Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to disable the WiFi hotspot? My situation is, I activated the hotspot when I first got the car so I could play with it using the free trial of On Star. The free trial ran out and I have no intentions of ever paying monthly for it. The problem comes from the WiFi hotspot still being fully active but connects to nothing and I sometimes forget to turn the WiFi off on my phone, so it automatically connects to the hotspot and since a WiFi connection has precedence over an LTE connection, I can't get any maps.

Of course the solution is to turn the WiFi off on my phone, but it would be nice to kill the hotspot and I cannot figure out a way. I can't delete it from the list of WiFi connections and even though it says it has no connection, it is always on and connecting with my phone.

Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I joined my iPhone to my Bolt hotspot, but also decided against using the hotspot, so did the "forget this network" so now it doesn't flip to the Bolt hotspot. My husband has a Volt, with long expired data, and his hotspot still shows up and asks if we want to join, but doesn't automatically pair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In the myChrevrolet app on my iPhone, there's a toggle for 'Hotspot Disabled'. I seem to recall turning it off a day or two before my trial ran out.

You should also be able to tell your phone to 'Forget this connection', which means the phone will erase the saved wifi password. That will prevent the phone from connecting. For that matter, you should be able to just change the password on the car's hotspot, and that will also keep the phone from connecting.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think you can turn off the Bolt WiFi. But the setting seems ambiguous and appears that it completely turns off the radio so you not only kill the Bolt's hotspot but prevents the car hooking up to your home WiFi for future over the air software updates.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a brain-dead feature by GM. I've called Onstar twice in my post-3 month trial period to turn it off [you can't do it from the app even tho it says you can]. They turn it off, but then it gets turned on again. Yes, you can get a phone to not connect, but it's spitting out a strong wifi signal on channel 6 that can get in the way of your smartphone's hotspot. Just yet another annoying Onstar thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joined my iPhone to my Bolt hotspot, but also decided against using the hotspot, so did the "forget this network" so now it doesn't flip to the Bolt hotspot. My husband has a Volt, with long expired data, and his hotspot still shows up and asks if we want to join, but doesn't automatically pair.
Of course! Genius. I of course have been racking my brain trying to get the car to behave, when all I had to do was tell my phone to ignore the car! Duh!!

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't you just change the password, and nobody can connect to it?
Good suggestion, but I fear if I just do that I will continue to get "Failed to connect" notifications on the phone and that would be annoying too. I think the phone forgetting the Bolt WiFi is better.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You can also turn off the hotspot from my.chevrolet.com. You can even set the password and change the SSID.

Reactions: steveskolnik

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, easy to do with turning off on the chevy app. Once Hotspot is disabled and you confirm your password, Hot Spot will turn off after the next time the Bolt is powered on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I discovered this issue the hard way, when I upgraded to iOS 12 and then tried to use Google Maps, only to encounter messages that I had no internet access. Eventually I figured it out and now everything works as it did before.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In the myChrevrolet app on my iPhone, there's a toggle for 'Hotspot Disabled'. I seem to recall turning it off a day or two before my trial ran out.

I can't find any such toggle in the iPhone app, but there is an option in the mychevy web site. It doesn't work tho. It says disabled, but the signal is still there the next day after a drive. I've called Onstar a few times over the last year to turn it off, but it doesn't stay off. No expectations, no disappointments I guess. 2017 Bolt with 14.5.0 infotainment software.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hmmm, I haven't tried in a while, but I did disable my hotspot via the mychevy site too. I also scrambled the wifi password so that no one could brute force it, also via the mychevy site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, easy to do with turning off on the chevy app. Once Hotspot is disabled and you confirm your password, Hot Spot will turn off after the next time the Bolt is powered on.
I think this is partially true. Like others on this thread, I could not get the app to disable the Wi-Fi hotspot, tried multiple times. So as suggested again on this thread I called on tar and had them disable it. Then when I powered the car on and off, yes the Wi-Fi signal was no longer visible.

But I believe all that was done was that the Wi-Fi signal no longer broadcast its name. This is similar to a setting on my home router where I can hide my home Wi-Fi signal although it's still there and I can connect to it by manually entering the name. I used an app called wifi analyzer, and sure enough when I turn on the car the Wi-Fi signal is still there. It just no longer is broadcasting its name. At least I think this to be the case, please correct me if you know otherwise.

Is it worth calling onstar to have them completely disable the Wi-Fi signal, or will they not know what I'm talking about? I did ask them when I first called into to have them turn it off, but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think this is partially true. Like others on this thread, I could not get the app to disable the Wi-Fi hotspot, tried multiple times. So as suggested again on this thread I called on tar and had them disable it. Then when I powered the car on and off, yes the Wi-Fi signal was no longer visible.

But I believe all that was done was that the Wi-Fi signal no longer broadcast its name. This is similar to a setting on my home router where I can hide my home Wi-Fi signal although it's still there and I can connect to it by manually entering the name. I used an app called wifi analyzer, and sure enough when I turn on the car the Wi-Fi signal is still there. It just no longer is broadcasting its name. At least I think this to be the case, please correct me if you know otherwise.
supposedly turns off the hot spot. which I did through my.chevrolet. but the radio signal is still there and connects to my house wifi. my phone works this way with its hotspot. hopefully you can't connect to the hotspot where only its name isn't being broadcast. would be easy to test I would think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing your experience. Why I Like forums is for this. When you initiate a discussion and people react and help you.I asked a question in another one, regarding my poor connection. No answers, that cellforum disappointed me. Although, I have found the solution, the router, the guys from Cisco provided a new one. Thanks them, they made good equipment. It was a motivation to start their courses. Now, I prepare for examination. Guys, who knows, it's really hard. Thanks to spotoclub.com that I have the questions prepared!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts