Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oleg I've had the Bolt for a couple of months and only used the 120v charger that comes with it. How long have you had the Mustard charger and how well does connector fit? I checked it out and there were a few comments that the connector had issues. What's your experience. I'd also love to hear why davioh regrets buying the juice box. Seem the juice box wifi capability and other features seemed worth it. thanks

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I bought a JuiceBox Pro 40 for my Leaf three years ago and love it. It's not very attractive, but it is very practical. One of the very nice aspects is that I can set it to not charge during peak electric hours. Yes, I could set both the Leaf and the Bolt to only charge at certain hours, but then I have to remember to override the vehicle's setting when I need to charge at a public charger (and on more than one occasion I forgot to set the Leaf to override the timer settings).
There is a Charge Option setting for Home vs Away. My Away is for immediate charging and at higher target rate (92%). My Home is set to charge only during EV rates and at a lower target charge rate (62%). This leaves me room to take advantage of 30% charge while out dining/shopping. In fact, just got 20% charge from Operation DINNER OUT. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a Charge Option setting for Home vs Away. My Away is for immediate charging and at higher target rate (92%). My Home is set to charge only during EV rates and at a lower target charge rate (62%). This leaves me room to take advantage of 30% charge while out dining/shopping. In fact, just got 20% charge from Operation DINNER OUT. ;)
Cool! I wasn’t aware of that setting. Yet one more thing that sets the Bolt apart from my 2016 Leaf!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok, for the bolt, the charging time setting working only at specific location, normally set to home, then car is out of house these setting not affecting charging
But if you had it for leaf no reason to buy other charger of course.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I own the JuiceBox 40 Pro and also love it. But now that I've had it for a year, I realized for me the right answer is a simple and cheap charger. The reports from the JB in the beginning was neat, but completely unnecessary at this point. I just want to plug it in, wake up the next day with it charged.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I find that with my commute, even the OEM EVSE 120V 12A is sufficient. I added a NEMA 14-50 that is twice what I need, so great for the occasional times that I drive more.

For aftermarket EVSE, a 240V 16A EVSE would be overkill. If I need faster charge, I must be taking a trip away from home and would be using DCFC instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that each time you charge the EV you create a bit of battery degradation. The article seem to imply that is better to do one long charge than lots of little ones. Any one know or have any thoughts? I have no idea except what I read (and you can write anything on paper lol)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that each time you charge the EV you create a bit of battery degradation. The article seem to imply that is better to do one long charge than lots of little ones. Any one know or have any thoughts? I have no idea except what I read (and you can write anything on paper lol)
Read here...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I own the JuiceBox 40 Pro and also love it. But now that I've had it for a year, I realized for me the right answer is a simple and cheap charger. The reports from the JB in the beginning was neat, but completely unnecessary at this point. I just want to plug it in, wake up the next day with it charged.
While it's rare for me, I do appreciate the ability to adjust the TOU for the Juicebox from my phone easily. I travel a lot, and get a charge at the airport parking lot (included in the parking). I still need to make sure that I'll arrive at the airport with enough charge to get home in case the lot is full, and I can't get a charge there. So sometimes, I just want to put in a couple of hours at off-peak. Our off-peak starts at midnight, so I just adjust off peak for what I want before I go to sleep. That way I get maximum benefit from the included charging (because cheap) without risking not being able to come home (I've only been turned away from that garage once, but it was a memorable experience).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
While it's rare for me, I do appreciate the ability to adjust the TOU for the Juicebox from my phone easily. I travel a lot, and get a charge at the airport parking lot (included in the parking). I still need to make sure that I'll arrive at the airport with enough charge to get home in case the lot is full, and I can't get a charge there. So sometimes, I just want to put in a couple of hours at off-peak. Our off-peak starts at midnight, so I just adjust off peak for what I want before I go to sleep. That way I get maximum benefit from the included charging (because cheap) without risking not being able to come home (I've only been turned away from that garage once, but it was a memorable experience).
I like using the car's TOU scheduling. I can control or adjust it via the phone app and it still allows the car to regulate/cool/heat the battery if need be even if it's off TOU. I will see the car power up and girgle if need be. Also, for me, there's a bug with the software that I've reported and they wrote me back a year ago saying it's going to be fixed someday; My entire weekend is on the cheap TOU plan. So, from Friday night at 7pm until Monday morning at 7am, it's cheap energy for me. But the JuiceBox doesn't like 24 hours so it shuts down for 1 minute at midnight Saturday night if it was taking power. Granted, it starts up 1 minute later, but why subject the system to that stop/start. Here's what I mean:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Read here...
What Wang is trying to say by throwing you (@freelosophy ) into another thread is no one really knows what charging cycles like you inquired about really do. The standard anonymous quote from an anonymous GM engineer who we hope doesn't really work at 7-11 is that they engineered the car to be California compliant, in that it is made with Proposition 65 materials, it's idiot proof, and they have calculated everything stupid we might do to the car and it'll just go and go and go and go. We can talk about battery chemicals, and discuss why the red wire is usually positive and the black one is negative and sometimes called the neutral or we can just enjoy the car, trust in GM .... they never engineer anything poorly, right? And just roll with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I absolutely love the car! My biggest problem is keeping it away from my wife. She drives a big 2015 Sienna and prefers my Bolt. Even the the three kids prefer going in the Bolt than the Sienna. I keep telling them there's more room in the Sienna but . . . Spent all day Monday detailing the Sienna maybe that will help me keep my Bolt ;) I spent a fair of time before I bought this 2017 Bolt with 22k on it. Comparing to the other EVs and reading and finding so little reliable information. This forum is s GOD send for newbies with Bolt like me. But my nature is to understand and analyse. What can I say. I got Torque Pro working finally after more effort than should of taken. The dam Excel spreadsheet somehow added a comma in front of every line. Tried importing every which way but to no avail. Ended up just deleting manually and now it works. I guess finding a reference manual explaining what each of those entries means is a pipe dream ? But I do like the way it displays the battery voltage for each of the 96 cells, EVs are so cool. Thanks for all the help I've received here !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any updates on those with Juicebox, anyone have the new 48 amp unit with the new housing?
I have the 32 Next Gen - really saw no reason to wire for more than the Bolt can use. IMHO, at this point, any attempt at future proofing is a crapshoot. By the time I'm ready to replace the Bolt, battery tech will probably be on it's third generation (or later).

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
77 Posts
I have the 32 Next Gen - really saw no reason to wire for more than the Bolt can use. IMHO, at this point, any attempt at future proofing is a crapshoot. By he time I'm ready to replace the Bolt, battery tech will probably be on it's third generation (or later).
I'm with you. I use a 30A EVSE that I paid about $400 for. I drive more than most due to a 130 mile commute, so I replace 20-30kWh daily. At 30A, it rarely takes more than four hours to top off.

I am nearing retirement, so Bolt may be my last new car. Certainly, my daily driving will drop. Even if I got a new car with 48A AC capability, I likely wouldn't need anything more than the 30A unit I currently own.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm with you. I use a 30A EVSE that I paid about $400 for. I drive more than most due to a 130 mile commute, so I replace 20-30kWh daily. At 30A, it rarely takes more than four hours to top off.

I am nearing retirement, so Bolt may be my last new car. Certainly, my daily driving will drop. Even if I got a new car with 48A AC capability, I likely wouldn't need anything more than the 30A unit I currently own.
A lot of Mights . The only reason why I'm thinking of doing it is because enel WILL give me a brand new unit for $100 under warranty. I still have to find out if the new Unit comes with another 3 year warranty. The 48 amp Unit MIGHT come in handy IF;
New cars have higher L2 rates (like volkswagen will), IF You have more than 1 EV that needs charged. IF You have a huge solar / wind array and You want to make sure the extra sunny day goes into the cars not back to the grid as quickly as possible. For my understanding here.
Q1. Anyone trade theirs in under warranty?
Q2. Any feedback on the new housing unit? The CS rep acted like only the housing changed but who knows for sure and the rep admitted he is new to the job and the company.
Q3. Anyone have a Tesla and use the higher amp juicebox? My understanding is some of the Teslas can charge higher than Bolt which maxes out at 32 amps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Another batch of IFs/ mights in favor of a higher amp juicebox,
If You forgot to plug in and needed quicker range,
If You are doing Uber / Lyft / some other delivery and need as much milage back as quickly as possible because You drive a lot
IF there are temp extremes and You want to pre heat / pre cool as quickly as possible without losing 100% of electricity from charging to precondition process;
IF You have friends/ Relatives who have EVs with higher wattage L2 charging.
IF You plan on listing on plugshare and want to monetize the charger.
IF You have a business and hope to attract EV customers.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts