Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premier
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and only official communication for a 2020. Nothing new:

At Chevrolet it is our mission to keep you, our customer, at the center of everything we do. To that end, we are writing you today to hear from Chevrolet directly about your vehicle. General Motors is voluntarily expanding the current Chevrolet Bolt EV recall to cover the remaining 2019 and all 2020-2022 model year vehicles, including the Bolt EUV. In rare circumstances, LG batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have manufacturing defects which increase the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective lithium ion battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules as parts become available. To provide you with peace of mind, your battery will receive an 8-year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1
We are working aggressively with LG to increase production as soon as possible. We will notify you when replacement parts are ready. For your safety we are asking for you to immediately do the following:
1. Set your vehicle to a 90% state of charge limitation using Target Charge Level mode. Instructions on how to do this are available at www.chevy.com/boltevrecall. If you are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking you to visit your dealer to have these adjustments completed.
2. Charge your vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting your battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.
3. Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight.
We understand that trust is earned and not given, and we are committed to regaining your trust. We know you have a lot of questions. Our team is working hard to get you answers and we plan to be in regular communication. Please visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall, contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.–midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday from noon–9 p.m. ET), or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer for the latest information.
Chevrolet’s transition to an all-electric future is predicated on our relentless desire to do the right thing, and I want to thank you for putting your trust in our brand.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of this is just reiteration of what we already know.

However, I’m interested in the “To provide you with peace of mind, your battery will receive an 8-year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty”

Since initial correspondence from GM regarding the 2020+ models hinted that they would only be replacing defective modules, and that those replaced modules would only get the fresh warranty and not the entire battery, this makes it sound like it will be the entire battery after all?

Time will tell I guess. IMO though, that’s the least they can do…

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt 2LT
14 Posts
First and only official communication for a 2020. Nothing new:

At Chevrolet it is our mission to keep you, our customer, at the center of everything we do. To that end, we are writing you today to hear from Chevrolet directly about your vehicle. General Motors is voluntarily expanding the current Chevrolet Bolt EV recall to cover the remaining 2019 and all 2020-2022 model year vehicles, including the Bolt EUV. In rare circumstances, LG batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have manufacturing defects which increase the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective lithium ion battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules as parts become available. To provide you with peace of mind, your battery will receive an 8-year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1
We are working aggressively with LG to increase production as soon as possible. We will notify you when replacement parts are ready. For your safety we are asking for you to immediately do the following:
1. Set your vehicle to a 90% state of charge limitation using Target Charge Level mode. Instructions on how to do this are available at www.chevy.com/boltevrecall. If you are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking you to visit your dealer to have these adjustments completed.
2. Charge your vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting your battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.
3. Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight.
We understand that trust is earned and not given, and we are committed to regaining your trust. We know you have a lot of questions. Our team is working hard to get you answers and we plan to be in regular communication. Please visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall, contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.–midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday from noon–9 p.m. ET), or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer for the latest information.
Chevrolet’s transition to an all-electric future is predicated on our relentless desire to do the right thing, and I want to thank you for putting your trust in our brand.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet
Just got mine today for my 2022, its the exact same email (suprise,suprise)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I also received what looks like the email today at 12:10 pm Pacific for my '19 that was previously not recalled.

I believe this is also the first communication I've gotten from GM over this recall.

·
Premium Member
2022 Bolt EV 2LT Ghost Gray
30 Posts
Agreed that it's "communication" and this is good because there are plenty of owners who claim that they didn't see the recall in their "MyChevrolet" app (how/why that is, I am not sure). So it's great that they're finally letting the entire audience know about this.

The email does also state "Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective lithium ion battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules as parts become available." -- The "new modules" part is a bit of information that was crucial because Sean Graham / Telek had originally stated that there was a chance that GM was going to put refurbished modules into our cars. So a big step in the right direction, there.

The biggest "miss" here is the continued lack of expected timeline information. That being missing makes the rest of this nice/good to know but unfortunately not terribly helpful for planning purposes for those of us who are in the buyback process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got it as well...a mere 20 days after the recall news hit the wire.

Honestly...if GM can't deliver this news immediately (or by end of first weekend) to those of us affected by the recall, what hope do we have going forward of them doing ANYTHING in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
2018 Premier owner here. Still no notification in email or postal mail, but I have a link to the 7.23.21 recall notice via the MyChevrolet app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,056 Posts
So new batterie is "back on" ...should be hearing an official media update from GM soon

·
Registered
2020 Premier
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The biggest "miss" here is the continued lack of expected timeline information.
"Our team is working hard to get you answers and we plan to be in regular communication. " - I am standing by and eagerly await your next communication - which I need to decide if and when to start a buyback (or arbitration, or lemon law suit).

·
Premium Member
2022 Bolt EV 2LT Ghost Gray
30 Posts
"Our team is working hard to get you answers and we plan to be in regular communication. " - I am standing by and eagerly await your next communication - which I need to decide if and when to start a buyback (or arbitration, or lemon law suit).
Yeah, I already had a pretty clear notion that this process will take much longer than they want to admit to, just yet. Especially since they're giving priority to the 2017-2019 (first half of the year) cars. I'm not interested in having another extended period of waiting for them to fix this situation. But that's just me. I'm annoyed that the 2019(second half)-2022 model years ended up proving to be impacted after they declared these models to be unaffected. Ugly change in their story.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
289 Posts
What is fine print for the ‘1’ at the end of the paragraph for people that got this email?
Doesn’t seem like we got this email in Canada.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got mine too…2019 (US). It looks like they sent a bunch out today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
bolt 2022 LT1 cherry red
1 Posts
hi all
Finally Got the GM notice today here in quebec canada
a copy paste of the us version
with different contact information

This the firts time we receive info about the recall
I was aware of the recall by reading this forum and other web site
And took already action to reduce max charge to 90 and not going