Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Hello from San Diego. I just bought a loaded bolt premier it will be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday.

They have not collected money yet but I started the process. I'm having some buyers remorse though. I am a model 3 reservation holder and estimated delivery time was going to be April/June. The M3 would have cost about the same money had I selected the base model, and premium package (standard battery), so I think I may have made a mistake. What pushed me into getting the bolt was not knowing what was going to happen to the tax credit, meaning an additional 10k off for me (state and federal). The wife said she needs a new car too and said I should still get the M3 later, and give her the bolt so maybe I'd be alright in the end anyways.

I am reading about uncomfortable seats though. I thought they were ok on the test drive but I wasn't in the car for an hour like I would be on my daily commute. I get back pain from my ford focus seats and was hoping to find an EV that would be an upgrade from the focus as I'm tired of using back pillows to make it bearable. I'm kind of worried now that I will have a future of numb legs and more back pain?

Also It really just doesn't do it for me like an M3 would, the lack of style and hard plastic interior reminds me of some other not so fun cars. The hatch is more practical than the M3 though, but not as spacious as the focus. It's expensive too, although I understand the reduced cost of owning an EV should offset the increased price.

But 2 EVs and 2 high payments (should I still get the M3)? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as I am not sure how I will charge them yet. I have a 220v dryer plug in the garage but I wasn't planning on parking them in the garage because I am in California. Plus I think I need more amps so I guess I should have an electrician come out and install a couple 50 amp circuits? Maybe put the chargers on the outside of the garage but put the outlets on the inside?

Should I buy something to plug into the 220 outlet in the meantime? Should I try to get out of the sale?

·
Registered
979 Posts
There's not enough excitement and appreciation for the Bolt. Get the spouse a new or good used Mazda 3. And wait for your Model 3. If the Model 3 never comes there may be a used market developing for Bolt at that time. All of that may ease the financial burden and solve the competition for charging outlets.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Welcome! I understand your trepidation. The vast majority of us have no issue with the seat. I have owned mine for 6 months and 5,200 miles and never found the seats uncomfortable. My wife enjoys driving it and has no complaint, when I told her of this discussion on line she replied "what ??". My friend, who owns two Bolts now, he and his wife both also like the seats and are also surprised at the discussion.

I will mention that I prefer a firm mattress, so a firm seat is actually preferable to me. I continue to be surprised when I see all the discussion and mention of the seats in reviews and wonder how much is real and how much is revised observation based on the power of suggestion. No idea.

Any uncertainty I had regarding my Bolt vehicle acquisition was minimized after the first month and gone by month three. I find it a blast to drive, love the acceleration and the dashboard layout. If DC fast charging infrastructure was in place for it today in NY I would have two Bolts in the garage.

I do so admire Tesla and was very much looking forward to the M3, so many design aspects going for it, not the least of which is access to the Tesla supercharger network.

A few recent developments give me considerable pause though, regarding the model 3. The lack of a simple dashboard to display your speed and turn signal blinker, distance to empty, etc. The requirement to adjust the cabin airflow from the touchscreen. The compromised back seat headroom and seating comfort, low seating position, to obtain the styling and aerodynamic drag. The still unknown maintenance costs, if you go by the S or the X it could be $500 per year or more, which does not compare very favorably with the Chevy Bolt at $0 for the first two years, GM covers the first two service visits, which is only tire rotation anyway.

The lack of robust M3 design validation, and presumed lower than average reliability, the lack of the ability to lease an M3 and of course the ambiguity of the potential delivery date.

Good luck with your analysis and final decision whatever way you go...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I"ve had my Bolt for a couple weeks. I had a LEAF before, so its a nice upgrade. Still getting to know the seats...I will prob do some upgrading on them as a nice thing for my wife....she's not really unhappy with them.

Go ahead and use the 240V dryer outlet for now....the stock EVSE works at 120V or 240V. You just need an adapter to mate the cord with the dryer outlet. If you are handy at all, you can make one in a few minutes with parts from a hardware store...like a dryer cord and a 5-15R outlet.. And you will get 2.9 kW charging, which will get you 60% of a full charge overnight. And cost like $20-30.

Worry about the M3 and fancier EVSE solutions later. In the meantime, just try to enjoy your new Bolt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a former Tesla Model S owner with a Model 3 reservation too.

With the expected repeal of the $7,500 tax credit next year and the $6,000 off MSRP I got, I decided to bite the bullet now for the Chevy Bolt.

So far, it has been a great car (hope I don't have any issues as noted on this forum) and I would be completely happy with it if it had auto drive like my Model S did. For me, the Bolt seats have been just fine and was even able to get an adapter so I could use my home Tesla Level 2 charger. The 200 mile range works for me and I like having CarPlay which is not available with Tesla.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had my Bolt for 5 months and have driven over 8,000 km (~5,000 miles). I have had no problems with the seats, and I find them to be quite comfortable. Just like you will not get agreement on what is the perfect sofa or bed mattress, not everybody will agree on car seat comfort. Our bodies are all different, so one size does not necessarily fit all. Nobody on this forum can know for certain whether you will find the seats comfortable. If you haven't closed the deal, I suggest you go to the dealer and ask them to sit in a Bolt for an hour or so. That will answer your question about seat comfort.

If your daily commute is an hour, you will definitely need a Level 2 EVSE either inside or outside your garage so that you can fully recharge to 100% overnight. Most EVSEs can be installed either inside or outside. The Bolt EV draws no more than 32 amps, so typically a 40 amp circuit will do just fine. You can install a higher rated circuit (e.g., 50 amps) in case you ever purchase another EV that can charge at a faster rate. In terms of the EVSE wiring, your electrician can inspect the site and provide an expert opinion on the best solution to suit your needs.

In terms of your comments about interior style and "hard plastics", beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have previously posted that I quite like the interior appearance. My fully optioned out Lincoln MKX includes mostly soft surfaces, leather, and glossy wood. To me, my Lincoln looks dated and old-fashioned, and I prefer the more modern Bolt interior. But these are personal perceptions, and nobody else's style opinions should matter to you. If you like the interior styling, then you do. If not, then you don't. Nobody can change your mind about that.

As for the usefulness of a hatch, again, that is a personal decision for you. Some of us could not live without the hatch utility. Some of us like hatch styling. However, others have no use for the larger hatch opening and storage space, and instead prefer a sedan because of style preferences and/or better aerodynamics. Only you can know if you like the Bolt's hatch styling/utility.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. If you decide to buy a Bolt EV, this forum is a terrific place to learn more about your new vehicle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've taken my Bolt on multiple long trips. Some were as long as 5 hours each way. I've never had trouble with the seats. My wife drives it almost an hour each way to work and she never complained about the seats either. If you do have a problem, it's not hard to modify the seats to your liking.

If the base model M3 were available, I probably would have bought that just for the cool factor. But as a practical matter, I love the Bolt. And it is REALLY fun to drive, even though your friends will never believe it until you let them drive yours. Then they are hooked.

Do the back seats in the M3 go forward? I heard that they don't in the Model X. That would be a deal breaker for me if they don't.

I also don't think I would like the M3 dash controls. But I haven't tried it and a lot of people say it's not a problem. It seems that the real reason Tesla placed zero physical buttons on the dash is because they want you to be able to turn the M3 into your own personal driverless Uber service. So you need to be able to lock down all controls electronically.

Unless your Tesla reservation is really soon, you'll probably be shut out of the $7500 tax credit anyway. And if you are getting the base model, it probably won't be built for a very long time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
OP, you might want to research the chargers (evse) that allow sharing of one outlet between two or more cars. The Tesla wall unit does for one. I think Juicebox is another.

Seats are ok to me and I'm fussy. At least there are illustrated posts for showing how to fix whatever the problem is.

I would definitely get a couple quotes for updating the electrical works.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OP, you might want to research the chargers (evse) that allow sharing of one outlet between two or more cars. The Tesla wall unit does for one. I think Juicebox is another.
Clipper Creek also has models that can allow two evse's to share one outlet.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Clipper Creek also has models that can allow two evse's to share one outlet.
They don't share one outlet, they share one circuit (they will communicate with each other to keep the current draw within the circuit limitations).
The Clipper Creek units are hardwire only (no plug), and have thermostat/bell wire connecting them to allow communication. If one EV is charging, it gets 100% of the power, if two are charging, each get 50%.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tesla's chargers are $500 each - and you can buy 2 for the price of _ONE_ ClipperCreek charge that can share a circuit

I'm running 3 Tesla Units in my home and they share the 60 amp load just fine with the 3 EV's in my household (including a Bolt)

also the Tesla units adjust load based on charging demand - all 3 cars start out getting 16 amps each (48 amps total to split) - as cars finish charging the Tesla charger adjust the load to the remaining cars to get more of the load - with the final car getting a full 48 amps after the other 2 cars have finished charging - it's pretty slick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The M3 + Premium would be 35k + 5k + 1k delivery, and "maybe" get the 7.5k Fed credit based on your reservation date, and of course contingent on if they axe it in reconciliation (and pass the tax bill).

The Bolt Premium loaded retails at around 43.5k, but sells for 37.5 - 38.5k in California usually. With the guarantee of the fed tax credit that's ~30k and with the Cali rebate down to $27.5k. I don't see how this compares to a M3, let alone with the Tesla Premium package added on. Financially there is very little to compare here, it would seem.

Don't do something you'll regret though - people are far more emotional than rational. Buying a new car is already a sub-optimal financial decision, so decide now how important your financials are, compared to your "feels". :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Woke up this morning and I'm feeling kinda sick over this. Spent all day yesterday driving up to that dealership (2 hours each weay) only to find out they had already sold the car, before I called and confirmed they still had it. They had another one in silver though just not added to their inventroy, so that would have been ok. It's a nice car and I love seeing them on the road.

I do really want a M3 though. Lots of advantages to the bolt, like service centers all over, and being able to get the tax write off, but also lots of advantages to the M3, like the charging network and cool factor. I delayed delivery of the vehicle to Wednesday, but I guess it could sell before then. I'm tempted to just hold off for my M3 since it's what the heart desires however impractical it, and whatever the increased expenses may be. If the tax incentive goes away, people will drop off the list and I will have the opportunity get get one sooner than later, although I'd have to change over to the base model plus premium package.

Or screw it buy one of each...

To add to the cimplication, I have a ford focus I'm trying to get ford to buy back due to several transmission repairs... Not sure how that will go or when that will get settled, but I can't trade the car in for now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
From your first post I thought you might say something like that, you don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a tough compromise and then see Model 3's driving around town making you sad whenever you see them! Happiness is subjective, and only somewhat malleable. You know what you want!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with BlackBolt, and would only add the suggestion you talk with your wife about these issues, and construct a joint plan with her. You need a strategy that accommodates each of your driving needs, your need for pain-free driving, your financial situation, and yes--your happiness.

Some random thoughts, based on my minimal understanding:
- Bolts will start coming off-lease in late 2019 in your state. Is buying a cheap, used ICE vehicle and waiting a possible strategy?
- Can you get a Bolt on an overnight test drive to see how it will fit your body? The discomfort with the Bolt front seats is not universal.
- The fact that you already have a 220v to the garage indicates to me that you have time to think through charging options.
- Will a loaded LT suit your needs? That will give back around $3500.

Good luck however you decide to go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was in the M3 reservation line (like 434,000), and was pretty sure that one of two ways I was not going to get the tax credit (either through original sunset clause, or through current politics). When my old car had troubles last month, my wife and I bit the bullet and bought both a Bolt (my primary) and a Volt (her primary).

I actually didn't love the seats during test drive, but have no problems now (3 weeks in). There are numerous things that I love about the Bolt -
- great road vision (it's a bit taller than most sedans, has wide open windows, and I have the blind spot sensors that I have learned to use with regularity)
- infotainment system (the last new car I bought was 2006 model, so having hands free connected is awesome)
- smart security features (it knows to let me open without touching the key fob, it reminds me if things are in back seat{probably intended for infants, but cool})
- the iPhone app is helpful to check status, pre-condition the car (warm or cool) while on wall plug, or even unlock remotely.

I did bite the bullet on hiring an electrician to add 2 new 240V outlets (cost $1000, including expanding breaker). I bought one charger that plugs into 240V for the Bolt (Maxgreen on Amazon) that works well. I also bought a simple converter for the Volt (since it does not have the same charging needs, the included EVSE works with the converter) on Etsy. I'd suggest looking for that converter to utilize your current dryer outlet. And just clean out the garage to park there.

I get the deal about wanting the Tesla. I love the vision that Elon has for the world, and his cars being a huge part of it. But I also greatly admire that GM got there first in a truly admirable, relatively affordable car. If the tax incentive is a big deal for you (it was for me), then go for it. I really like the Bolt. If you have the flexibility to hold your spot in line for the M3, then go for that one too. I used my refund to pay my electrician (see above).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in the M3 reservation line (like 434,000), and was pretty sure that one of two ways I was not going to get the tax credit (either through original sunset clause, or through current politics). When my old car had troubles last month, my wife and I bit the bullet and bought both a Bolt (my primary) and a Volt (her primary).

I actually didn't love the seats during test drive, but have no problems now (3 weeks in). There are numerous things that I love about the Bolt -
- great road vision (it's a bit taller than most sedans, has wide open windows, and I have the blind spot sensors that I have learned to use with regularity)
- infotainment system (the last new car I bought was 2006 model, so having hands free connected is awesome)
- smart security features (it knows to let me open without touching the key fob, it reminds me if things are in back seat{probably intended for infants, but cool})
- the iPhone app is helpful to check status, pre-condition the car (warm or cool) while on wall plug, or even unlock remotely.

I did bite the bullet on hiring an electrician to add 2 new 240V outlets (cost $1000, including expanding breaker). I bought one charger that plugs into 240V for the Bolt (Maxgreen on Amazon) that works well. I also bought a simple converter for the Volt (since it does not have the same charging needs, the included EVSE works with the converter) on Etsy. I'd suggest looking for that converter to utilize your current dryer outlet. And just clean out the garage to park there.

I get the deal about wanting the Tesla. I love the vision that Elon has for the world, and his cars being a huge part of it. But I also greatly admire that GM got there first in a truly admirable, relatively affordable car. If the tax incentive is a big deal for you (it was for me), then go for it. I really like the Bolt. If you have the flexibility to hold your spot in line for the M3, then go for that one too. I used my refund to pay my electrician (see above).
Garage has 2 quads a a Polaris RzR inside. Don't really want them sitting outside. I want to sell the quads but they are broken hah! The car would fit if I kept the RzR in the toyhauler I guess but 2 cars will not fit in my 2 car garage (it's on the small side and I have a workbench and shelfs)... I'm having a hard time envisioning charging a car with the outlet for our Dryer, It's towards the front of the garage so a semi long extension cord or charging outside would be needed, and the garage door left slightly up as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Woke up this morning and I'm feeling kinda sick over this. Spent all day yesterday driving up to that dealership (2 hours each weay) only to find out they had already sold the car, before I called and confirmed they still had it. They had another one in silver though just not added to their inventroy, so that would have been ok. It's a nice car and I love seeing them on the road.

I do really want a M3 though. Lots of advantages to the bolt, like service centers all over, and being able to get the tax write off, but also lots of advantages to the M3, like the charging network and cool factor. I delayed delivery of the vehicle to Wednesday, but I guess it could sell before then. I'm tempted to just hold off for my M3 since it's what the heart desires however impractical it, and whatever the increased expenses may be. If the tax incentive goes away, people will drop off the list and I will have the opportunity get get one sooner than later, although I'd have to change over to the base model plus premium package.

Or screw it buy one of each...

To add to the cimplication, I have a ford focus I'm trying to get ford to buy back due to several transmission repairs... Not sure how that will go or when that will get settled, but I can't trade the car in for now.
Just follow your heart I say. I totally get the Tesla thing. I too cancelled the M3 simply because I did not want to wait for it. But I will have a tesla one day (my dream is the model x). To me it is like when I bought my first ICE (Pontiac sunFire), envisioning an SUV. From there I bought a hybrid Ford Escape, then a Ford Edge then finally my Toyota Sequoia. Now I start with new technology, bolt ev and then keep upgrading until I reach the model x or any other similar electric I would like.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm tempted to just hold off for my M3 since it's what the heart desires however impractical it, and whatever the increased expenses may be
With the model 3 in one's heart I think waiting for a model 3 is a good idea. It may come a lot quicker than you think: if Tesla succeeds in getting up to production volume of 3's in 2018 they're talking about. The volume of 3's will exceed the volume of say, Honda Civics. Unless Tesla quickly introduces different body styles and vehicle packages, the 3 is going to lose its "cool" factor quite quickly. At that point the Musky factor will wear out too. A lot of preorders will evaporate. As it stands now judging by the projected volume it seems the Model 3 is aimed to be the people's EV car. After you see too many of them on the roads it'll look like just another sporty sedan with minus a front grille with a guppy-like front fascia.

Bolt doesn't have that downside. It's plain jane looking vehicle right out of the chute.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts