Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a new smartphone user. Got a Samsung Galaxy S7. Have had the Bolt for a year and a half. I have the Mychevy app on the phone and working. I have key fob functionality with the app. Android Auto works. I have navigation now. Cool!

Looking thru the Watch and Learn section of the Mychevy app, I saw a video about Keypass. Thought I'd try to set it up. Went out to the car and followed the instructions. Got a screen saying no phone connected with keypass, enable keypass on your device. ??? Then I see posts on the forum that chevy has done away with keypass? THEN I get to wondering: What does keypass do that the Mychevy key fob function doesn't? Aren't they basically doing the same thing? Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The MyChevrolet app using KeyPass or OnStar can tell you charge level to what it claims to be 1% resolution (instead of 5% on the bars in the dash display). KeyPass is faster than OnStar for anything the app can do with the car.

I had to try many times before KeyPass would set up on my phone, but (once set up) it works whenever the phone is near the car. But the only added functionality that I use is seeing the charge level at 1% resolution.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The difference between keypass and the usual remote commands through the app is keypass is communicated over bluetooth and without keypass the commands are communicated over the vehicle's OnStar 4g connection. The normal remote key fob commands require an OnStar subscription or being one of those who got the remote access plan for free. Keypass and bluetooth does not require a subscription. Only that your phone be within bluetooth range.

That said keypass setup has been removed from the android version of the app with 3.22 but is still present in the apple version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That said keypass setup has been removed from the android version of the app with 3.22 but is still present in the apple version.
So now that Keypass has been removed from Android, is there any way to remove the un-dismissable nag screen every third time I start the car?

Keypass is a neat feature that GM / LG has completely and unequivocally bungled. The fact that it doesn't work (and that the functionality has been REMOVED for Android) ought to be a class action / warranty claim type of item.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So now that Keypass has been removed from Android, is there any way to remove the un-dismissable nag screen every third time I start the car?

Keypass is a neat feature that GM / LG has completely and unequivocally bungled. The fact that it doesn't work (and that the functionality has been REMOVED for Android) ought to be a class action / warranty claim type of item.
Not that I am aware of.
About an hour ago i got off the phone with the gm connectivity team again. I called a day or two after 3.23 was released about this issue. It was escalated and I eventually got a call back and it was escalated again and i received no further call backs for about a month. I called again 3 weeks ago. Jumped through some hoops like reinstalling the app and it was again escalated and I was told I would get a called by Tuesday. This was Friday. The next Friday I still hadn't received a call so I called again. This time I was told stuff like nothing but the 2017 bolt supports keypass but after pushing with them it worked previously it was again escalated. I said this is like the 3rd time this has been escalated. What will be different about this time? They said they'll personally oversee it. Again no call back a week later so I call again today.

First person: keypass and bluetooth is for text messaging and calls. So I asked to speak to someone else. 2nd person: you need over the air updates to the vehicle. Push the white OnStar button in the vehicle. I'll makes notes so they know why. I try to tell them it's the app, not the vehicle, but go ahead a try. OnStar passes me back to the gm connectivity team who told me to contact OnStar. Third person eventually contacts offline support themselves and tries resetting up my OnStar account. Still doesn't work. Then she says other people are reporting this too and they're working on it.

So hopefully they're working on it but given the cluster **** that is gm connectivity or OnStar I wouldn't bet on it. I'll be pushing for free OnStar since free keypass that could accomplish the same is no longer available if it isn't fixed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll be pushing for free OnStar since free keypass that could accomplish the same is no longer available if it isn't fixed.
Fantastic idea. I'm really put off by Onstar, and I've been very vocal about it, for all the stated reasons. Even it it was free, I'm not sure I'd be happy. This is me implying that it's worthless no matter what the asking price. Give me a place to snap in my own sim card, and a place for me to enter the name of the server I want to use to manage my connected car, and I'll be happy. Onstar should have died 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OnStar and Keypass are really not comparable. Not sure how I would, even being an entitled whiny American, connect the dots to argue that I want one product for free because GM has taken one away. The Keypass product sucked anyway, and having to be within Bluetooth range is a joke. A gimmick about as useful as the FLOW screen is on the dash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Other than one being 4g and one being bluetooth and the range with each OnStar remote access plan is very much comparable. They both allow remote starting, locking, checking battery soc, changing departures times and whatnot.

Keypass through bluetooth allowed me to do all of that from my bedroom or dining room without an OnStar remote access plan. Aka free. The vehicle was sold with this functionality. I expect it to be returned in some way. Not sure how that's being whiney or entitled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts