Note: Bolt takes only 32 AMP.
Also there is charges which are cheeper - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THBGGMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Why do you want to pay 499?
I bought a JuiceBox Pro 40 for my Leaf three years ago and love it. It's not very attractive, but it is very practical. One of the very nice aspects is that I can set it to not charge during peak electric hours. Yes, I could set both the Leaf and the Bolt to only charge at certain hours, but then I have to remember to override the vehicle's setting when I need to charge at a public charger (and on more than one occasion I forgot to set the Leaf to override the timer settings).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts