Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kroger already has small projects involving chargers from Blink, Electrify America, EVgo, Tesla, and Volta. They've announced an expansion of their partnership with Volta, adding free Level 2 and paid DCFC chargers in "Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohio; Louisville, Kentucky; Nashville; Michigan; and Southern California throughout 2022."

As a Michigander who shops at Kroger, I'm happy to hear this.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,629 Posts
The Kroger near me has 4 Volta L2 chargers in the parking lot. In all honesty, they are much more useful as an available parking space more than anything else since Volta goes out of their way to put their chargers in premium parking slots so that their screens are visible to customers coming in from the parking lot.

I'm really interested in their DCFC rollout. I think it has the possibility of being a game changer in terms of the utility of public charging. I hope they smarten up and make sure those units are not free. There is a value add to be able to fast charge while shopping and they should collect revenue for it.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2020 LT
97 Posts
Kroger already has small projects involving chargers from Blink, Electrify America, EVgo, Tesla, and Volta. They've announced an expansion of their partnership with Volta, adding free Level 2 and paid DCFC chargers in "Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohio; Louisville, Kentucky; Nashville; Michigan; and Southern California throughout 2022."

As a Michigander who shops at Kroger, I'm happy to hear this.
Glad to hear this too. Our Kroger fuel points aren't keeping up with rising gas prices! But, then again, haven't bought gas sine I got the Bolt 5 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
Here in the NW, the only Kroger brand store is Fred Meyer, which is a chain that began in Portland and expanded throughout the NW. They are more than just grocery, but more of a variety store that also sells grocery.

While I have at least a dozen stores within 20 minutes or so of my home, I only know of one with an EV charger, and it's a Chargepoint unit. It's far away from the store itself, next to their gas station in the parking lot. Not really convenient for shoppers, but it was fine for me when dropped my wife off at a doctor's appointment and I just sat in the car while it charged. Unfortunately, the Niro PHEV does not run the A/C when the car's plugged in, and it was close to 90F outside, so I still ended up walking the distance to go into the store.

I hope Kroger continues to deploy EV stations at more of their family of stores, and Volta is a great partner since they are usually free stations.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
275 Posts
No Krogers in my area - New York city/northern New Jersey.
But I've used lots of Level 2 Voltas in the area; Wholefoods, Paramus park mall, etc.

Getting a free DCFC in the newly installed unit by Aldi:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT
60 Posts
I was at a Stop & Shop in western Mass the other day, and they had two free Volta chargers. It was the first I’d seen them. I’d already parked when I noticed one of them, so I moved over. I can never resist the siren song of free charging.
Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Tire Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,878 Posts
The Kroger near me has 4 Volta L2 chargers in the parking lot. In all honesty, they are much more useful as an available parking space more than anything else since Volta goes out of their way to put their chargers in premium parking slots so that their screens are visible to customers coming in from the parking lot.

I'm really interested in their DCFC rollout. I think it has the possibility of being a game changer in terms of the utility of public charging. I hope they smarten up and make sure those units are not free. There is a value add to be able to fast charge while shopping and they should collect revenue for it.

ga2500ev
Ot better yet, pay/discount with Kroger reward points like they do with their gas station. They need to address the current inequity in NC. 😉

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Here in the NW, the only Kroger brand store is Fred Meyer, which is a chain that began in Portland and expanded throughout the NW. They are more than just grocery, but more of a variety store that also sells grocery.

While I have at least a dozen stores within 20 minutes or so of my home, I only know of one with an EV charger, and it's a Chargepoint unit. It's far away from the store itself, next to their gas station in the parking lot. Not really convenient for shoppers, but it was fine for me when dropped my wife off at a doctor's appointment and I just sat in the car while it charged. Unfortunately, the Niro PHEV does not run the A/C when the car's plugged in, and it was close to 90F outside, so I still ended up walking the distance to go into the store.

I hope Kroger continues to deploy EV stations at more of their family of stores, and Volta is a great partner since they are usually free stations.
FYI, the QFC chains are also part of Kroger: https://www.kroger.com/i/kroger-family-of-companies

I've been to quite a few QFC and Fred Meyers all up/down I-5 from Canadian border to Oregon and I rarely do I run across any with L2 or DCFC from any company let alone EA stations. I'm hoping this means more DCFC stations. The few I have gone to were excellent and recent year it's been EA stations getting installed.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,356 Posts
FYI, the QFC chains are also part of Kroger:
Yep, Fred Meyer bought QFC, then Kroger bought FM. When we lived in Edmonds QFC was our go to grocery store. Now in Auburn, Haggen is the equivalent. But FM is still our go to if we need more than groceries. Really hoping Volta starts appearing there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have had 2 Blink units at a Fry's that I go to. They were installed in 2016. Haven't worked since 2018.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Locally they have Volta chargers (L2 and DC) that are free for some amount of time. They are almost always either blocked or in use.
I'd prefer a pay based charger but take what you can get.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Have had 2 Blink units at a Fry's that I go to. They were installed in 2016. Haven't worked since 2018.
New EA's going in at the Fry's by me. Still going in. It's been months that the pedestals were installed but they are still not operational. Not that many would use a DCFC at a grocery store away from the freeway anyway. Weirdly, a Tesla owner is complaining on plugshare about it taking so long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts