Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was called a dirty name because I wouldn't jump someone with my bolt. I looked in owners manual but didn't see if you can use the bolt to jump an ice car. I suppose it is possible but is it advisable?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have done so a few times. It is the exact same as a dinosaur car.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
The Bolt accessory battery (8) is a 50 Ah, 520 cold cranking amp, AGM battery. With the Bolt "on", it is being feed ~1500 watts of power from the accessory battery charger (5).

1602680758849.png

·
Registered
346 Posts
So the knowledgable people here agree it is fine and to proceed as a normal car procedure if someone needs a jump?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
So the knowledgable people here agree it is fine and to proceed as a normal car procedure if someone needs a jump?
People have done it, and it has worked. I would still feel much better, if GM would put out an acceptable procedure. Or, if they think it is a problem, why not to do it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I gave someone a jump start with my Prius C, and folks on the Prius forum were aghast. It worked just fine. The biggest issue I had with the Prius C was the location of the 12V battery beneath the rear seat, which made it hard to run cables to the car in distress.

The only thing to worry about is that the 12V batteries on hybrids and EVs are quite small, so you want to make sure the car is turned "ON" so that the DC/DC converter backstops the energy in the battery with additional 12V power fed from the main high voltage battery. That should prevent draining your 12V battery or causing its voltage to drop too far, causing all sorts of strange error codes from the many sensors throughout the car.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I gave someone a jump start with my Prius C, and folks on the Prius forum were aghast. It worked just fine. The biggest issue I had with the Prius C was the location of the 12V battery beneath the rear seat, which made it hard to run cables to the car in distress.
The Prius has a dedicated "jump" terminal under the hood in the fuse box. Not sure it's rated to crank another car though. Might only want to utilize it to charge the other cars weak battery, but not crank it.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
86 Posts
I also keep a small Motomaster booster pack in my bolt as well just in case.
It is a smart idea to have one no matter what.
I have one also. It works as a usb power bank and flashlight as well. I needed a jump in addition to a tow last year when my Bolt went from 14 miles of range to dead. It now stays in the Bolt full time at ~80% charged.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have one also. It works as a usb power bank and flashlight as well. I needed a jump in addition to a tow last year when my Bolt went from 14 miles of range to dead. It now stays in the Bolt full time at ~80% charged.
I got the smaller one than yours. No flashlight but it works well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the smaller one than yours. No flashlight but it works well.
I'd imagine not a whole lot of power is required. The one I have is only ~20watt hours, but the cells are stupid powerful. I can start my Corolla on it alone, and it will just barely turn over my f150's 4.9L engine, by itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How do you jumpstart a Bolt? There are no spark plugs.
You're just powering the computers on, which then close the HV battery contactors, which will then allow for charging the HV battery and charge the 12v battery.

Reactions: GJETSON
1 - 20 of 27 Posts