Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT - Gunmetal Gray
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bolt came up today showing my KeyFob battery is low. Of course it still starts, and I'm going to go buy a battery today, but I'm curious on a few things.

1) The myChevrolet app has car locking, unlocking, start, and stop features. If the keyfob was left at home, or the battery was entirely dead, does this app still work? As far as I can tell, it connects via the Radio's Bluetooth, but I'm not sure if the fob is necessary for this.

2) There's this spot in the center console/armrest to put a dead keyfob. Does this work even with NO battery at all in the Keyfob? (Assuming an entirely dead battery) How does this work? NFC/RFID?

Thanks for your guy's plentiful information. I just joined, and will be posting more questions to come.

·
Registered
285 Posts
1: The app works off internet and OnStar, or Keypass (bluetooth). The internet/OnStar functionality requires you have at least a very basic account/access (can't remember the name for this level, but there are a number of threads that discuss this) for the remote functions to work on the app. Keypass has to be set up in order to get the bluetooth connection to work with the app. Fob is not necessary for either of these.
2: RFID

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1: The app works off internet and OnStar, or Keypass (bluetooth). The internet/OnStar functionality requires you have at least a very basic account/access (can't remember the name for this level, but there are a number of threads that discuss this) for the remote functions to work on the app. Keypass has to be set up in order to get the bluetooth connection to work with the app. Fob is not necessary for either of these.
2: RFID
Thanks for the Reply! You answered everything I needed perfectly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sort of off topic... sorry... I had some odd behavior the other day where the Keyfob was completely unrecognized by the car, plus the second keyfob my wife had in her bag. No button clicks, no power-up, nothing. I parked at a charger, I got out, plugged in the charger, then attempted to turn the car on, and no dice for either FOB. Seems that the car-end of things died. I used the pocket in the center console, and the car started up. And after that, the keyfob worked again perfectly. Zero warning of a dead battery, and with nothing more than starting the car via the secret kangaroo pouch, everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of off topic... sorry... I had some odd behavior the other day where the Keyfob was completely unrecognized by the car, plus the second keyfob my wife had in her bag. No button clicks, no power-up, nothing. I parked at a charger, I got out, plugged in the charger, then attempted to turn the car on, and no dice for either FOB. Seems that the car-end of things died. I used the pocket in the center console, and the car started up. And after that, the keyfob worked again perfectly. Zero warning of a dead battery, and with nothing more than starting the car via the secret kangaroo pouch, everything went back to normal.
Thanks for the tip of how to fix it in case this happens to me. It's good to have in my mind to try the center console to start the car just in case.

May have been in a high RF interference area. Poorly shielded high powered equipment can cause this.
This is a pretty good idea. I'd say you're probably right here with this assumption.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
There's this spot in the center console/armrest to put a dead keyfob. Does this work even with NO battery at all in the Keyfob? (Assuming an entirely dead battery) How does this work? NFC/RFID?
Yes, I've tested it using a fob without a battery and it works just fine as long as you put the fob in the right spot. It uses passive RFID-style recognition to verify the presence of the fob, a totally different technology and mode than the normal battery-operated functions. Kind of like having a cell phone that works with analogue, 3G and 4G LTE cell towers, although that technology difference is a lot more transparent to the user.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I've tested it using a fob without a battery and it works just fine as long as you put the fob in the right spot. It uses passive RFID-style recognition to verify the presence of the fob, a totally different technology and mode than the normal battery-operated functions. Kind of like having a cell phone that works with analogue, 3G and 4G LTE cell towers, although that technology difference is a lot more transparent to the user.
Awesome, thanks for the info and confirmation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts