Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I cannot simply get outside air, with no AC messing with the air. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
hit the Heat & AC so it's off. Hit the recirc twice, first hit takes it off auto, second hit actually turns the thing off. Hit the vent selection as sometimes no air comes out the vent. Then adjust the fan speed so it's not on auto. Finally you're in manual control. Hit Auto to reverse all the above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it were only that simple! My car eventually decides it needs to heat or cool the car event though the AC/HEAT is OFF. Done it since April 2017. Just watch the predicted mileage drop when it happens.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
You also need to insure that at least one of the vent selections stays on in order to turn one off. In other words if defrost is the only thing on, you can't turn it off if the fan is on. You first need to turn on another selection...then you can turn off the defrost. Bizarre. I understand, because the air needs at least one outlet, but it's still strange that it doesn't automatically default to something.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If it were only that simple! My car eventually decides it needs to heat or cool the car event though the AC/HEAT is OFF. Done it since April 2017. Just watch the predicted mileage drop when it happens.
Yes, exactly! It is not working the way you think it should. No AC or Heat, means NO!
The battery temperature management system uses the cars AC system for cooling of the battery. When the battery heats up, the AC system will be activated for battery temperature management, and there is no bypass on the in dash AC heat exchanger, so you end up getting cold air out of the vents.

Keith

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The car will run the heater or A/C to transfer heat to or from the battery if it decides the battery is outside the desirable temperature range.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The HVAC controls are a bit...quirky.
You rang? /jk

I also recall on right around 60F outside with my HVAC set to OFF but the TEMP set to 72F, I was getting warm air out of the vents. When I lowered the temp to 65F, the air was cold again.

I'll have to try this again tomorrow morning cause I'm not so sure if I'm recalling correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the battery cooling loops were seperate than cabin air systems. This would make automatic cabin air management quite bizare. If I knew more about the system, it might explain why my quest for simple outside air at current outside air temperature is so hard to achieve.

Good thing the windows still roll down.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

That has not been my experience and I run with just the fan on pretty regularly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, exactly! It is not working the way you think it should. No AC or Heat, means NO!
This is my experience also and I think the same thing (“off” should be “off”).

The battery temperature management system uses the cars AC system for cooling of the battery. When the battery heats up, the AC system will be activated for battery temperature management, and there is no bypass on the in dash AC heat exchanger, so you end up getting cold air out of the vents.

Keith
It doesn’t seem reasonable that this issue is related to battery temperature management. The power draw (as indicated by reduced range) seems to be dependent entirely on whether the environmental system is turned “on” or “off”. Sometimes I can turn the fan “on” and have the “Heat & AC” off and the vehicle range is not affected at all. Other times, with the same configuration my range will decrease by the same amount as if the “Heat & AC” was selected on. Something is obviously happening that I am not in control of. I don’t notice the vehicle range randomly drop at other times (when I don’t have the fan/environmental system on).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You can also get AC air without having it on because you have the fan on and the cabin humidity is high.
Only way to stop that is to set the fan speed to "0".
The Volt acted the same way....

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can also get AC air without having it on because you have the fan on and the cabin humidity is high.
Only way to stop that is to set the fan speed to "0".
The Volt acted the same way....
you can turn off the auto defog. page 186:

Auto Defog : The system will
monitor high humidity inside the vehicle. When high humidity is detected, the climate control system may adjust to outside air supply and
turn on the air conditioner or the heater. The fan speed may slightly increase to help prevent fogging.
When high humidity is no longer detected, the system will return to its prior operation. To turn Auto Defog off or on, see “Climate and
Air Quality” under Vehicle Personalization 0 142.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
^ it's actually a pretty useful feature... it actually works when needed.

Sometimes I prefer to open a window though... so then I just kill the fan and that stops the auto AC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That has not been my experience and I run with just the fan on pretty regularly.
I have never had this experience also. In moderate temps I run with the temp on LO and all buttons off except for the dash vents and the level of fan speed I desire, usually Low, and I only get outside temp non conditioned air through the vents. It does not seem to matter if the temp is set to a higher temp it will only blow outside air unless the Heat/AC button is engaged

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have never had this experience also. In moderate temps I run with the temp on LO and all buttons off except for the dash vents and the level of fan speed I desire, usually Low, and I only get outside temp non conditioned air through the vents. It does not seem to matter if the temp is set to a higher temp it will only blow outside air unless the Heat/AC button is engaged

This has been my experience as well.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
+1 for HVAC OFF means only outside air coming in. Occasional sour smell at initial air-only but it eventually dries out the mold and no more sour smell.

Don't know what I was talking about before about occasional heat coming on. I had 60F outside today and cranking the TEMP to 75F the air coming in still felt like cool 60F air throughout my commute.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts