Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinetic Blue Metallic Premier was parked next to red Volt. We sat in one at the Texas State Fair, but it wasn't a Premier. We were hoping the seats would be a little better in leather. Still not the most comfortable due to just being pretty narrow.

No way are we considering the blue, but for those who like the color, we offer these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on the Black painted wheels and the roof rails, this is a Premier! It would also have two USB ports in the back row.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can see the discoloration on those seats already from getting in and out with jeans on. Not good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I think you are seeing shadows given the lighting at the car show and the generally poor camera on my phone. Of course I assume you don't mean the darker boarder part of the seat that is a different color, that is how the comes :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can see the discoloration on those seats already from getting in and out with jeans on. Not good.
For those who live in Texas and other hot weather states, those Light Ash/Ceramic White (yes, two-tone) seats will preferable to those with dark colors or black trim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Paul S.,

I've seen one or two reviews in addition to your statement above commenting that the seats are too narrow. How would you compare them to the Gen. 1 Volt? I have a 2013 Volt and while I find the seat itself wide enough the area around the knees is too cramped. I often find my right knee uncomfortably pressed up against the center console. From the photos I've seen it looks like I won't have the knee issue with the Bolt, but if the seats are narrower than the Volt that could be a problem for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silence,

The seats are going to be an issue for a lot of people I think. Question is, for an around town car, can you live with some discomfort? Understand we have had two Volts (2011 and now ending lease in March 2014). We also both had no issues piling our fat butts in the seats in our 2014 Smart ED for it's two year lease. They were thin cloth seats and there wasn't a lot of room as the doors were RIGHT THERE!! We also have 2012 Ford Focus EV that we got used this year and the seats are firm leather, but plenty wide. We are ok with the Volt on 100-150 mile each way trips, but have never taken one on many hundreds of miles. We would likely rent a good road cruising car/suv for that if we were to ever do that.

Love the seating position of the seats in the Bolt. They are less likely to put stress on the same areas of your legs as the Volt as they sit higher. But, there seems to be a pretty large gap between the door and the seat on the Bolt. They could have done another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Also, the center console is pretty wide and there is no gap between the seat and center console. So, if your a good size person, your butt will be touching the center console. Doesn't make it fun to put on seat belt. Now, certainly there are other cars with narrow seats, but the sides here are done with hard metal that you can feel with a little pressure on the seat. We were hoping (and it does make some difference) that the leather seats would be a little better than cloth in the Bolt. You press on the cloth seat and it gives you no resistance all the way to the metal. Having now sat in the Premier for the first time, they seems a little better, but still concerned. Also just like Gen 2 Volts, no Homelink, but that is what it is..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Silence,

The seats are going to be an issue for a lot of people I think. Question is, for an around town car, can you live with some discomfort? Understand we have had two Volts (2011 and now ending lease in March 2014). We also both had no issues piling our fat butts in the seats in our 2014 Smart ED for it's two year lease. They were thin cloth seats and there wasn't a lot of room as the doors were RIGHT THERE!! We also have 2012 Ford Focus EV that we got used this year and the seats are firm leather, but plenty wide. We are ok with the Volt on 100-150 mile each way trips, but have never taken one on many hundreds of miles. We would likely rent a good road cruising car/suv for that if we were to ever do that.

Love the seating position of the seats in the Bolt. They are less likely to put stress on the same areas of your legs as the Volt as they sit higher. But, there seems to be a pretty large gap between the door and the seat on the Bolt. They could have done another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Also, the center console is pretty wide and there is no gap between the seat and center console. So, if your a good size person, your butt will be touching the center console. Doesn't make it fun to put on seat belt. Now, certainly there are other cars with narrow seats, but the sides here are done with hard metal that you can feel with a little pressure on the seat. We were hoping (and it does make some difference) that the leather seats would be a little better than cloth in the Bolt. You press on the cloth seat and it gives you no resistance all the way to the metal. Having now sat in the Premier for the first time, they seems a little better, but still concerned. Also just like Gen 2 Volts, no Homelink, but that is what it is..
Thank you for the additional information and your perspective. Given the traffic in the DC area, my work commutes are 40 min. on the low end and up to 2 hours. Comfortable seats are a requirement. I didn't catch/experience the issue I'm having with the Volt in my short test drive. I loved the original Infiniti FX, but never got one due to a seat problem similar in effect to the one you described above. (I did break down and get a 2nd generation FX - the seats worked a bit better for me!) I don't think I'll be able to risk "importing" a Bolt from the coast. I'll have to wait until they get here so I can test drive one. I'm starting to look at the BMW i3 as a backup option as I think I'll only be able to put up with how cramped I feel in the Volt for until Spring at the latest. Even if I do get the Bolt I still see it as temporary until what I really want comes to market. I'd like a small to mid-sized AWD SUV. Something smaller and less expensive than a Model X. Tesla will eventually have the Model Y and I'd be shocked if no one else releases an reasonably priced electric SUV in the next two or three years.

FYI, one of the reviewers commenting on the narrow seats was a rather thin guy so it isn't only an issue for those of us with a few pounds to spare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the additional information and your perspective. Given the traffic in the DC area, my work commutes are 40 min. on the low end and up to 2 hours. Comfortable seats are a requirement. I didn't catch/experience the issue I'm having with the Volt in my short test drive. I loved the original Infiniti FX, but never got one due to a seat problem similar in effect to the one you described above. (I did break down and get a 2nd generation FX - the seats worked a bit better for me!) I don't think I'll be able to risk "importing" a Bolt from the coast. I'll have to wait until they get here so I can test drive one. I'm starting to look at the BMW i3 as a backup option as I think I'll only be able to put up with how cramped I feel in the Volt for until Spring at the latest. Even if I do get the Bolt I still see it as temporary until what I really want comes to market. I'd like a small to mid-sized AWD SUV. Something smaller and less expensive than a Model X. Tesla will eventually have the Model Y and I'd be shocked if no one else releases an reasonably priced electric SUV in the next two or three years.

FYI, one of the reviewers commenting on the narrow seats was a rather thin guy so it isn't only an issue for those of us with a few pounds to spare.
Fact.. they are narrower than many other cars with that same cargo/people volume. Sure body type will come into play. I am 6'2" 250lbs with long legs. I almost always need steering wheel to have tilt and telescoping or the car is out of the running. I BARELY made the Smart Fourtwo ED work with it's fixed steering. Also, as long as the car has 6 way on both front seats, I will at least try to make it work. The Bolt has this. I think it will work for most people who give it a chance, but I also think most will not want to take it on long trips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, if I had the kind of trip you have, I think I would want small/mid SUV as well. The X is a bit too large for one person to take to work. Something like an electric Ford Escape, Cad XT5, etc..
We know electric cars are coming and most likely SUVs. Things are changing quickly (all relative), so we will still be leasing if we can as we don't put more than 10-15k mile a year on cars.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yea, if I had the kind of trip you have, I think I would want small/mid SUV as well. The X is a bit too large for one person to take to work. Something like an electric Ford Escape, Cad XT5, etc..

We know electric cars are coming and most likely SUVs. Things are changing quickly (all relative), so we will still be leasing if we can as we don't put more than 10-15k mile a year on cars.
There was talk about a 2 door Bolt and I remember a while back Lexus unveiled a 2 door compact car concept for the city. Smart and Fiat are a small sample size of how that segment could take off. With the right offerings I think it can do well. Although i think it will be dominant as an autonomous EV with ride sharing the owner can enroll it into like what Tesla wants to offer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts