Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After multiple attempts to connect with the MyChevy app, I contacted GM last week to try to get KeyPass to connect with my Bolt. Even the GM rep was unable to get it to connect and promised to have the "technical team" contact me this week. That of course never happened, so I called in again. This time speaking to someone that supposedly was in touch with someone from technical. After 15 minites on the phone and hanging up, I got a call telling me that only iphones and samsung phones could hook up to KeyPass. REALLY!!!

My LG phone works with all other apps, works with bluetooth, and connects to every other aspect of this car except KeyPass. While going through the KeyPass setup, I get to the point where it asks for a pass code, which I don't have.

Do any of you that have been able to connect with KeyPass have a pass code that you can share?

·
Registered
64 Posts
After multiple attempts to connect with the MyChevy app, I contacted GM last week to try to get KeyPass to connect with my Bolt. Even the GM rep was unable to get it to connect and promised to have the "technical team" contact me this week. That of course never happened, so I called in again. This time speaking to someone that supposedly was in touch with someone from technical. After 15 minites on the phone and hanging up, I got a call telling me that only iphones and samsung phones could hook up to KeyPass. REALLY!!!

My LG phone works with all other apps, works with bluetooth, and connects to every other aspect of this car except KeyPass. While going through the KeyPass setup, I get to the point where it asks for a pass code, which I don't have.

Do any of you that have been able to connect with KeyPass have a pass code that you can share?
I have an LG g6 and have not been able to connect to the keypass at all. You have gotten farther! LOL.
I have been able to pair with the car once but never got a code. Every time i try either the bluetooth connection times out or it cant find the vehicle.
I hope that the chevy app upgrades to work with LG phones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My phone doesn't seem to work with the MyChevy app/Keypass either, but I'm not surprised since my phone is not too common. It's a Cat S60 and runs Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), which should work, but I have been unsuccessful. I got to the pin screen once, but never got to the QR code screen.

I was able to pair with BlueTooth, but it kept disconnecting. I also tried Android Auto, which works for navigation and music, but I cannot make or receive phone calls (even with BlueTooth.) Android Auto requires the phone to be plugged into the USB port though.

You can reset your pin here in your account setting here:
https://my.chevrolet.com/home

miked1541

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told by GM tech dept. today that only iphones and Samsung Galaxies are the only phones that can use KeyPass! What was GM thnking. Will they ever upgrade the software to include more phones or are we all stuck for the years we own our cars?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only Iphones and samsung galxie phones work, and then if you are in ontario canada, you need either these phones PLUS be on a Rogers, Telus or Bell plan

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Only Iphones and samsung galxie phones work, and then if you are in ontario canada, you need either these phones PLUS be on a Rogers, Telus or Bell plan
Carrier is irrelevant when it comes to Keypass since it only works by Bluetooth. The myChevrolet app incorporates Keypass into it's functionality, and will use OnStar or Keypass as necessary to communicate with the car for certain functions. That part of things may require a specific carrier, but Keypass does not.

As to which phones are supported, unfortunately I have not seen a definitive list of compatible phones from Chevrolet that work with Keypass. I would be surprised if it was only iPhones and Samsung Galaxy series phones, but I don't have a non iPhone or Samsung phone to test with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Carrier is irrelevant when it comes to Keypass since it only works by Bluetooth. The myChevrolet app incorporates Keypass into it's functionality, and will use OnStar or Keypass as necessary to communicate with the car for certain functions. That part of things may require a specific carrier, but Keypass does not.

As to which phones are supported, unfortunately I have not seen a definitive list of compatible phones from Chevrolet that work with Keypass. I would be surprised if it was only iPhones and Samsung Galaxy series phones, but I don't have a non iPhone or Samsung phone to test with.

https://my.gm.ca/chevrolet/en/bluetooth/
shows 3 carriers listed,
then after you pick one, shows supported phones.

RogerS network: Apple , samsung (select models for both)
Telus Network : Apple, LG, Blackberry (select models for all)
Bell Network: Apple select Iphones only.

It states that other carriers and phones may work but have not been tested for compatibility. I have an LG G6 and does not work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was told by GM tech dept. today that only iphones and Samsung Galaxies are the only phones that can use KeyPass! What was GM thnking. Will they ever upgrade the software to include more phones or are we all stuck for the years we own our cars?
It sucks but at the same time expected, those phones dominate the phone market.

That being the case it will be smart to pick up a used Samsung. Used Note 3's go for cheap.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
https://my.gm.ca/chevrolet/en/bluetooth/
shows 3 carriers listed,
then after you pick one, shows supported phones.

RogerS network: Apple , samsung (select models for both)
Telus Network : Apple, LG, Blackberry (select models for all)
Bell Network: Apple select Iphones only.

It states that other carriers and phones may work but have not been tested for compatibility. I have an LG G6 and does not work.
I think this is a case of GM/Chevy not doing sufficient testing, and not updating their website. On the US site, when I can get a list of a phones to come up (it's not reliable) with some of the carriers listed, only the iPhone 7 is listed under Apple, but I have an iPhone 6s which works just fine. However, on the Canadian site, the iPhone 6s and 6s plus are listed, but not the iPhone 7.

Keep in mind that that this is for Bluetooth pairing for use with the MyLink Infotainment system, which is not quite the same as Keypass. You have to use the Infotainment system to enable Keypass, of course, so there is some interdependence.

I can see how which carrier you are using might be related to generic Bluetooth connectivity given how different carriers have their own special versions of the OS on Android, and that could affect the bluetooth stack. It's possible that the carriers screwing around could've screwed up Keypass since it piggybacks on Bluetooth. That's one advantage I like about iPhones: Apple doesn't let the carriers put carrier-specific crap/bloat-ware on the iPhone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can pair my lg G6 no problem with the car via bluetooth, and it works fine. when i attempt to connect to Keypass it searches for vehicle, sometimes it cant find it, sometimes the bluetooth connection disconnects, i have never gotten to the point of seeing a barcode come up to scan. Its a little frustrating and hopefully before winter it will be updated and working for my phone... Would love to be able to pre-condition and change settings via my phone in the mornings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Would love to be able to pre-condition and change settings via my phone in the mornings.
Can't you do that already without KeyPass (Remote start = pre-condition)? The MyChevrolet app allows this without keypass enabled through the regular "Key Fob" function.

All that the KeyPass adds to this is direct connectivity to the car commands via Bluetooth instead of cell (meaning that your key fob commands don't go through the internet), and vehicle approach detection.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Can't you do that already without KeyPass (Remote start = pre-condition)? The MyChevrolet app allows this without keypass enabled through the regular "Key Fob" function.

All that the KeyPass adds to this is direct connectivity to the car commands via Bluetooth instead of cell (meaning that your key fob commands don't go through the internet), and vehicle approach detection.
If you have spotty AT&T coverage, you will have trouble connecting to the car via OnStar because the Bolt uses AT&T for it's OnStar cellular connection. I know this first hand because I live in such an area. With Keypass I can connect more easily to the car to do preconditioning. Approach detection is nice, though I wish it were based on the keyfob, like how Toyota does it. That's a much better setup...

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you have spotty AT&T coverage, you will have trouble connecting to the car via OnStar because the Bolt uses AT&T for it's OnStar cellular connection. I know this first hand because I live in such an area. With Keypass I can connect more easily to the car to do preconditioning. Approach detection is nice, though I wish it were based on the keyfob, like how Toyota does it. That's a much better setup...
Yeah, I can see how not having AT&T signal would be problematic, though if you are close enough to get a Bluetooth connection, you could probably also start preconditioning with the key fob itself... Luckily, I have good AT&T signal in my area.

I agree that the approach detection from the key fob would be much better. It's even worse with the app since, at least on my device, approach detection only seems to work if the MyChevrolet app is open.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yeah, I can see how not having AT&T signal would be problematic, though if you are close enough to get a Bluetooth connection, you could probably also start preconditioning with the key fob itself... Luckily, I have good AT&T signal in my area.

I agree that the approach detection from the key fob would be much better. It's even worse with the app since, at least on my device, approach detection only seems to work if the MyChevrolet app is open.
The range on the keyfob doesn't seem to be great enough while inside the house, and besides, I can't see/hear the car from inside of the house, so I have no way of knowing if the preconditioning is working from the Keyfob. If I'm in range and use Keypass, I get immediate feedback that it worked or didn't. I've already figured out where in the house I need to be to get Keypass to work with the app.

I too thought you had to have the app opened and in the foreground in order to have approach detection work, but then I went out to the car once with the app running in the background and approach detection lit up the car. This is on an iPhone running IOS 10.3. So, yes, app open, but not necessarily in foreground.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too thought you had to have the app opened and in the foreground in order to have approach detection work, but then I went out to the car once with the app running in the background and approach detection lit up the car. This is on an iPhone running IOS 10.3. So, yes, app open, but not necessarily in foreground.
Nice! Maybe I'll test a little bit more using KeyPass myself again. I just dismissed it outright after a few days, because of the app open issue, and the fact that the approach detection was too sensitive. It kept turning on the headlights when I was on the side of the house with the car on it as it detected I was close enough. Maybe I can find some setting to tweak this.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Nice! Maybe I'll test a little bit more using KeyPass myself again. I just dismissed it outright after a few days, because of the app open issue, and the fact that the approach detection was too sensitive. It kept turning on the headlights when I was on the side of the house with the car on it as it detected I was close enough. Maybe I can find some setting to tweak this.
I don't think you can tweak the approach detection sensitivity. In the app it says "Approach detection will activate the vehicle's exterior lighting for 30 seconds once every 2 minutes, with a limit of 3 times per hour." So at least it won't constantly be lighting up the car and annoying the neighbors.

A couple of times I have encountered a problem where the app lost the Keypass setup and I had to set it up again. I don't know why it happens. The iPhone still shows Keypass as a known bluetooth device, but the app has lost the setup, and the Infotainment settings also show that Keypass is not setup for my phone. I don't know if OnStar is somehow interfering with things. It does not appear to be related to the app being updated.

·
Registered
64 Posts

forgive me for being stupid on this but i thought with the keypass you could program the temperature/preconditioning settings from the app. So I would need to set the climate/heated seats to on and then turn off the car at night and then in the morning just remote start/precondition and it will go to the last settings???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts