Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Weird. I don't see Bluetooth turned on in your status bar. Could that be it?
Android 10 only shows a Bluetooth icon when there's an active connection to a device. No icon when Bluetooth is on but not currently being used.

I'm wondering if KeyPass depends on fingerprint support, and thus anyone using newer devices is screwed by GM's laziness. Google updated the biometric APIs over 6 months ago and GM still hasn't updated MyChevrolet to use them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
'm wondering if KeyPass depends on fingerprint support, and thus anyone using newer devices is screwed by GM's laziness. Google updated the biometric APIs over 6 months ago and GM still hasn't updated MyChevrolet to use them.
It is interesting that fingerprint support is at the bottom of my setup screen. I'm on a Pixel 3 and I use fingerprint authorization to unlock. I'm not familiar with the Pixel 4, so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have Galaxy note 9. Only 3.26.0 is available on Google play store. No sight of 3.27.0. Didn't help uninstall and reinstall. Guess it is device dependent.

The car has been bugging me to set up keypass. Tried numerous times. Never successful.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No KeyPass here on a Pixel 4 XL:
View attachment 29009
Interesting. My settings screen has "KeyPass Setup" after "Units of Measure" and "Fingerprint Authentication" after "Regional Info". If you go to the "Key Fob" or "Vehicle Status" sections of the app, do you have a notice near the top of the screen that says anything about keypass or possibly something like "Connected via OnStar"? Tapping on that is how I first setup the feature.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was not asked for Camera Access, you talk about a QR code, which one?

Thanks,
Freddy
After I was asked for camera permissions, a QR code appeared on the car's infotainment screen and the phone went into "camera mode". I pointed the camera at the screen and that completed the pairing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is interesting that fingerprint support is at the bottom of my setup screen. I'm on a Pixel 3 and I use fingerprint authorization to unlock. I'm not familiar with the Pixel 4, so I can't comment on that.
When Google added face recognition unlock, they replaced the old fingerprint-only API with a more generic biometric API.

When Will Banks Support Google Pixel 4's Face Unlock Tech? We Asked for some info. Apps that used the old fingerprint API won't work with the Pixel 4's face unlock. GM hasn't updated their app in at least 6 months since Android 10 and the Pixel 4 went live, and longer since Google published developer documentation on the new API.

Interesting. My settings screen has "KeyPass Setup" after "Units of Measure" and "Fingerprint Authentication" after "Regional Info". If you go to the "Key Fob" or "Vehicle Status" sections of the app, do you have a notice near the top of the screen that says anything about keypass or possibly something like "Connected via OnStar"? Tapping on that is how I first setup the feature.
Nope, nothing about Connected Via OnStar or KeyPass, just the six fob control icons and "Learn More" which contains no reference to KeyPass.

I'm wondering if GM is requiring fingerprint support for KeyPass, which leaves users of new devices that have non-fingerprint biometric methods high and dry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm wondering if GM is requiring fingerprint support for KeyPass, which leaves users of new devices that have non-fingerprint biometric methods high and dry.
Good theory. If you go to Account->Account Info, does it ask for a PIN to proceed? Is there any chance you don't have a PIN associated with the app?

·
Registered
41 Posts
After I was asked for camera permissions, a QR code appeared on the car's infotainment screen and the phone went into "camera mode". I pointed the camera at the screen and that completed the pairing.
Ok, I don't get that step, it seems it does not detect my car, question, when you open bluetooth properties, and select the settings on the MyChevrolet use for what does it show?

Thanks,
Freddy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good theory. If you go to Account->Account Info, does it ask for a PIN to proceed? Is there any chance you don't have a PIN associated with the app?
Yup, same PIN I have to put in every time I have to precondition.

(I'm guessing users of devices that support the legacy fingerprint-only API can just use fingerprint here?)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, I don't get that step, it seems it does not detect my car, question, when you open bluetooth properties, and select the settings on the MyChevrolet use for what does it show?

Thanks,
Freddy
For myChevrolet, it shows "Contact Access" turned on. I have another entry though under bluetooth properties called "KeyPass". It has the same icon as other bluetooth devices like my OBD2 reader and a camera I have with bluetooth connectivity. Clicking the gear for settings only shows a switch to unpair (like the other two devices mentioned).

·
Registered
41 Posts
For myChevrolet, it shows "Contact Access" turned on. I have another entry though under bluetooth properties called "KeyPass". It has the same icon as other bluetooth devices like my OBD2 reader and a camera I have with bluetooth connectivity. Clicking the gear for settings only shows a switch to unpair (like the other two devices mentioned).
Thanks, that is what I guessed, there is another bluetooth device for the purpose of KeyPass, so far I have not seen it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, that is what I guessed, there is another bluetooth device for the purpose of KeyPass, so far I have not seen it.
My 2020 almost seems like it generates random Bluetooth devices (I constantly see new notifications of new "trusted devices" I can add on my phone to keep it unlocked)

For example, in addition to the myChevrolet device, there's GM_PEPS_VKM and GM_PEPS_VKS1 through VKS4

Edit: looks like these may be associated with keyless entry

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2020 almost seems like it generates random Bluetooth devices (I constantly see new notifications of new "trusted devices" I can add on my phone to keep it unlocked)

For example, in addition to the myChevrolet device, there's GM_PEPS_VKM and GM_PEPS_VKS1 through VKS4

Edit: looks like these may be associated with keyless entry
I got some of those in the past, I'll let this rest as I'm not driving much, and see if the messages I used to get when I got the car, appear again, This morning I erased my phone from the keypass devices... as it would not work when the new software was trying to connect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have Galaxy note 9. Only 3.26.0 is available on Google play store. No sight of 3.27.0. Didn't help uninstall and reinstall. Guess it is device dependent.

The car has been bugging me to set up keypass. Tried numerous times. Never successful.
I too have a Note 9 and spent a lot of time trying to get KeyPass to work when I bought the Bolt 1 year ago (hard to believe!). I've been thinking of trying again. Thank you for saving me the trouble, as I have little hair left to pull out, and don't want to waste any more of it on this disaster of an app.

Chevrolet has nonexistent software leadership and probably outsources everything as one-time projects. How thoughtless. Maybe Mark Reuss or Matt Tsien is supposed to be taking care of it. In Tesla, software is actually important. Musk himself runs it (along with everything else except CFO).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm even wondering if the 2020 supports Keypass - it's listed as a feature on the ordering pages, but is described as solely to enable car-sharing via Maven... Is there supposed to be anything in the car's UI about KeyPass, or solely phone-side? If so, where?

There's almost nothing about KeyPass in the owners' manual. KeyPass is listed as "Standard" on all trim levels of the Bolt on chevrolet.com, but the Owners' Manual lists it as "If Equipped", and it appears to be nowhere in the Settings menus...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was happy to see the keypass setup back in the mychevrolet app but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it working (Galaxy S7). When I bought my Bolt over a year ago I was able to set it up on the first try and it always worked flawlessly. I've tried giving the app all permissions, deleting my past keypass devices in the car, restarting the phone and car but nothing seems to work. Most of the time it will find the vehicle, then try to pair, I'll get a notification on my phone for pairing with keypass and then the app just says pairing with vehicle and gets stuck there. I've probably tried a few dozen times now with no successes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was happy to see the keypass setup back in the mychevrolet app but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it working (Galaxy S7). When I bought my Bolt over a year ago I was able to set it up on the first try and it always worked flawlessly. I've tried giving the app all permissions, deleting my past keypass devices in the car, restarting the phone and car but nothing seems to work. Most of the time it will find the vehicle, then try to pair, I'll get a notification on my phone for pairing with keypass and then the app just says pairing with vehicle and gets stuck there. I've probably tried a few dozen times now with no successes.
I got mine last May. Then I got a cheap Alcatel. Turned out Android Go was not compatible with Android Auto. Fine phone though. Returned it. Found a reference list that indicated the S7 running A7. I found a used one but it had been upgraded to A8 by the previous owner. Bought it anyway as it was time for a newer phone. Spent a crapload o' time trying to get it working with KeyPass to no avail. Gave up.
I get the same result as you. Still no 3.27 showing up in the Play store.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got mine last May. Then I got a cheap Alcatel. Turned out Android Go was not compatible with Android Auto. Fine phone though. Returned it. Found a reference list that indicated the S7 running A7. I found a used one but it had been upgraded to A8 by the previous owner. Bought it anyway as it was time for a newer phone. Spent a crapload o' time trying to get it working with KeyPass to no avail. Gave up.
I get the same result as you. Still no 3.27 showing up in the Play store.
I think they are doing a slow deploy, they don't want to throw a lot of updates that will collapse onstar customer service number.
If you run the google app on your pc, and search for mychevrolet, it will show that only my old S8 (wife) is compatible with mychevrolet, however I have it on my S10, everything works but KeyPass.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm even wondering if the 2020 supports Keypass - it's listed as a feature on the ordering pages, but is described as solely to enable car-sharing via Maven... Is there supposed to be anything in the car's UI about KeyPass, or solely phone-side? If so, where?

There's almost nothing about KeyPass in the owners' manual. KeyPass is listed as "Standard" on all trim levels of the Bolt on chevrolet.com, but the Owners' Manual lists it as "If Equipped", and it appears to be nowhere in the Settings menus...
FWIW, not seeing it here either on 3.27.0 with 2020 Bolt and LG G7 ThinQ phone.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts