Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a crossroads right now on what to do with my car situation. I own an '06 Civic Hybrid with 188k miles. It still runs well and stills gets me 42+ MPG (originally got 52 MPG when I first owned it but eventual wear and tear and putting regular tires on it have reduced that).

It is getting near the time it needs a new IMA battery. This would cost me about $3300 to replace. I am trying to decide if I should replace the battery and keep driving it for a few mores years or trade it in before replacing the battery for a Bolt? I finally test drove one last month and absolutely loved it and know it is the next car I want. But the dealer only had 1 in stock and has no plans on getting more at this point. Because I'm not in need of a new car right now, I really didn't want to take their Bolt in a color I don't like. I have since located a dealer who has over a dozen in stock only about an hour and a half drive from where I live (was recommended by a forum member on here).

And going through Hurricane Irma the past few days and people still hunting around for stations with gas makes the choice of an EV even better. Can anyone give me any good reason to keep my Civic for a few years more and let the Bolt "mature"? Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes I am letting my PHEV go for all electric. As much as I love my Sonata PHEV I couldn't resist the range and the lower maintenance of the bolt. The bolt is perfect for me and the driving that I do. I rarely see myself having to use public charging stations but will if I need to.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Think 125 mile per gallon cost equivalent. Think "usual" range of 250+ miles (not EPA 238). Think of lowered insurance premiums (mine went down $500/year because of safety features my 2011 ICE car did not have). Think of NOT investing $3300 in an 11 year old car with nearly 200K miles on it. Think of an ever-expanding DCFC infrastructure. Think of your Grandma in Poughkeepsie!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have not regretted going electric in November 2011 when I bought my first Volt and went 99% electric for 60,000 miles till I gave it to the wife and bought a 2016 Volt in November 2015 also at 97.9 EV @ 18,000 miles. Now the wife drives the 2016 Volt and I have bought the Bolt EV and I could not be happier with the EV driving I have done in the past 6 years and will never go back to fossil fuels ever again.

No Plug No Sale is my motto now for life.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My recommendation is to keep the Civic and purchase the Bolt.

A.) After facing a potential $5,000 expense from the dealer to 'replace' a Battery on our '07 Camry hybrid, I discovered there is a cottage industry of companies that 'refurbish/rebuild' hybrid/PHEV/BEV car batteries. I had a local outfit refurb the battery for $900. No problems whatsoever over the past 3 years. Perhaps this is an option for you?

B.) You are in the enviable position to choose when you pull the trigger on a Bolt. This allows you to shop nationwide (being captive to local dealerships is so 20 years ago), and wait for that smokin' deal. Likely saving yourself 4,5, or 6 thousand.

C.) Having a BEV for 99% of your driving, and a sparsely used (extending the life of your '06 Civic another 20 years) ICEv backup for the sub 1% is the perfect scenario.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Go Bolt, it will be a while before other BEV's are comparable (except maybe the Tesla M3) and the Bolt is a pleasure to drive and its a great feeling not to be polluting the air (at least locally).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can anyone give me any good reason to keep my Civic for a few years more and let the Bolt "mature"? Thanks.
Wait a minute ... why do you have to choose between Civic or Bolt? If the blue contraption on your avatar doesn't work, all you need is a Sonic (screwdriver).

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
We need more info, such as if you have access to other vehicles for longer trips, or even have a need to make trips outside of the Bolts 1-charge range. How do you know you're getting close to needing an IMA battery?

Here are my thoughts:

• Selling a vehicle private party will put substantially more money in your pocket than trading it in.
  • Finding a 3rd party to refurbish or replace the battery will be cheaper than having the work done at a dealership. Doing it yourself is cheaper yet.
  • I'd never purchase a new vehicle, but if I did, I would demand that since I'm paying top dollar, that it be exactly what I want in regards to features and colors.
  • Buying new is never the best financial decision, but if you must buy new, an EV will have lower operating costs over the lifetime of a long ownership period.
  • Could a used Leaf cover most of your driving needs? I'm seeing 2013 models for $7,500 nowadays. Keep the Honda and get a used Leaf.
  • The Bolt is a nice car and a lot of fun. If it's worth ~$37,000 of fun/convenience to you, then get it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
All interesting viewpoints for OP to consider. I like the idea of having one car as a backup for longer trips.

Here's another perspective:

We had a perfectly serviceable Prius with 60K on the clock. Paid for. The financially responsible thing to do was drive it until it died.

Then I went to Standing Rock and first-hand experienced what the oil companies and their goons were doing to non-violent demonstrators trying to save 10 million people from having their drinking water ruined.

I made a decision I could no longer buy gasoline from those kinds of people. We on Earth are entering the Sixth Extinction and a car that continually spews poison in a 90% inefficient way is not something I could live with. Extreme view? Maybe, but I'm sticking with it while I'm on this lovely planet.

My wife and I both love the Bolt and barely miss smelly refueling. No regrets.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DBoth. I've had my Prius Plug In since new in January 2013. It got me interested in EVs. I was on a sixty month, 0% interest purchase, and just paid it off a few months early. I moved up to a BMW i3, and now the Bolt. My Prius is low mileage, and has been solid since day one. I really like it and no need to let it go. I enjoy my Prius and Bolt, and both serve a purpose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think 125 mile per gallon cost equivalent. Think "usual" range of 250+ miles (not EPA 238). Think of lowered insurance premiums (mine went down $500/year because of safety features my 2011 ICE car did not have). Think of NOT investing $3300 in an 11 year old car with nearly 200K miles on it. Think of an ever-expanding DCFC infrastructure. Think of your Grandma in Poughkeepsie!!
Thanks surgeonFWW. A few positives I did not think about. You got me moving closer to the "Buy" choice. LOL!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My recommendation is to keep the Civic and purchase the Bolt.

A.) After facing a potential $5,000 expense from the dealer to 'replace' a Battery on our '07 Camry hybrid, I discovered there is a cottage industry of companies that 'refurbish/rebuild' hybrid/PHEV/BEV car batteries. I had a local outfit refurb the battery for $900. No problems whatsoever over the past 3 years. Perhaps this is an option for you?

B.) You are in the enviable position to choose when you pull the trigger on a Bolt. This allows you to shop nationwide (being captive to local dealerships is so 20 years ago), and wait for that smokin' deal. Likely saving yourself 4,5, or 6 thousand.

C.) Having a BEV for 99% of your driving, and a sparsely used (extending the life of your '06 Civic another 20 years) ICEv backup for the sub 1% is the perfect scenario.
Thanks shotel. Would you know where I would look for a refurb'ed IMA battery?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We need more info, such as if you have access to other vehicles for longer trips, or even have a need to make trips outside of the Bolts 1-charge range. How do you know you're getting close to needing an IMA battery?
Hi redpoint5. I didn't add all info on my original post to try and keep it short but your questions are fair. Longer trips are done in my partner's vehicle. He loves driving and I have no problem letting him take the wheel. I side in the co-pilot seat and handle other duties while he keeps his eyes on the road. My current vehicle (and my next) would be used 90% of the time to go to and from work (26 miles each way). No, since the Bolt is bigger than my Civic my partner may want us to use that more, it would not be for any long range trips.

As for needing a new battery, the charge level on mine drops often during a day. Usually when it's very hot, and I stop somewhere to run an errand or eat, then get back on the road. The level will drop to 1 or 2 bars and the engine will then do its charging and bring me back up to full.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All interesting viewpoints for OP to consider. I like the idea of having one car as a backup for longer trips.

Here's another perspective:

We had a perfectly serviceable Prius with 60K on the clock. Paid for. The financially responsible thing to do was drive it until it died.

Then I went to Standing Rock and first-hand experienced what the oil companies and their goons were doing to non-violent demonstrators trying to save 10 million people from having their drinking water ruined.

I made a decision I could no longer buy gasoline from those kinds of people. We on Earth are entering the Sixth Extinction and a car that continually spews poison in a 90% inefficient way is not something I could live with. Extreme view? Maybe, but I'm sticking with it while I'm on this lovely planet.

My wife and I both love the Bolt and barely miss smelly refueling. No regrets.
Yes, I am longing for the time when the only reason I stop at a SpeedWay gas station is for a drink.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take it you're in Florida? Did a quick search using the phrase "civic phev battery refurbishment"

Many options it seems, including this firm and Bumblebee batteries
Thanks. I did find the Bumblebee one in a search. What I found is I could be out of a car for up to 4 weeks. I really couldn't be without a car for more than 3 days.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks. I did find the Bumblebee one in a search. What I found is I could be out of a car for up to 4 weeks. I really couldn't be without a car for more than 3 days.
That is exactly the value of having a 'spare/backup' car! :p

Maintenance decisions are not as clouded by the need for transportation during the downtime. However, a spare/backup car is an additional expense; i.e.; insurance, registration, and the minor maintenance it may need. Everyone's value equation will be unique based on their driving habits. Again, having a pure EV like a Bolt adds the out-of-range variable.

Our Camry was down for a full week during the battery replacement, but the shop that performed the work was local. We didn't have a spare car, and I didn't want to rent, so I wound up taking the wife to and from work for the week. Hopefully, you can find a shop closer as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts