Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,745 Posts
I hate these infographics. There's no usable information in them. How many 20 year old EVs are there? How many 20 year old ICE vehicles catch fire every year?
Depends on your perspective. If you're the owner of a new car, you want to know data about the specific percentages of new ICE vehicle fires vs new EV fires.

If you're the owner of a 5-10 year old car, you want to know data about the specific percentages of 5-10 year old ICE vehicle fires vs 5-10 year old EV fires. (Hint, with so few 5-10 year old EVs and most of those being Nissan Leafs with zero fires, the rate of fires for 5-10 year old ICE vehicles is still probably higher.)

If you're the neighbor (or a news reporter or NHTSA), then age of vehicle isn't relevant. You can't guarantee that your neighbor (or people in your city or the nation) will always have new vehicles. Put another way, if you have one neighbor with a 20 year old ICE vehicle, and another neighbor with an EV, knowing that brand new ICE vehicles have a low rate of fire compared to new EVs Chevy Bolts isn't meaningful. Instead, you care about the fact that ICE vehicles in general have a high rate of fire compared to EVs (or Bolts, for that matter).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would add that GM’s public statements about not parking within 50 feet of another car or a building or anything left some of us unable to park and leave the car anywhere - thereby rendering it useless for anything other than a pleasure drive. The 50% reduction in range was the proverbial straw for many of us
They very very quickly backed away from that statement. That has not been the recommendation since September...

Here's the press announcement with updated parking guidance:
Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes

Updated guidance on parking
If customers are following GM’s instructions issued below, they can park in a location of their choice. In an abundance of caution, GM recommends customers leave ample space around their vehicle wherever they choose to park. GM is not aware of any fires that have occurred where customers followed this safety guidance, in parking decks or otherwise.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
716 Posts
They very very quickly backed away from that statement. That has not been the recommendation since September...

Here's the press announcement with updated parking guidance:
Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes
Doesn't change me from avoiding having to bring the Bolt to parking garages to not have to deal with unexpected hassle. Once again reality departs from perception when it comes to this whole ordeal.

It's not about being able to get by avoiding bringing your car to parking lots, it's about having to do it at all. Also, what about people who don't have the luxury(?) of being married and having 2 cars to choose from?

My patience is running real thin as these '22s they have run out for MSRP swaps. We should all have been able to make a choice by now or have a timetable to bank on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Doesn't change me from avoiding having to bring the Bolt to parking garages to not have to deal with unexpected hassle. Once again reality departs from perception when it comes to this whole ordeal.

It's not about being able to get by avoiding bringing your car to parking lots, it's about having to do it at all. Also, what about people who don't have the luxury(?) of being married and having 2 cars to choose from?

My patience is running real thin as these '22s they have run out for MSRP swaps. We should all have been able to make a choice by now or have a timetable to bank on.
No, it actually changes everything. They said if you were following GM's guidelines, you could park wherever you please. That 50 foot was a PR disaster and it only lasted about a week before GM abandoned it entirely. You want to remember that one detail? Fine... that's a 'you' problem.

I have one car, the Bolt. This never affected me.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,953 Posts
:( wonder if they had any fires in the crusher
Doubtful. All of the batteries were removed and recycled. (I'm assuming you're referring to the EV-1s.)

PbA (1997 EV-1) and NiMH (1999 EV-1) batteries don't tend to spontaneously combust like Li chemistries do.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The news these days is only (and still only partially) good for getting the upcoming weather forecasts. Even then they're guessing.
Well, I trust our meteorologists far more than I trust our news reporters. At least the meteorologists are presenting evidence based upon predictive science, common modeling and facts and not just drawing new lines on a chart to support their narrative. And lets face it, with the exception of the local news and the major networks nightly news the 24 hour stations are really just pushing opinion and narrative pieces, they are not even reporting news, they are not journalists by a long shot. And even the local news and nightly news reports are skewed and reported in ways to push a narrative. It is eternally frustrating to watch a story on the local news that. This is so problematic that one of these people was sued for defamation in court and the defense was that no "reasonable" person would believe what he said was true!

I wish we could hold journalists to the same standard we expect from meteorologists. Maybe then we could get some actual news.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, I trust our meteorologists far more than I trust our news reporters. At least the meteorologists are presenting evidence based upon predictive science, common modeling and facts and not just drawing new lines on a chart to support their narrative. And lets face it, with the exception of the local news and the major networks nightly news the 24 hour stations are really just pushing opinion and narrative pieces, they are not even reporting news, they are not journalists by a long shot. And even the local news and nightly news reports are skewed and reported in ways to push a narrative. It is eternally frustrating to watch a story on the local news that. This is so problematic that one of these people was sued for defamation in court and the defense was that no "reasonable" person would believe what he said was true!

I wish we could hold journalists to the same standard we expect from meteorologists. Maybe then we could get some actual news.
The problem with this is that when a network tries to only report actual news, nobody watches.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The problem with this is that when a network tries to only report actual news, nobody watches.
They only report news when nobody is watching (in the middle of the day). Then the political commentary starts up at the end of the day when everyone comes home. Everyone comes home to turn on to watch their favorite opinions.

People need more of a sense of schadenfreude and curiosity of the 'disaster' of the opposing views. Everyone 'likes' to slow down to see cars folded up and on fire on highways... reading articles or watching news or videos of untenable views is kinda like that! Watching an echo chamber of your own thoughts and opinions isn't very stimulating. It's often a lot more fun to see the opposite... and maybe it convinces you (or reassures you of your opposing views). For example, I always like the watch Scotty Kilmer bash EVs on YouTube... not because I agree with him, but just curious what he and his commenters will (often wrongly) claim. I especially really like reading the comments on articles or videos I disagree with!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
They only report news when nobody is watching (in the middle of the day). Then the political commentary starts up at the end of the day when everyone comes home. Everyone comes home to turn on to watch their favorite opinions.

People need more of a sense of schadenfreude and curiosity of the 'disaster' of the opposing views. Everyone 'likes' to slow down to see cars folded up and on fire on highways... reading articles or watching news or videos of untenable views is kinda like that! Watching an echo chamber of your own thoughts and opinions isn't very stimulating. It's often a lot more fun to see the opposite... and maybe it convinces you (or reassures you of your opposing views). For example, I always like the watch Scotty Kilmer bash EVs on YouTube... not because I agree with him, but just curious what he and his commenters will (often wrongly) claim. I especially really like reading the comments on articles or videos I disagree with!
I like to flip back and forth between CNN and Fox on election night. It's like watching two totally different elections!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like to flip back and forth between CNN and Fox on election night. It's like watching two totally different elections!
I also watched the Australian ABC news website for the last two elections. Definitely the driest and most direct election coverage I've ever seen. And they didn't care about some US election laws! They just went ahead and called things before our own news networks could (based on their own statistics)... and said as much.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lets be clear, people don't like to listen to people who have a different/oposite opinion than them. It's not in the human nature to do this. Unless they like to punch the TV. The tribes are made of people who have the same opinions/goals/aspirations, in 2 words : are alike. What scares people is diversity, what they don’t know and understand. That’s why the dicton "shoot first, ask questions after" was born.

·
Registered
716 Posts
No, it actually changes everything. They said if you were following GM's guidelines, you could park wherever you please. That 50 foot was a PR disaster and it only lasted about a week before GM abandoned it entirely. You want to remember that one detail? Fine... that's a 'you' problem.

I have one car, the Bolt. This never affected me.
I'm not saying I'm overly worried about it, but if I'm driving into a place I think I'll need a garage/lot, I get into the Kona instead of the Bolt. The garage's employees don't give a crap what the owner's insurance company may or may not have said 6 months ago and what GM may or may not have said in response, all he cares about are the rules he's told. One in a hundred shot but I've got the option to not tempt fate in the face of human stupidity, so I don't.

It's a silly thing to dwell on when I sit here in winter with 120-160 on the GOM @ 80% max capacity not allowed to go under 36-48 miles for a total recall pending 'suggested' range of 84-112 miles on a brand new car. Being slightly paranoid about which car I take, not the thing really on my mind. Still a thing though. 😁

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm not saying I'm overly worried about it, but if I'm driving into a place I think I'll need a garage/lot, I get into the Kona instead of the Bolt. The garage's employees don't give a crap what the owner's insurance company may or may not have said 6 months ago and what GM may or may not have said in response, all he cares about are the rules he's told. One in a hundred shot but I've got the option to not tempt fate in the face of human stupidity, so I don't.

It's a silly thing to dwell on when I sit here in winter with 120-160 on the GOM @ 80% max capacity not allowed to go under 36-48 miles for a total recall pending 'suggested' range of 84-112 miles on a brand new car. Being slightly paranoid about which car I take, not the thing really on my mind. Still a thing though. 😁
Or you could just get the software update and have every single restriction removed... You can have 80% max capacity and be allowed to go 0% if you wanted.

I know SP+ lots have banned Bolts across the country. The garages in my county and my employer's garage I guess aren't SP+ owned because I've never had any problems parking since the recall. There's no signs or anything and I've never been towed. They're owned by the county or federal government I think. It just goes to show you that reddit and Facebook aren't everything in the Universe after all.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Or you could just get the software update and have every single restriction removed... You can have 80% max capacity and be allowed to go 0% if you wanted.

I know SP+ lots have banned Bolts across the country. The garages in my county and my employer's garage I guess aren't SP+ owned because I've never had any problems parking since the recall. There's no signs or anything and I've never been towed. They're owned by the county or federal government I think. It just goes to show you that reddit and Facebook aren't everything in the Universe after all.
My specific situation needs the Bolt for its entire range a few times a year. I'll deal with the restrictions 99% of the time so I can exceed them when I need it.

Trying to make lemonade.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My specific situation needs the Bolt for its entire range a few times a year. I'll deal with the restrictions 99% of the time so I can exceed them when I need it.

Trying to make lemonade.
That sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. Well, you could also rent a car for those few times a year and get the software update.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. Well, you could also rent a car for those few times a year and get the software update.
I’m in a similar situation with the Bolt. Around our small town/valley, it’s fine. But for trips outside of it - like to the dealer for the software update — in the winter, the restrictions make it a no-go or touch-and-go.

Rental car? The nearest one is as far away as the nearest DCFC charger…..

21 - 40 of 56 Posts