Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

KeyPass

16K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  yafmb 
#1 ·
After multiple attempts to connect with the MyChevy app, I contacted GM last week to try to get KeyPass to connect with my Bolt. Even the GM rep was unable to get it to connect and promised to have the "technical team" contact me this week. That of course never happened, so I called in again. This time speaking to someone that supposedly was in touch with someone from technical. After 15 minites on the phone and hanging up, I got a call telling me that only iphones and samsung phones could hook up to KeyPass. REALLY!!!

My LG phone works with all other apps, works with bluetooth, and connects to every other aspect of this car except KeyPass. While going through the KeyPass setup, I get to the point where it asks for a pass code, which I don't have.

Do any of you that have been able to connect with KeyPass have a pass code that you can share?

#2 ·
I have an LG g6 and have not been able to connect to the keypass at all. You have gotten farther! LOL.
I have been able to pair with the car once but never got a code. Every time i try either the bluetooth connection times out or it cant find the vehicle.
I hope that the chevy app upgrades to work with LG phones.

#3 ·
My phone doesn't seem to work with the MyChevy app/Keypass either, but I'm not surprised since my phone is not too common. It's a Cat S60 and runs Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), which should work, but I have been unsuccessful. I got to the pin screen once, but never got to the QR code screen.

I was able to pair with BlueTooth, but it kept disconnecting. I also tried Android Auto, which works for navigation and music, but I cannot make or receive phone calls (even with BlueTooth.) Android Auto requires the phone to be plugged into the USB port though.

You can reset your pin here in your account setting here:
https://my.chevrolet.com/home

miked1541

#6 ·
I was told by GM tech dept. today that only iphones and Samsung Galaxies are the only phones that can use KeyPass! What was GM thnking. Will they ever upgrade the software to include more phones or are we all stuck for the years we own our cars?

#8 ·
Carrier is irrelevant when it comes to Keypass since it only works by Bluetooth. The myChevrolet app incorporates Keypass into it's functionality, and will use OnStar or Keypass as necessary to communicate with the car for certain functions. That part of things may require a specific carrier, but Keypass does not.

As to which phones are supported, unfortunately I have not seen a definitive list of compatible phones from Chevrolet that work with Keypass. I would be surprised if it was only iPhones and Samsung Galaxy series phones, but I don't have a non iPhone or Samsung phone to test with.

#12 ·
I can pair my lg G6 no problem with the car via bluetooth, and it works fine. when i attempt to connect to Keypass it searches for vehicle, sometimes it cant find it, sometimes the bluetooth connection disconnects, i have never gotten to the point of seeing a barcode come up to scan. Its a little frustrating and hopefully before winter it will be updated and working for my phone... Would love to be able to pre-condition and change settings via my phone in the mornings.

#13 ·
Would love to be able to pre-condition and change settings via my phone in the mornings.
Can't you do that already without KeyPass (Remote start = pre-condition)? The MyChevrolet app allows this without keypass enabled through the regular "Key Fob" function.

All that the KeyPass adds to this is direct connectivity to the car commands via Bluetooth instead of cell (meaning that your key fob commands don't go through the internet), and vehicle approach detection.

#26 ·
I have a Samsung S8 and it goes into an infinite pairing loop. It finds the car, waits to scan the QR, scans the QR in the display, the car immediately fails or says phone registered, but in any case the phone spends a few minutes analyzing the QR before hanging. The phone is not registered in either case. Then it initializes the procedure again ad infinitum.

So, having a supported Samsung doesn't help.

#27 ·
I spent several hours trying to get KeyPass to work. Not sure what I did, but it finally connected. Wish I could offer more help.

#29 ·
This is my experience from a newbie. It might help others...

I assumed a lease from a previous lesee, so I began with no onstar subscription. On my iphone, I installed mychevrolet app's, and then through the Bolt's menu added this phone in keypass. Then in "Key Fob" section of the app, lock and unlock worked. When I disable bluetooth on the phone the "Key Fob" section of the app is greyed out, meaning bluetooth is employed for the underlying data communications from the app to the car. If I am out of range of bluetooth - phone is away from the car, then it remains greyed out.

Then I got myself enrolled in Onstar "Basic" free plan, which is known as "Connected Access" on Onstar's site. It's free until 2022 in my case. Onstar as noted elsewhere uses cellular and some folks said it is over the AT&T mobile network.

With onstar "Connected Access" subscription enabled, I went to the mychevrolet app's "Key Fob" section, and when out of range of bluetooth, I expected the buttons for lock/unlock etc. to be enabled, but they were still greyed out. I uninstalled the mychevrolet app and re-installed it on the iphone. Now the buttons are enabled in the "Key Fob" section. I assume it is now using data messaging over the cellular network and reaching the car via onstar cell connection.

On the myChevrolet app in the "Vehicle Status" section, the electric miles remaining is not automatically updated, as other readers probably noted. You need to "pull down" on the menu of items in myChevrolet app to refresh the data.

Some of the car data is also accessible via a computer and web browser. That data is also assumed to be sent over the cellular network from the car to some backend and served from mychevrolet.com website. Curiously the miles remaining is a little bit off in the browser from what the myChevrolet app on the phone shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.