Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I quit jump starting others when gassers started coming with computers on board.
My automotive electrical instructor scared us with enough stories about damaged modules that I also quit jumping with my own car long ago. In the colder months I carry a Jump-n-Carry box (it will start a dump-truck) and I'm more than happy to help anyone out. Having a separate box makes it a lot easier, too.

But nobody is connecting their car directly to mine...especially with their "speaker wire" discount store jumper cables. And those people are usually the ones who sit there and make sure the jumper cable sparks a bunch when they connect it to their battery to verify the connection is good. :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My automotive electrical instructor scared us with enough stories about damaged modules that I also quit jumping with my own car long ago. In the colder months I carry a Jump-n-Carry box (it will start a dump-truck) and I'm more than happy to help anyone out. Having a separate box makes it a lot easier, too.

But nobody is connecting their car directly to mine...especially with their "speaker wire" discount store jumper cables. And those people are usually the ones who sit there and make sure the jumper cable sparks a bunch when they connect it to their battery to verify the connection is good. :oops:
Yes, those folks who call you ugly names for not jumping their vehicle would call you a whole lot worse name for frying their ECM, even if it wasn't your fault.

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
74 Posts
That....made no sense whatsoever. You cannot jumpstart a car by spark plugs.
I think he was referring to what most of us would consider bump starting, where you roll an ICEV and then engage the engine to start it.

Reactions: Digi

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yes, those folks who call you ugly names for not jumping their vehicle would call you a whole lot worse name for frying their ECM, even if it wasn't your fault.
I'm all for freedom of choice, so name calling for not volunteering is uncalled for.

That said, what is the risk of jumping a car? The other car would have to have some fault that sends way too much voltage back to your car to fry it, which is unlikely given the fact that the troubled car has too little voltage.

It's like having a case full of water, and denying a person who clearly is in desperate need of water because there's a vanishingly small chance we'll end up like the person in need.

To reiterate, I wouldn't begrudge someone for choosing not to help. I'm just pointing out that in my experience, helping others (which always involves some cost) is gratifying, and minor inconveniences to me can offset major ones for others.

As pointed out already, the optimal solution for everyone is to carry a jump pack. They are as cheap as $20 on sale, and everyone will need one at some point. A single use likely justifies the purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That....made no sense whatsoever. You cannot jumpstart a car by spark plugs.
What are you 'jumping' when you're not using the second car's battery to ignite the spark plugs in an ICE? In an electric motor there doesn't seem to be anything to 'jump' with an instantaneous rush of current.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
That said, what is the risk of jumping a car? The other car would have to have some fault that sends way too much voltage back to your car to fry it, which is unlikely given the fact that the troubled car has too little voltage.
I think the biggest risk with EVs and hybrids, which have very small batteries compared to an ICE vehicle, is overloading your battery and draining it to the point where it either won't be able to start your own car or ends up with such a big voltage drop that it triggers a bunch of spurious sensor readings and diagnostic codes. All it takes is that to happen a person or two who cry wolf on some Internet forums for the whole thing to get a bad name.

But my experience with the Prius C is that you're unlikely to have any problems as long as you make sure that the car is "On" so that the 12V battery is being backstopped by the high voltage battery which provides additional 12V power through the DC/DC converter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts