Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a new smartphone user. Got a Samsung Galaxy S7. Have had the Bolt for a year and a half. I have the Mychevy app on the phone and working. I have key fob functionality with the app. Android Auto works. I have navigation now. Cool!

Looking thru the Watch and Learn section of the Mychevy app, I saw a video about Keypass. Thought I'd try to set it up. Went out to the car and followed the instructions. Got a screen saying no phone connected with keypass, enable keypass on your device. ??? Then I see posts on the forum that chevy has done away with keypass? THEN I get to wondering: What does keypass do that the Mychevy key fob function doesn't? Aren't they basically doing the same thing? Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The MyChevrolet app using KeyPass or OnStar can tell you charge level to what it claims to be 1% resolution (instead of 5% on the bars in the dash display). KeyPass is faster than OnStar for anything the app can do with the car.

I had to try many times before KeyPass would set up on my phone, but (once set up) it works whenever the phone is near the car. But the only added functionality that I use is seeing the charge level at 1% resolution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The difference between keypass and the usual remote commands through the app is keypass is communicated over bluetooth and without keypass the commands are communicated over the vehicle's OnStar 4g connection. The normal remote key fob commands require an OnStar subscription or being one of those who got the remote access plan for free. Keypass and bluetooth does not require a subscription. Only that your phone be within bluetooth range.

That said keypass setup has been removed from the android version of the app with 3.22 but is still present in the apple version.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Openair
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing