Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's also a setting for turning off the auto defog. Only thing I can think of that would override your manual control.
p.186 2017 manual:
Auto Defog : The system will monitor high humidity inside the vehicle. When high humidity is detected, the climate control system may adjust to outside air supply and turn on the air conditioner or the heater. The fan speed may slightly increase to help prevent fogging. When high humidity is no longer detected, the system will return to its prior operation. To turn Auto Defog off or on, see “Climate and Air Quality” under Vehicle Personalization
found this via the search - it indeed is the fix for sporadic unexplained ac activation - once "off", the hvac controls do what one expects them to do. thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the process described about hitting the recirc button twice and it worked until the car was shifted into L. Worked fine in D, but when shifted into L, the AC kicked on and the range went down by 30 miles.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I tried the process described about hitting the recirc button twice and it worked until the car was shifted into L. Worked fine in D, but when shifted into L, the AC kicked on and the range went down by 30 miles.
Welcome to the forum. Can't imagine how the AC would be related to shifting to L. Maybe it's just a coincidence from having the auto defrost setting on and the humidity is causing the AC activation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is strange. I just went around the block with just the fan on and car was in L. Guess it was a fluke or maybe the auto defrost was on, but I did not intentionally turn it on. Here's to driving with the AC off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is strange. I just went around the block with just the fan on and car was in L. Guess it was a fluke or maybe the auto defrost was on, but I did not intentionally turn it on. Here's to driving with the AC off.
Yup, Auto Defrost was on from the factory. Shut that down and the AC/heat/fan controls work as they should.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my Volts, I would be able to siphon warm or cool air from the battery heating or cooling by just using the vent.
I believe it is similar in the Bolt, but, haven't tested extensively. It seems that in the Bolt, I have to keep the
fan at a very low speed to take advantage. You would think that if you put the A/C or Heat on, then turned the
temperature to similar to outside conditions, then it wouldn't do anything. When the A/C button is on, it seems
to be either HEAT or COLD is being used all the time. If A/C is on and you just tap the A.C button, it will turn off HVAC and
just have the fan. If this isn't working, it sounds like you may have an issue with the switch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are getting differing temperatures with HVAC off, you may be siphoning off of the battery maintenance.
What I do to verify, is to turn HVAC on or off. If it changes, your range should show a dramatic change.
If it doesn't change, I just figure that it is not on.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I thought the battery cooling loops were seperate than cabin air systems. This would make automatic cabin air management quite bizare. If I knew more about the system, it might explain why my quest for simple outside air at current outside air temperature is so hard to achieve.

Good thing the windows still roll down.
Lucky you, I have to call OnStar to get permission to roll down my windows:eek:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts