Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 285 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,745 Posts
I just got my MSRP Swap letter and it's nothing like I've ever seen. I was in a 12k/36 month lease and paid it all up front. I ordered my new EUV and has the VIN assigned.

They are giving me back my lease payments, but not doing a true MSRP swap. So if I paid 7k for the three year lease, they are just giving me that back towards a new vehicle's purchase or lease. There is also no usage deductions.

Has anyone experienced this before? This is in Texas btw
Can't say I've seen that before, but I'm not necessarily surprised. With a lease, you don't actually own the car. So I can't imagine how GM would be required to outright give you ownership of a new car.

If they're giving you all of your lease payments back to use with a new lease, how does that work out for you financially?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't say I've seen that before, but I'm not necessarily surprised. With a lease, you don't actually own the car. So I can't imagine how GM would be required to outright give you ownership of a new car.

If they're giving you all of your lease payments back to use with a new lease, how does that work out for you financially?
I guess that does make sense but I was hoping they would just keep the lease terms the same and just swap the vehicle. There is no way I can get a lease or purchase at terms even close to what I got my car for, so it would be a non-starter for me. I wonder if I can decline this offer, buyout the car from GM Financial, and then go through the swap process again and wonder if that would make a difference?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I guess that does make sense but I was hoping they would just keep the lease terms the same and put me the new EUV. There is no way I can get a lease or purchase at terms even close to what I got my car for, so it would be a non-starter for me. I wonder if I can decline this offer, buyout the car from GM, and then go through the swap process again and wonder if that would make a difference?
When you get the offer, is there a number to call to explain how they derived the figure and discuss changes? Seems so impersonal. I am concerned in case GM does not follow the state Lemon Law...

·
Registered
63 Posts
So a few days ago I got a second call in as many weeks from a Chevy rep informing me about the option to swap into a new 2022 EV or EUV from that "special allotment". I missed the first call, but managed to speak to her the second time, told her I was interested, at least in principle. To my surprise-- no, amazement, actually-- within 24 hours I'd been contacted by my local dealer and the same day found myself picking out a specific car from this set-aside group. I chose an EUV with Sun and Sound. (I currently have a 2020 EV Premier.) Now I wait to hear back.

Here's the rub-- if I correctly understood the rep who called me to arrange this, she said this was not the "MSRP swap" I've read so much about on this forum, but rather the financials would be handled the same way as a buyback (which I am also currently waiting for on my 2020 EV Premier). Which is to say, the top line would not be the MSRP of my 2020, but what I actually paid for it, less incentives and a usage deduction, the sum of which would go toward purchase of the EUV (after the bank was satisfied of course).

After doing some quick math, this doesn't seem like an super-amazing deal compared to a so-called MSRP swap. Instead, its basically just letting me put the equity I have in my current car down on a new one. The rep said that this swap process could likely be executed before a buyback, and definitely before a battery replacement so it gets me into an untainted and fully-functional Bolt sooner.

Has anyone else been through this yet swap process--specifically with the special allotment vehicles-- and was this pretty much what you were told/how it all shook out?

As an aside, I got a chance to sit in a powered-up EUV briefly, and it seems like the Bose stereo in the EUV is far superior to the one in my EV.

Thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
So a few days ago I got a second call in as many weeks from a Chevy rep informing me about the option to swap into a new 2022 EV or EUV from that "special allotment". I missed the first call, but managed to speak to her the second time, told her I was interested, at least in principle. To my surprise-- no, amazement, actually-- within 24 hours I'd been contacted by my local dealer and the same day found myself picking out a specific car from this set-aside group. I chose an EUV with Sun and Sound. (I currently have a 2020 EV Premier.) Now I wait to hear back.

Here's the rub-- if I correctly understood the rep who called me to arrange this, she said this was not the "MSRP swap" I've read so much about on this forum, but rather the financials would be handled the same way as a buyback (which I am also currently waiting for on my 2020 EV Premier). Which is to say, the top line would not be the MSRP of my 2020, but what I actually paid for it, less incentives and a usage deduction, the sum of which would go toward purchase of the EUV (after the bank was satisfied of course).

After doing some quick math, this doesn't seem like an super-amazing deal compared to a so-called MSRP swap. Instead, its basically just letting me put the equity I have in my current car down on a new one. The rep said that this swap process could likely be executed before a buyback, and definitely before a battery replacement so it gets me into an untainted and fully-functional Bolt sooner.

Has anyone else been through this yet swap process--specifically with the special allotment vehicles-- and was this pretty much what you were told/how it all shook out?

As an aside, I got a chance to sit in a powered-up EUV briefly, and it seems like the Bose stereo in the EUV is far superior to the one in my EV.

Thoughts/opinions?
I was at the front of the line for buyback (started Oct) but since my ID.4 order won't be ready until at least summer, I switched to Nov batch option for now. I picked my EUV last week and am waiting to see what GM offers. If it really is the same as buyback, I will decline it and either go back to buyback (and get the ID.4 AWD with $7,500 tax credit) or get battery replacement. Looking at the EV landscape right now, the ID.4 really doesn't give me much more so I am also open to battery replacement and trading in for either ID.Buzz or Equinox EV in 2025.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well that was too easy. My RVDC rep called me to tell me to go meet with the dealer that will be hosting my swap. I called him to make an appointment to go in and he said that was silly and we did the selection over the phone. He tagged an EUV Premier with Sun & Sound in Black. Exactly what I already had on order. I asked if there was any indication that the vehicle was missing heated seats or steering wheel and he said that they are marked as present on the build ticket.

I have sent the vehicle order number and VIN to my RVDC agent. Now the next round of waiting begins. Oh, the dealer also said that there were "a bunch" of EUV Premier with Sun & Sound on the list.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All my conversations with the RVDC reps have talked about a swap based on my vehicle's MSRP. If they end of saying it is based on my purchase price (50% MSRP) and I can't argue my way to using MSRP, I guess I will ultimately end up with a really nice 2020 LT with a new battery. Still a great deal. When I started this process, I have always been prepared for that eventuality. Life is too short to get all wrapped around the axel on this.

I have a great car that I got a great deal on. Also, I am luck that I work from home and have not been really inconvenienced by all this mess like others have. Heck, I drove the Bolt less that 50 miles last month.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premium
90 Posts
I picked out my replacement vehicle from November lot last week. I called yesterday to see if this had moved along any farther and it had not. I was waiting for a repurchase coordinator to take my case (already had 6 digit number but no coordinator yet).
To my surprise got contacted by my coordinator today and now have his email and phone number to call directly. He’s contacting my financing company to make the offer. I suspect I’ll see an offer sometime next week. Then it’s all a timing on getting the replacement EUV to my dealer.
I haven’t heard anything about whether it’s a swap or just covering what i paid in already. I suspect this depends on your state and lemon law there. I’m in Ohio. I will update everyone when I get my offer.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
352 Posts
Here's the rub-- if I correctly understood the rep who called me to arrange this, she said this was not the "MSRP swap" I've read so much about on this forum, but rather the financials would be handled the same way as a buyback (which I am also
Thoughts?
Not crazy about hearing this since your in FL. But getting a new battery in my 2021 would be ok. As I already have almost 14k miles😑
Hope she’s wrong
Will see how she rolls

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I picked out my replacement vehicle from November lot last week. I called yesterday to see if this had moved along any farther and it had not. I was waiting for a repurchase coordinator to take my case (already had 6 digit number but no coordinator yet).
To my surprise got contacted by my coordinator today and now have his email and phone number to call directly. He’s contacting my financing company to make the offer. I suspect I’ll see an offer sometime next week. Then it’s all a timing on getting the replacement EUV to my dealer.
I haven’t heard anything about whether it’s a swap or just covering what i paid in already. I suspect this depends on your state and lemon law there. I’m in Ohio. I will update everyone when I get my offer.

Font Circle Brand Art Paper product

Stand your ground, Hummer EV or no deal! ;)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premium
90 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
258 Posts
Well that was too easy. My RVDC rep called me to tell me to go meet with the dealer that will be hosting my swap. I called him to make an appointment to go in and he said that was silly and we did the selection over the phone. He tagged an EUV Premier with Sun & Sound in Black. Exactly what I already had on order. I asked if there was any indication that the vehicle was missing heated seats or steering wheel and he said that they are marked as present on the build ticket.

I have sent the vehicle order number and VIN to my RVDC agent. Now the next round of waiting begins. Oh, the dealer also said that there were "a bunch" of EUV Premier with Sun & Sound on the list.
Lucky you! Seems I am dealing with idiots :eek: at my dealer. My RC is working with another dealer to "teach" mine how to even FIND the freakin' cars....:rolleyes:
My RC and I had to laugh about the hard headed stupidity of my dealer just not getting it! They (after being on a phone call with my RC) still think it's a matter of finding a Bolt on another dealers lot! I told them TWICE that they are in fact NOT! Just bounced off....

·
Registered
100 Posts
My RC is working with another dealer to "teach" mine how to even FIND the freakin' cars....:rolleyes:
My hosting dealer was assisted by his EV rep from GM, but of course he had no idea he had an EV rep until my RC told him he did.

At least GM contracts with a company that employs competent repurchasing agents!

·
Registered
117 Posts
From the; very few details; I have gotten out of GM reps it doesn't sound like a sale to me. The way they said a few things made it sound like the only reason the dealer is involved is to handle the physical goods of the cars itself and nothing more. Which seems to be why some dealers are saying no because they don't get anything (monetarily) out of it.

Granted I absolutely know I could be incorrect or misheard or the Rep even said it incorrectly, so it certainly could be considered a sale. I just haven't got that impression yet.

To be clear as well, the MSRP swaps that are done with vehicles on the dealer lot (not Bolts/EUVs) I believe are going to be a sale because my understanding of that process is you are still buying the vehicle from the dealer since they already own it. So in that case GM is giving you X amount of money for your Bolt as a GM credit with that dealer and you still buy their vehicle you are swapping into. I think somewhere in there is what could be the difference, GM owns these special Bolts, not the dealer that hosts the swap.
I spoke to a conceriage yesterday and she said that if your Bolt is eligible for a battery they will no longer do a swap. I'm wondering if this is accurate.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I spoke to a conceriage yesterday and she said that if your Bolt is eligible for a battery they will no longer do a swap. I'm wondering if this is accurate.
Is this only new cases? My take is that if you have a pending byback/swap, GM cannot close the case. cwerna just signed his buyback despite being flipped to 881 a few days prior.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
352 Posts
The RC knows more than the Concerisge.
Or at least shoould.
Mine and others have said it doesn’t matter. Just told me this last week. You can do both. Unless it varies by state.

this conflicting info is not good

·
Registered
117 Posts
The RC knows more than the Concerisge.
Or at least shoould.
Mine and others have said it doesn’t matter. Just told me this last week. You can do both. Unless it varies by state.

this conflicting info is not good
RC? Do you have a number? Would this work with swapping for a new Bolt or
only another Chevy product?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe RC is repurchase coordinator. Each request gets one. And they tend to change over the multiple weeks it takes to complete the process. For anyone that wants to do a buyback or swap the best place to start is at the beginning by calling the EV Concierge.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Who knows, they seem to change a lot. When I got the call it was you are eligible for a battery or you can pursue the swap so I picked the swap. Still really haven't gotten anywhere with it though.

121 - 140 of 285 Posts