Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nothing to do with the car exploding, but I was travelling behind a white Kona EV on the highway yesterday. It looked like a Kona... Would have missed it if I didn't see the word electric or noticed there was no exhaust.
Likewise here in southeastern Massachusetts about two weeks ago . I was briefly behind a red one and noticed the electric badge on the rear. Nicer looking than I expected, at least from the back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Likewise here in southeastern Massachusetts about two weeks ago . I was briefly behind a red one and noticed the electric badge on the rear. Nicer looking than I expected, at least from the back.
Hmm, I am looking to find one to test drive and trade in the Bolt ;) nice to know they may be here in MA !

·
Registered
650 Posts
Managed to find an update on this. You can draw your own conclusion but to me, the result of the investigation seems to point to spontaneous explosion of the Kona EV batteries:

Mike
Yikes. Article also mentions that all the Kona fires investigated were made by LG Chem. But, as pointed out earlier in the thread, chemistries used for the Kona appear to be different than those found in our Bolts, despite coming from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yikes. Article also mentions that all the Kona fires investigated were made by LG Chem. But, as pointed out earlier in the thread, chemistries used for the Kona appear to be different than those found in our Bolts, despite coming from the same manufacturer.
Yeah, the Kona batteries are lithium polymer and it's the polymer part that always bothered me: I've not had good luck with lithium polymer batteries. But it could also be the BMS or even a mechanical failure in the pack. Whatever it is, it sounds like they should be in high gear looking for the safety issue and potential recall.

Mike

41 - 50 of 50 Posts