Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
194 Posts
I just checked and I don't have any email. (I have a 2021).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Despite some people's desire to feel like they are teenagers again and complain about everything, there is also a more optimistic way of looking at this email.

-They got the word that owners were expecting some communication around Labor Day. We are getting it. Doesn't contain all the answers we want, but GM can't give us answers they don't yet have.

-It does say NEW modules, which squashes the refurb rumor

-For the hyper-anxious on here: Notice the charging recommendations say "where possible". Your Bolt will not just burst into flames the second the GOM falls below 70;no need to pull over at 71 and have it towed. I think the same goes for charging to 93% when needed.

-They admitted not having all the answers, but said they plan "regular communication" as they get answers and date estimates. We don't want silence and we don't want bad/changing information. So we got what we could from them at this point.
SO:....
If you liked your Bolt before the recall, and you believe the fire risk is small and that GM will take steps to lower that risk(it will never be zero) in the next year or so, then just drive it while mitigating risk to your own tolerance level

If you don't trust GM now, you won't ever trust them, even if they give you a whole new battery a month from now. Do a buyback and move on.

If you are extremely risk averse, and think your Bolt is the riskiest thing in your life; do a buyback and move on

Pick who you are and be happy.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,836 Posts
hi all
Finally Got the GM notice today here in quebec canada...a copy paste of the us version...with different contact information

This the firts time we receive info about the recall...I was aware of the recall by reading this forum and other web site...And took already action to reduce max charge to 90 and not going...Under 70 mi range
(emphasis added)
So I'll just point out that despite the emotional arguments, debates about numbers, and occasional errors, this forum has been a good source of information about the Bolt, including updates about the recall. People have learned really valuable information here before hearing directly from GM.

On that note, I continue to encourage people to bookmark / reference the stickied timeline / overview thread in the Recall section. We'll continue to try and keep that updated as much as possible.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Advanced notice from USPS says the official, printed, us mail recall notice is arriving today (my 2020). Which is good for owners that don't have a GM account, use the app, read this forum, etc. But it may increase the churn here and in the concierge department.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine came in the mail today. I had previously gotten an email notice a few days ago so I am assuming the language is similar if not exactly the same in the snail mail notice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Despite some people's desire to feel like they are teenagers again and complain about everything, there is also a more optimistic way of looking at this email.

-They got the word that owners were expecting some communication around Labor Day. We are getting it. Doesn't contain all the answers we want, but GM can't give us answers they don't yet have.

-It does say NEW modules, which squashes the refurb rumor

-For the hyper-anxious on here: Notice the charging recommendations say "where possible". Your Bolt will not just burst into flames the second the GOM falls below 70;no need to pull over at 71 and have it towed. I think the same goes for charging to 93% when needed.

-They admitted not having all the answers, but said they plan "regular communication" as they get answers and date estimates. We don't want silence and we don't want bad/changing information. So we got what we could from them at this point.
SO:....
If you liked your Bolt before the recall, and you believe the fire risk is small and that GM will take steps to lower that risk(it will never be zero) in the next year or so, then just drive it while mitigating risk to your own tolerance level

If you don't trust GM now, you won't ever trust them, even if they give you a whole new battery a month from now. Do a buyback and move on.

If you are extremely risk averse, and think your Bolt is the riskiest thing in your life; do a buyback and move on

Pick who you are and be happy.
Technically, if you look at the FAQ posted by GM on the NHTSA website (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V650-3363.pdf) only 2017-2019 are getting complete replacements. 2020-2022 are get replaced modules and does not describe the nature of the replacement models.

Q13) Why are you now saying you will replace “defective” modules when you previously said you would replace “all” modules?
A13) It’s in the best interest of our customers and in the best interests of safety to get these vehicles repaired as soon as possible. Additionally, we are replacing all battery modules in 2017-2019 model year Bolt EVs in order to provide these customers with our latest cell technology, which offers GM’s most advanced Boltchemistry and additional battery capacity. Customers who own 2020-2022 model year vehicles already have this technology in their vehicles, and selectively replacing only bad modules in these vehicles will help speed up the recall repair process for everyone. We are working on a process to identify which modules are defect-free and which need to be replaced. Once we have a validated process, we will be able to replace only those modules that are actually defective.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts