Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm intrigued by how the Bolt automatically sets the parking brake when coming to stop while rolling downhill in L mode. I've had inconsistent results and I'm curious if anyone has figured out how the logic works.

Tonight I was impressed that when I was on a slight downhill (5-10 degree) the car was creeping between 0-1 mph and after a few seconds it engaged the parking brake. I did not put the car in park. Light turned green, hit the accelerator and I like the car is smart enough to disengage the parking brake. I tried to reproduce this while using the stopwatch on the dash (fun find) but couldn't reproduce it. I even stopped to zero using the brake on a 20 degree downhill grade and let the car creep in L between 0-2 mph for 15 seconds but the parking brake didn't engage.

Just wondering if anyone else has observed this or figured out the logic. I may just have to go back to that same spot where it engaged and try to reproduce this while taking more notes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have experienced this too. I have never been able to reproduce it. I have tried stopping at the same places where it has happened and I haven't been able to get it too repeat. I think it might be like lightning and never strikes twice in one place.

Ed

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe be a good idea to and record it too while you're trying to reproduce it. So the tech guys at the Chevy dealership can see it in action.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From pg 209 of the manual:

If the vehicle cannot maintain the grade while using One-Pedal Driving, the Electric Parking Brake(EPB) may apply to hold the vehicle stationary. To drive again, press the accelerator pedal, and the EPB will automatically disengage.
There is probably some kind of threshold where the car continues to roll when your are not pushing on the throttle in L. I assume that if the car detects even a little pressure on the throttle, it will not engage the parking brake automatically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts