Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I share that my (bought it used) 2017 Bolt Premier pop up a message on the driver panel saying that the keyfob battery was weak and needed replacement. The keyfob is in my pocket and never really comes out. The Bolt locks the door automatically and when I come near it I push the button to unlock and open. So it was interesting to see the message. I tested the battery and it was at 20%. I tested the other keyfob (wife has on her key chain) and it was down to 40% replaced that one also. This was a nice experience compared to what I recall with another car years ago with a dead keyfob in the rain. Nice that you get a warning before being stranded. BTW still loving my Bolt!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Even with a 100% depleted battery in your fob, you can still use the key to get in, and the double-secret console spot to start it.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Just thought I share that my (bought it used) 2017 Bolt Premier pop up a message on the driver panel saying that the keyfob battery was weak and needed replacement.
Interesting. The keyfob and its battery that came with my 2017 Bolt when I bought it new has been going strong, but it may be nearing its end of life too. Nice to know that the car will warn you about this in plenty of time before it dies.

I carry a spare keyfob without a battery hidden on the vehicle in case I loose my fob or I manage to get it locked inside the car somehow despite the warning chirps. And I carry a couple of batteries in the glove compartment. So I'm all ready to swap batteries as soon as the message pops up...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Interesting. The keyfob and its battery that came with my 2017 Bolt when I bought it new has been going strong, but it may be nearing its end of life too. Nice to know that the car will warn you about this in plenty of time before it dies.
Got the 'replace fob battery' warning for my fob at 3 years, and 32K miles. Battery was at 2.892 V. New one is 3.191 V. Message cleared. Wife's is still going strong.

·
Registered
368 Posts
...I carry a spare keyfob without a battery hidden on the vehicle in case I loose my fob ...
Yeah, me too. I have mine hidden in the rear trunk area, with the battery out of it. I made up several "dupes" of our fobs, and we only carry the non-OEM ones, which will enable us to make additional fobs if so desired.

Rich

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
hey what do you mean dupes?
You can buy additional key fobs from your GM parts department or from places like Car and Truck Remotes and then program them to work with your car by following the instructions in your owner's manual. You need two fobs that are already programmed for the car in order to program new fobs. And you can get your GM parts department to cut the physical keys in the fobs so that they'll be able to open the driver's door if the battery fails.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
$80 bucks for you! You will need both OEM keys to program the fob. May take a couple of times trying (it did for me).

Rich

OK I have been planning to get a spare for three years, and your post with a link finally pushed me to do it...especially after thinking about going into the dealership for a replacement during the pandemic. It arrived in the mailbox this am. Programming was easy. I plan to put it in the file with our car stuff. I assume it will retain its programming if I take the battery out, as it may sit in there for years?

·
Registered
368 Posts
... I plan to put it in the file with our car stuff. I assume it will retain its programming if I take the battery out, as it may sit in there for years?
I urge you to consider using the non-OEM fob. That way if you loose it you can simply order and make another. If you loose your factory fob you are effectively precluded from this option.

Rich

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I urge you to consider using the non-OEM fob. That way if you loose it you can simply order and make another. If you loose your factory fob you are effectively precluded from this option.

Rich
Wow! Didn't realize there was any distinction. I will definitely do that. Thanks.

So you really need two replacement fobs, in case the SO losses theirs...that stinks. I guess I will carry the replacement, as I am more likely to lose one, than my so together wife.:(

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The car can be programmed to recognize a new fob as long as you have two fobs that are already recognized by the car. Those two fobs don't have to be the OEM ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts