Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Bolt still only charges at 50kw while even the Nissan Leaf is up to 100kw and most other manufacturers are well above that. Has the charge rate not increased due to the fact Chevy knew about the battery issue earlier and didn’t want more fires?
The Bolt is 5 years old and nothing has changed in all those years. Sad!

·
Registered
527 Posts
There's not much room for it to go up with the new chemistry. GM didn't want to invest in the R&D for improving the rest of the system to handle a minor increase. They aren't selling the Bolt as a long distance touring car. The charge rates will still suffer horribly at low temperatures without being able to prepare the battery for fast charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To add to my frustration on charging I’m planning a trip of 211 miles from Newbury, MA to Albany, NY. I looked on PlugShare for a DCFC in Albany since I need to come back the same day. There are two DCFCs at two different Chevy dealers and both are broken. I’m going to go for a buyout and get a Tesla. Not sure how Chevy can think they’ll go all electric. They are becoming dinosaurs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's not much room for it to go up with the new chemistry. GM didn't want to invest in the R&D for improving the rest of the system to handle a minor increase. They aren't selling the Bolt as a long distance touring car. The charge rates will still suffer horribly at low temperatures without being able to prepare the battery for fast charging.
Chevy indicated they are moving to ALL electric. They had better come up with a long distance touring car or they are finished.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The charge rates will still suffer horribly at low temperatures without being able to prepare the battery for fast charging.
You can/should leave your car in the "on" position while DCFC, especially in the winter. This will activate the battery heater (pulling power from the charger) so that your battery warms faster and your car will most likely reach its max charge rate. I've done it many times and it helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Chevy indicated they are moving to ALL electric. They had better come up with a long distance touring car or they are finished.
Of course they will. But the plan for the Bolt was always as a stopgap to Ultium, at which time the maximum charging speeds will increase significantly. After the Bolt recalls, I expect we will see the transition as soon as GM can "safely" manage it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's why they have gen3 bevs coming out in the next few months. That are an entirely different platform and different cells with different chemistry.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Has the charge rate not increased due to the fact Chevy knew about the battery issue earlier and didn’t want more fires?
No.
Changing the charge rate would require software changes and most likely hardware changes to the BMS. Instead of using resources for that, GM decided to use all those resources for Ultium.
We have to remember that design decisions for the Bolt were made around 2014 when 50kW charging was state of the art. The EV world is changing rapidly (as most industries do in their infancy). Most large companies are weighted down by bureaucracy and slow to make changes. GM is no exception.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even though I've never used a DCFC (and no plans to since I don't have plans to do long distances with an EV), I suppose this is another reason I'm still waiting and glad to aim for a buyback.

Pretty much all upcoming EVs can charge at a higher rate and even though it's not needed by some, like someone said, it's still 2014 'old' tech to not be able to use it in rare/emergency cases and has value if you needed to sell the car for whatever reason.

I think the Lyriq can charge up to 190kW from the Lyriq website.

When we all got our Bolts, we were all hoping for at least even minor/media center updates since there is that check update thing, but I think the train has left the station for anything really new/updated in the Bolt outside of this battery issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can/should leave your car in the "on" position while DCFC, especially in the winter. This will activate the battery heater (pulling power from the charger) so that your battery warms faster and your car will most likely reach its max charge rate. I've done it many times and it helps.
If you are on a road trip and have been cruising on the freeway, the battery will already be warm. If you are stopping at a hotel, then charge the night before checking in, rather than cold soaking the car overnight and then charging.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Factory cable is 14/3, capacity 18-20 amps. Charger in car sized similarly. There's your answer.
The DC charging cable to the battery is capable of 150A continuous. The battery is also capable of 160KW output instantaneously which which would be >400A for short bursts to the motors.

Even level 2 charging is up to 32A and in fact is up to 48A on the 22 models.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,960 Posts
To add to my frustration on charging I’m planning a trip of 211 miles from Newbury, MA to Albany, NY. I looked on PlugShare for a DCFC in Albany since I need to come back the same day. There are two DCFCs at two different Chevy dealers and both are broken. I’m going to go for a buyout and get a Tesla. Not sure how Chevy can think they’ll go all electric. They are becoming dinosaurs.
GM (not just Chevy) IS moving to all electric and is improving their range and charge rates. Just not for your Bolt. Your Bolt may become a dinosaur, but not Chevy or GM.

Sounds like buyer's remorse for a particular car more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You didn't look very hard. Albany is very well covered in DCFCs.

Electrify America works very reliably. This is my preffered stop in Albany.

EVgo has multiple chargers in the area. I have used them all without issue. But they are slower and pricier than EA.

EVolve NY is also working on a handful of locations in the area, but none are open yet. So that doesn't help your trip, but it will be a boon to non-Tesla EVs. They will be open by next summer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What I read is internal design of the pack, namely, heat sink on only one side of the modules, limits the charge rate.

Abetterrouteplanner is your friend.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy bolt premier with Made in USA battery
35 Posts
There are several in Albany in PlugShare, including one at a supermarket.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wish I could find it, but there was a neat article that measured the DCFC charge speeds of a massive number of electric cars... and even cars rated well above 55kw did not always pull those numbers during charging (and some did not charge nearly as fast as expected). Indeed, even the Bolt doesn't always pull the full 55kw. Bolt was one of the worst, though there were some higher rated cars that were surprisingly pretty slow too!

Between the battery and charging infrastructure, my impression is 55kw is probably OK for the very near future. A majority of EVgos I sampled (on plugshare) near me are still 50kw CCS though nearby EAs are 150 kw. YMMV.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you are on a road trip and have been cruising on the freeway, the battery will already be warm. If you are stopping at a hotel, then charge the night before checking in, rather than cold soaking the car overnight and then charging.
Freeway driving isn't enough to keep the battery warm if it's 0F or lower outside. I know this from experience. Trips like that require multiple stops because your range is in the shitter anyway, and it's really frustrating that the battery now has to get warmed up again before reaching a reasonable rate of charge.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts