Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth, the latest version of MyChevrolet app has keypass functionality enabled. This time I was able to get it working right away. Now if they would just add climate control settings and maybe target charge level, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So as someone who bought a Bolt just as KeyPass was removed, and Chevy's documentation regarding it is very vague - exactly what is it?

Direct Bluetooth status connection to the car instead of always going through OnStar cellular? (Given how unreliable OnStar vehicle status updates are when I'm parked in my garage, I'm assuming it's going through cellular despite being connected to a strong wifi network - cellular service in my garage is extremely poor.)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
exactly what is it?
I've never used it. But the original concept, was a replacement for your key. Read an article about the person at GM that came up with the idea. She noticed that she always had her phone, but sometimes would forget her keys. So she designed keypass so you could use your phone as a replacement for your key. So that's my limited understanding of the app.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It basically allows the car to communicate with the app over bluetooth instead of cellular. There's a keypass-only feature that turns on the headlights when the phone is in proximity. I turned that off as it was activating frequently in my garage.

I do use it sometimes to change departure times or check charge levels. Lately, I've been investigating a possible slow leak so it's been handy to check the tire pressure remotely. Bluetooth makes this easier as I'd say the cellular connectivity in my garage would fail maybe 10 percent of the time (it's also much slower to return results).

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what it's worth, the latest version of MyChevrolet app has keypass functionality enabled. This time I was able to get it working right away. Now if they would just add climate control settings and maybe target charge level, I'd be happy.
What version of the software are you running?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. It shows I updated 22 hours ago. Probably a coincidence but I posted a negative review some time back regarding the removal of keypass. Maybe I've been placated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My app updated this morning and I had KeyPass available. I set it up on my Pixel 3, it paired, seemed fine. Left and came back 30-40 minutes later and was sitting in the car with the phone, the message at top said connected by OnStar, will use KeyPass when in range. Uhh, can't get much closer than sitting in the car with the phone. I even went in and forced the phone to pair with KeyPass and it still reported it was using OnStar. About what I expected, I guess I'll leave it set up and check every so often to see if it ever works. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where is Keepass found in the app?
Never had it to begin with, but recently updated to 3.27 and don't see anything different.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
...Leave it to Chevrolet to have a naming collision with not one, but two other password manager products (Keypass and Keepass). It must be that they laid everyone off in the trademark research division, or they just thought "We're GM, we can do whatever we want, to heck with it if it makes things confusing, if they sue us, our legal team will draw it out in the courts, and win, because its a different product category"

I've only got 3.26 available in the store. I'm pretty sure I complained in a review, so I don't think that helped...

·
Registered
51 Posts
My app updated this morning and I had KeyPass available. I set it up on my Pixel 3, it paired, seemed fine. Left and came back 30-40 minutes later and was sitting in the car with the phone, the message at top said connected by OnStar, will use KeyPass when in range. Uhh, can't get much closer than sitting in the car with the phone. I even went in and forced the phone to pair with KeyPass and it still reported it was using OnStar. About what I expected, I guess I'll leave it set up and check every so often to see if it ever works. ¯\(ツ)
I was not so lucky, Keypass shows on the top of screen but it does not detected my car, yes it's enabled on the settings menu on the car... it says if it does not detect your car contact your dealer...Oh, well

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't had any issues yet. It's been working fine. Before keypass was originally pulled, it took several weeks of sporadic attempts to get it to work. I succeeded by granting the app camera permissions beforehand (needed to scan the QR code). This time, the app asked me to approve that permission and I was able to get connected. I think it took two tries though so still not seamless. Come to think of it, I also removed the existing phone profile on the car's keypass settings screen between the 1st and 2nd attempt. Probably not helpful if you've never had it working but maybe that will help someone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
FYI, where to find KeyPass setup. Open the app, scroll to the bottom, go into Settings.

I did get it to connect yesterday. Walked up to the car, got in, it connected. Haven't checked today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't had any issues yet. It's been working fine. Before keypass was originally pulled, it took several weeks of sporadic attempts to get it to work. I succeeded by granting the app camera permissions beforehand (needed to scan the QR code). This time, the app asked me to approve that permission and I was able to get connected. I think it took two tries though so still not seamless. Come to think of it, I also removed the existing phone profile on the car's keypass settings screen between the 1st and 2nd attempt. Probably not helpful if you've never had it working but maybe that will help someone.
I was not asked for Camera Access, you talk about a QR code, which one?

Thanks,
Freddy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts