Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's no option labeled KeyPass on the version of the MyChevrolet app I installed on iOS last week. It did have a buried option called "Connection, Connections, or Connected Services". I don't remember exactly which one. When selecting it, it took me to a screen indicating that I needed to subscribe to OnStar services. After subscribing to the OnStar trial period, that option no longer appears but the app now shows various mobile connected options in the main menu. None of them however say "KeyPass".

Like was mentioned earlier, my guess is Chevrolet/GM changed the app when they removed KeyPass from newer vehicles. It could be that it's no longer in the code or is hidden unless you're grandfathered in as a previous or current KeyPass user.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There's no option labeled KeyPass on the version of the MyChevrolet app I installed on iOS last week. It did have a buried option called "Connection, Connections, or Connected Services". I don't remember exactly which one. When selecting it, it took me to a screen indicating that I needed to subscribe to OnStar services. After subscribing to the OnStar trial period, that option no longer appears but the app now shows various mobile connected options in the main menu. None of them however say "KeyPass".

Like was mentioned earlier, my guess is Chevrolet/GM changed the app when they removed KeyPass from newer vehicles. It could be that it's no longer in the code or is hidden unless you're grandfathered in as a previous or current KeyPass user.
With android it is not an option, it is an annoying little banner button that pops up at the top of the "Key Fob" and "Vehicle Status" screens that says "Run KeyPass Setup"

Keith

·
Registered
214 Posts
iOS 13, 2017 Bolt, mychevy app w/current ver 3.29.1 (17) here. In the apps "Settings" menu, "KeyPass Setup" is there. I'd be surprised if the App behaves differently based on your Bolt's model year. It may not be there in the car, but it ought to be there in the app. The only rationale I can think of for GM to remove it in 2020 would be to force folks to buy the $15/month Onstar plan to be able to talk to your car even when it's only 20 feet away. But gee that'd be stupid. Oh wait. GM can be stupid, esp when it comes to OnStar and their apps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
iOS 13, 2017 Bolt, mychevy app w/current ver 3.29.1 (17) here. In the apps "Settings" menu, "KeyPass Setup" is there. I'd be surprised if the App behaves differently based on your Bolt's model year. It may not be there in the car, but it ought to be there in the app. The only rationale I can think of for GM to remove it in 2020 would be to force folks to buy the $15/month Onstar plan to be able to talk to your car even when it's only 20 feet away. But gee that'd be stupid. Oh wait. GM can be stupid, esp when it comes to OnStar and their apps.
Same iOS, same app version, I’ve even seen screen shots of the app showing where Key Pass setup is - I don’t have it. I’m guessing it will not show up in the app until it’s enabled on the car - and it’s not there either.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Huh. I do find KeyPass useful; it's faster than going thru ATT cell and OnStar, and it works where there's no ATT cell coverage. There's no way I'd spend $180/year for the ability to access some car functions remotely when my car's not nearby. In 2 years, when my 5-years free OnStar access ends, I will be ok with just KeyPass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I discovered a new curiosity today. I have no OnStar subscriptions (or trials) other than 10 years of connectected services (which seems to be diagnostics, maint. notifications, and Smart Driver), yet I seem to have the remote key fob functions in the app. Did this replace some KeyPass functions for 2020?

·
Registered
213 Posts
My opinion is that keypass is garbage. The physical FOB has better range anyways, and keypass only works on a few phones, and the newer MyChevrolet doesn't work on older Android builds either. Even though at one time it did. If it was reliable, that's one thing, but it isn't, and the app can get stuck on startup it doesn't have an internet connection, which is when keypass is most useful. But sometimes it does work. And sometimes it just unpairs from the phone. Oddly, it doesn't control everything either. For example, it won't adjust the wifi settings, but it reads range and charge times. It's a gimmick, and we're better off without it. Plus didn't it get hacked ages ago?

·
Registered
13 Posts
KeyPass on my Android 10 OnePlus 6t is a disaster. The initial pairing broke after the Android 10 update came out (you see the QR code, but the app gets "stuck" pairing with vehicle)

My OnStar service fully deactivated after buying my gently used 2019. To get it reactivated under the "free for 5 years plan", I had to talk to the thieves at OnStar, asked about the 5 year free plan, setup a trial plan for "all the things", then cancel "all the things" a week later asking to explicitly leave the "free 5 year mobility package"

Seems to have worked? I'm not getting charged (they even deleted my CC number) and I have the "basic remote SOC, tire pressure, remote unlock, etc functionality"

Not sure how long it'll last for, but seems good for the moment.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I discovered a new curiosity today. I have no OnStar subscriptions (or trials) other than 10 years of connectected services (which seems to be diagnostics, maint. notifications, and Smart Driver), yet I seem to have the remote key fob functions in the app. Did this replace some KeyPass functions for 2020?
"Connected services" includes phone app connectivity, which gives you remote lock/unlock, preconditioning, checking the car's charge status, etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There's no way GM is giving away 10 years of what 2017 Bolt users got [5 years of full mychevy app functionality, including charge levels, tire pressure, remote start, lock/unlock]. Even find your car is included in my free 5-year plan [!!]. They have been playing name games on all this for a while now, and iirc, now give you 10 years of limited connectivity for free. They may call it "connected services", but it may not be what you think. It's not what we used to get for 5 years [at least on 2017 Bolts, and maybe until May 2018].

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my just purchased 2020 Bolt Premier I had to enable OnStar to get the remote lock/unlock/start from my iPhone with the My Chevrolet app. Looking at the OnStar plans, you have to subscribe to the $15/mo plan to retain the remote access with a mobile device. Needless to say, once my trial period is over I'm cancelling it since I don't need the mobile connectivity.
i have a 2020 bolt and the chevy app remote lock, unlock, start all work with my iphone and i do not have onstar

·
Registered
214 Posts
i have a 2020 bolt and the chevy app remote lock, unlock, start all work with my iphone and i do not have onstar
That sounds like what "connected services" gives you free, maybe for 10 years. You probably do not have tire pressure, charge info (% charged) and range (miles). 2017s and some 2018s have that for free for 5 years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That sounds like what "connected services" gives you free, maybe for 10 years. You probably do not have tire pressure, charge info (% charged) and range (miles). 2017s and some 2018s have that for free for 5 years.
Close. We do have estimated range (miles). Did Key Pass also include turning on the lights and unlocking as you approached the car? I've read so many different things, I can't remember them all. Curious that the Onstar web page for connected services makes no mention of these functions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Close. We do have estimated range (miles). Did Key Pass also include turning on the lights and unlocking as you approached the car? I've read so many different things, I can't remember them all.
Yes, approach detection is in there somewhere, but I can't find it in the app. The 2017 manual says:
Passive Function: Approach Detection/Welcome Lighting (Request light when approaching the vehicle)

So I think it's a setting from the car's infotainment setup that is triggered passively by the app.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
"Approach detection" requires KeyPass, which is over and above the other connectivity functions and has to be separately enabled and configured.
Understood. We were just clarifying the differences between the connected services functions and KeyPass functions, which appears to be gone for 2020.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there any definitive word on the current state of Key Pass? I’ve seen it described as a viable alternative to OnStar for vehicle commands, but for my 2020, it seems to not exist. iPhone on latest iOS and latest version of my Chevrolet app. No Key Pass anywhere in the app and no Key Pass enable setting in the vehicle personalization menu. Am I even actually missing anything if I don’t have it?
Confirmed by OnStar, the key pass has been discontinued and is no longer supported by OnStar

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there any definitive word on the current state of Key Pass? I’ve seen it described as a viable alternative to OnStar for vehicle commands, but for my 2020, it seems to not exist. iPhone on latest iOS and latest version of my Chevrolet app. No Key Pass anywhere in the app and no Key Pass enable setting in the vehicle personalization menu. Am I even actually missing anything if I don’t have it?
Have a 2017, and never worked with an LG G6, a Samsung Galaxy S9, or other common phones... I gave up. Note that the Bolt is an LG car (battery, motors, and who knows how much of the electronics), so you would think that would be compatible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Confirmed by OnStar, the key pass has been discontinued and is no longer supported by OnStar
It would seem GM wants to push folks to pay $180/year for what was free and doesn't use any ATT cell network bandwidth. Stupid and Greedy.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts