Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any definitive word on the current state of Key Pass? I’ve seen it described as a viable alternative to OnStar for vehicle commands, but for my 2020, it seems to not exist. iPhone on latest iOS and latest version of my Chevrolet app. No Key Pass anywhere in the app and no Key Pass enable setting in the vehicle personalization menu. Am I even actually missing anything if I don’t have it?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can confirm with both IOS and Android - I don't see any sign of Keypass for the 2020 MY on the Bolt itself or in the smart phone apps. Tested with an iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android 10.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmm...myC version 3.29.0(3207) on Android 8 has it. Last I checked, my 2019 had the option down in the settings in the infotainment.
I have no use for the feature. You still need the fob. So what's the point other than gee whiz neato.

·
Registered
440 Posts
faster response to remote keyfob commands & allows those to work in locations where the car is not receiving cellular signal as it connects via Bluetooth.

Not having it hasn't really been an issue for me but if my garage didn't have cellular signal or if I was camping in the boonies would be nice to have.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hmm...myC version 3.29.0(3207) on Android 8 has it. Last I checked, my 2019 had the option down in the settings in the infotainment.
I have no use for the feature. You still need the fob. So what's the point other than gee whiz neato.
I have never had a phone that worked with the system, but for me it would be useful because I carry my phone at work, but not my car keys (too many work related items in pocket / don't want to lose fob on job site) so if I needed to get something out of the Bolt I could unlock it with keypass instead of having to go to my locker to get the key fob. Onstar takes forever to lock / unlock the car, I assume it is much faster doing it direct from the phone with keypass.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my just purchased 2020 Bolt Premier I had to enable OnStar to get the remote lock/unlock/start from my iPhone with the My Chevrolet app. Looking at the OnStar plans, you have to subscribe to the $15/mo plan to retain the remote access with a mobile device. Needless to say, once my trial period is over I'm cancelling it since I don't need the mobile connectivity.

·
Registered
440 Posts
On my just purchased 2020 Bolt Premier I had to enable OnStar to get the remote lock/unlock/start from my iPhone with the My Chevrolet app. Looking at the OnStar plans, you have to subscribe to the $15/mo plan to retain the remote access with a mobile device. Needless to say, once my trial period is over I'm cancelling it since I don't need the mobile connectivity.
You actually get 5 years of connected access included with the Bolt EV purchase. Don't renew any of the paid on-star options & your remote keyfob and remote vehicle information should continue to work.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
77 Posts
You actually get 5 years of connected access included with the Bolt EV purchase. Don't renew any of the paid on-star options & your remote keyfob and remote vehicle information should continue to work.
I think they changed the plans, the "Legacy" 5 year plan for '17-'18 MY was apparently replaced with something a little less functional for newer owners. Remote Key Fob now seems to require the $14.99 Remote Access plan but was included in the basic 5 year plan for the older models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2020 doesn't have Keypass in the settings menu where the owner's manual says it would be if so equipped. The only mobile control I could find was via the My Chevrolet app and OnStar.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think they changed the plans, the "Legacy" 5 year plan for '17-'18 MY was apparently replaced with something a little less functional for newer owners. Remote Key Fob now seems to require the $14.99 Remote Access plan but was included in the basic 5 year plan for the older models.
This is correct. My 2017 has remote key FOB functionality as part of the free plan, but my new 2020 doesn't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This was my experience too for my 2020 Bolt. Once activated, it worked perfectly with my iPhone 11. That being said, it wasn't all that useful to me, going to cancel it before my trial is up.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
77 Posts
This is correct. My 2017 has remote key FOB functionality as part of the free plan, but my new 2020 doesn't.
Does the Remote FOB work over bluetooth if you are close enough to the car? Of course, even if it does, it is just as convenient to use the physical FOB to remote start at that distance.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does the Remote FOB work over bluetooth if you are close enough to the car? Of course, even if it does, it is just as convenient to use the physical FOB to remote start at that distance.
I don't know, there's no keypass option on the app anymore so I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The remote fob uses a different kind of RF connection than Bluetooth, and it can't make a data connection to your phone to do things like pass battery state of charge info to the MyChevy app.

That being said, I often use the fob to remote start the car, which in a detached garage around 40 ft from my back window. The fob is strong enough to reach the car if I hold it up to the window. I don't use KeyPass, so I have no idea if its Bluetooth connection would work at that distance. But the MyChevy app works from anywhere as long as you have cellular data connectivity for your phone and your Bolt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts