Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got mine Friday, have put on 125 miles so far. I'm in the Boston area. I'm loving the car but have range anxiety. The dealer gave me the car fully charged, and it read 200 as the range. I figured it wasn't quite full, but have not been able to get any higher. This morning it read 196. Hilltop reserve is off. If it matters I've only used the 110 charger thus far, I work at home so the car sits in my driveway all day. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A 240 volt charge station does wonders for range anxiety. Knowing you can top up in a few hours is great. Or find a DC fast charger, near you, for unexpected long drives.

Do you use the heater? The heater will pull lots of power, if you keep the air coming out of the vents feeling toasty, like I always did with my gas cars. It is especially bad in city driving where the heater could use as much energy as driving. For rides over 75 miles we have settled on setting the temp to 72 degrees, and fan on 1 or 2, and use recirculator on low humidity days. The air coming out of the vents at 72 is actually reasonably warm, but the wind chill effect of higher fan speeds makes it feel cool....like those awful, high efficiency, forced air, home heating systems.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Your range will be lower in the winter due to a few factors. First is any battery has lower capacity in cold weather. During the summer you have a 60 kWh battery, but during cold temperatures your battery capacity may only be 54 kWh. So you could have 10% reduced mileage with that alone. Second is it takes a lot of energy to heat the cabin in cold weather. The heating system can draw up to 9 kW I believe. There is also more air mass in colder weather, so air resistance is greater during winter months. I would seriously consider getting a level 2 charger for your house. Waking up to a full charge every morning takes the range anxiety away.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Andy, you might want to peruse the "charging and batteries" sub forum here. Link: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/

One such awesome post is by Bill where he says in part:

DCFC (50kW): 90mi/30m or 160mi/h
DCFC (25kW): 45mi/30m or 90mi/h
DCFC (12.5kW): 22.5mi/30m 45mi/h
[email protected] (7.04kW): 25mi/h or 8h31m
[email protected] (5.06kW): 18mi/h or 12h
[email protected] (3.52kW): 12.5mi/h or 17h
[email protected] (2.88kW): 11.42mi/h or 20h50m
[email protected] (1.44kW): 5.7mi/h or 41h40m
[email protected] (0.960kW): 3.8mi/h or 62h30m
Those numbers are based on the EPA range numbers, as well as straight (no-loss) charging, so they have to be taken with a grain of salt. The last column is approximate time for a full charge from "0" battery.

Link:: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/16738-charging-table.html

Personally, I'm gonna see how it goes here charging at 220 with a home made adapter.

Welcome, I get my keys today!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts