Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving in L gear almost all the time. Any reason not to continue? I like the way it allows pedal driving.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have been driving in L gear almost all the time. Any reason not to continue? I like the way it allows pedal driving.
If you tell your wife "no brakes" at each stop then you might want to stop using L mode. I'll edit this post with the YouTube link of the guy irritating his wife.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The only disadvantage is that the regen is stronger than in D mode. It would be more efficient to use D mode when there is less traffic and you don't need to come to a stop. If you let your foot off of the accelerator you will slow down which is less efficient than coasting. I continuously tap between D and L during drives. If there isn't much traffic I am in D. If there is traffic or I need to stop I am in L mode.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only disadvantage is that the regen is stronger than in D mode. It would be more efficient to use D mode when there is less traffic and you don't need to come to a stop. If you let your foot off of the accelerator you will slow down which is less efficient than coasting. I continuously tap between D and L during drives. If there isn't much traffic I am in D. If there is traffic or I need to stop I am in L mode.
there's no reason to switch between L and D if you don't want to. just modulate your speed with the accelerator. there's no efficiency loss, you just slow down using regen until you get to the speed dictated by the pedal position.

i pretty much only drive in L, whether on the freeway or surface streets.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
"L" is also great if you have a relatively long, curvy downhill, even if there is NO traffic. When speed builds up, there is a natural tendency to "hit the brakes". Pulling the "regen" paddle too late into the curve still means you have to "press the pads". By putting the EV in "L" right off the bat, you are in "regen" mode the minute your foot comes off the "gas". It never lets your speed build up too much and keeps you in your lane more accurately. Having said that, I DO drive in "D" as well as "L". I am not a "one pedal" man.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
there's no reason to switch between L and D if you don't want to. just modulate your speed with the accelerator. there's no efficiency loss, you just slow down using regen until you get to the speed dictated by the pedal position.

i pretty much only drive in L, whether on the freeway or surface streets.

There is definitely efficiency loss with your statement. If you allow the car to slow down by friction alone it is more efficient than slowing down with regen braking. Regen can only recapture a certain percentage of the energy that is lost. I actually wish that D mode had no regen on it and allowed the car to coast more.

·
Registered
624 Posts
there's no efficiency difference between driving in L and D. they both regen, just at different levels. yes, if there was a pure coasting mode, you would get some slight increase in range, but i think it would be too small to worry about.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Don't want to give a physics lesson here, but there is an efficiency difference between slowing down using L and D. The quicker you stop (or accelerate) the more energy loss there will be. The most efficient way to slow down or accelerate is to do it as slow as possible. However, you will definitely get the bird from people behind you if you do that...

If you like L, go for it. I was just pointing out if you want to hypermile using D to slow down is more efficient than using L. However, I love to accelerate in the Bolt so I will pay more to do that with more kWh ;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Don't want to give a physics lesson here, but there is an efficiency difference between slowing down using L and D. The quicker you stop (or accelerate) the more energy loss there will be. The most efficient way to slow down or accelerate is to do it as slow as possible. However, you will definitely get the bird from people behind you if you do that...

If you like L, go for it. I was just pointing out if you want to hypermile using D to slow down is more efficient than using L.
No physics lesson there.
The statement is Absolutely Not True. Assuming the same rate of decel, there's no efficiency difference coming from the choice of D or L. It's those who don't get that "L" is not an ON/OFF switch, but can be modulated to a very fine degree, who make those assumptions that D is somehow more efficient.
there's no efficiency difference between driving in L and D. they both regen, just at different levels.
X10 - we'll be having this discussion forever, because some just don't want to believe using a thoughtfully modulated "L" is the natural mode for the Bolt. What worked for wannabe hypermilers in ICEs just isn't applicable with the Bolt.

jack vines

·
Registered
314 Posts
The dealer said: "Always drive in L". I do find it hard to get used to, mostly because on long downhills I hate seeing the yellow lightning bolt indicating that energy is being used. But L is so strong that I do have to depress the pedal on such downhills.

Note that I was told (not easy to check) that the brake lights come on when either: in L and not using the accelerator, or using the paddle on the wheel. Can anyone confirm that that is the behavior?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Note that I was told (not easy to check) that the brake lights come on when either: in L and not using the accelerator, or using the paddle on the wheel. Can anyone confirm that that is the behavior?
Confirmed by watching rearview mirror during a night drive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Keep it in "L" mode - the most relaxing driving ever..

The efficiency differences talked about above are debatable. The fact is "L" mode is a great driving mode. It makes for very comfortable driving. Down hill driving is perfect as the car can never run away with you. I really become perturbed if I accidentally put it in "D"mode. I keep thinking what the bejeebers is happening? Why isn't the car braking right? Why is regen not working so well....?

Keep it in "L" mode. Its just easier driving, no matter what the efficiency guys might say. I suspect one day there will be no "D" mode; once everybody forgets how we HAD to drive an ICE car. Incidentally, cruise control works really great with help from regen: much more constant speed than with an ICE. I am sure it annoys any following ICE guys, as they struggle to maintain speed up hill, and the car runs away with them downhill. ;-)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Soft as butter, sweet as sugar

The GM engineers designed "D" mode to make the car feel like an ICE car. Its a totally synthetic mode built into the electronics. Real driving is in "L" mode, with a beautiful balance between speeding up and slowing down. Soft as butter, sweet as sugar

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
No physics lesson there.
The statement is Absolutely Not True. Assuming the same rate of decel, there's no efficiency difference coming from the choice of D or L. It's those who don't get that "L" is not an ON/OFF switch, but can be modulated to a very fine degree, who make those assumptions that D is somehow more efficient.X10 - we'll be having this discussion forever, because some just don't want to believe using a thoughtfully modulated "L" is the natural mode for the Bolt. What worked for wannabe hypermilers in ICEs just isn't applicable with the Bolt.

jack vines

Even after almost 19,000 miles in the Bolt, there are some habits from ICE cars that I can't break. If I need to slow down a bit, my foot comes off the accelerator. If I take my foot off in D it will be more efficient than taking my foot off the accelerator in L mode. I agree with you, but for many drivers in an open road scenario D driving will be more efficient. Taking the foot off the accelerator is something that is reactionary and even with 5 years driving the Bolt I would still do that even if I perfected L mode.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Don't want to give a physics lesson here, but there is an efficiency difference between slowing down using L and D.
NO. THERE. ISN'T!!!! I keep seeing people repeating this myth, but it JUST ISN'T TRUE.

The quicker you stop (or accelerate) the more energy loss there will be.
I agree - but: just because you can slow down faster using regen in "L" mode doesn't mean you must slow down faster. You can decelerate as gently as you want in "L" mode simply by being sensible and gradual with your movements of the accelerator pedal. When I come to the same long, gradual and slow stops in "L" mode as I do in "D" mode, there is no difference in the efficiency.

If you're a "binary" driver who only knows how to fully press or fully release the pedals, then yes, if you use "L" mode then you might be less efficient. But you can't blame "L" mode for that, the fault lies in the way you're driving.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Even after almost 19,000 miles in the Bolt, there are some habits from ICE cars that I can't break. If I need to slow down a bit, my foot comes off the accelerator.
No one can argue that "L" doesn't work for you, but it's interesting my wife and I had the opposite experience. The first time we drove an EV we really liked regen braking and adjusted immediately. When we got the Bolt, we fell in love with one-pedal driving and both my wife and I use "L" exclusively. When we get back in an ICE, we think, "How inconvenient to have to move the right foot back and forth from brake to accelerator; that's just so last century."

jack vines

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm confused. Why would driving in L mode be LESS efficient? Wouldn't more regen and thus more recaptured energy going back into the battery be more efficient? Coasting in neutral or in a light regen like in D seems like a wasted opportunity to reclaim more energy. Is there some counter intuitive physics or math going on that i don't understand making it less efficient to be in high regen all the time? Coasting in an ICE car makes sense because you are using less fuel to idle to engine than to have it in gear with a load on the engine or using throttle adding more fuel. Seems to me that the opposite would be true for a BEV that you would want to use heavy regen to "coast" to a regen heavy gradual stop as much as possible. Freewheeling in a BEV seems to me to gain nothing granted you aren't using an power freewheeling but you aren't regen-ing anything either.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'm confused. Why would driving in L mode be LESS efficient? Wouldn't more regen and thus more recaptured energy going back into the battery be more efficient?
It's wonderful that you can recapture all that kinetic energy back into the battery. The only downside is that once you've done that, you're stopped. To make the car useful, you have to get going again, and getting back to your previous speed will always require more energy than you gained by stopping.

Maximizing efficiency always means avoiding the need to stop or slow down whenever possible. The folks who say that "L" mode is inefficient are assuming that it causes you to stop or slow more than "D" mode would. But you can do just as much to maintain your speed in "L" mode as you can in "D" mode, and if you do so then you'll be driving just as efficiently.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The dealer said: "Always drive in L". I do find it hard to get used to, mostly because on long downhills I hate seeing the yellow lightning bolt indicating that energy is being used. But L is so strong that I do have to depress the pedal on such downhills.

Confirmed by watching rearview mirror during a night drive.
IMPORTANT: when fully stopped by either L or regen paddle, any brake lights that turned on due to deceleration will turn off. Sure it's the responsibility of the car behind you to detect if you're stopped, but then, brake lights exist (and help a lot to tell those behind you that you're stopping/stopped). When in doubt, always press the brake pedal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts