Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded in my 2020 Bolt Premier for a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate and felt like making a quick video of a feature I wish the Bolt had.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Wow, what feature is this called? Is this on all models?

Bolt's LKA is more like Lane Warning... response is too slow/late.

Reactions: Nebula

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
285 Posts
First off, stop calling it self-driving. It does nothing of the sort. It's a lane keeping assist function, that's all. Coupled with the Adaptive cruise it will slow down and speed up with traffic, but the Bolt does that as well.

Yes, Hyundai/Kia really improved their lane keeping assist function in 2020. My '19 Kia Niro had the older version, and it would wander between the lanes like a drunk, so not really conducive to letting it steer on its own.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, what feature is this called? Is this on all models?

Bolt's LKA is more like Lane Warning... response is too slow/late.
Agreed. It’s called ALKA. ( Active Lane Keeping Assist) or just ALK.
I think it’s standard.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have LKA on a 2021 Kona EV SEL and I feel like it's poop. Bounces around the lane and yells at me to put my hands on the steering wheel when when I have my hands on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, stop calling it self-driving. It does nothing of the sort. It's a lane keeping assist function, that's all. Coupled with the Adaptive cruise it will slow down and speed up with traffic, but the Bolt does that as well.

Yes, Hyundai/Kia really improved their lane keeping assist function in 2020. My '19 Kia Niro had the older version, and it would wander between the lanes like a drunk, so not really conducive to letting it steer on its own.
Is it not driving itself? It’s not autopilot, but it’s pretty good. Also, I can use it on any road. It doesn’t have to be mapped like the EUV requirement.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have LKA on a 2021 Kona EV SEL and I feel like it's poop. Bounces around the lane and yells at me to put my hands on the steering wheel when when I have my hands on the steering wheel.
Haha. Really? I thought it was standard. Good to know. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
First off, stop calling it self-driving. It does nothing of the sort..
I looked through the comments and I don't think anyone called it self-driving. I called it Lane Keeping Assist which is what it is. On my 2020 Ionic SEL, it works rather well.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what would all the features of Comma ai be without the pedal? Is it plug and play? If not how difficult to get it going?
From what I read, because I was going to go the route before I trade my bolt in, it’s not to hard. It’s definitely not plug and play, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked through the comments and I don't think anyone called it self-driving. I called it Lane Keeping Assist which is what it is. On my 2020 Ionic SEL, it works rather well.
Did you read the title of the thread or the name of the video linked in the first post?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
285 Posts
Is it not driving itself? It’s not autopilot, but it’s pretty good. Also, I can use it on any road. It doesn’t have to be mapped like the EUV requirement.
No, that's not self-driving. Yes, it's keeping itself within the visible lane markings. If those markings are hard to see or missing, LKA will not work. Self-driving would be the ability to change lanes if there's an obstruction, stop at traffic lights and stop signs, maneuver around bicyclists, not run over pedestrians, stuff like that. The Hyundai/Kia lane keeping assist function does quite well for what it does, but it's nowhere close to being self-driving.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
285 Posts
It's right there in the thread title, and the video the OP posted. Yes, Hyundai/Kia really improved the LKA function starting in 2020. Your Ioniq has the same functionality that Kia has in the Niro.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Ev Premier
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, that's not self-driving.
I understand what you’re saying, mate. It may be difficult through text How I’m actually coming across. I’m saying it is literally driving itself in these conditions. What you’re talking about is “Full Self-Driving”. I know there is a huge difference. When a Tesla owner doesn’t have the 10k FSD just autopilot and they activate it do you hear anyone disputing its driving itself? No. Because the car is driving itself. We just know it’s not the FSD version.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts