Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on day 4 with the new Bolt and am loving it. I have a 60mi 1-1.5 hour commute and L mode is a godsend.

I just started experimenting with the steering wheel paddle and noticed it stops the car quicker than lifting off the accelerator pedal. So much that I use it instead of the brake pedal when lifting in L mode isn't going to cut it. I have been covering the break pedal just in case while I'm learning.

I expected the L-mode max braking to be the same as the paddle but it's not the case. In hindsight, it's a nice feature since I rarely have to use the paddle and very rarely use the brake pedal. Just curious is this normal and how people typically use the two.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
618 Posts
Yup. I use L-Mode almost exclusively, and allow it to bring the car to a stop. But, if I need to stop quicker, the paddle is generally enough to get the job done. Lastly, the brake pedal.

Your commute sounds a lot like mine, Bolt adds some enjoyment into the routine.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I'm on day 4 with the new Bolt and am loving it. I have a 60mi 1-1.5 hour commute and L mode is a godsend.

I just started experimenting with the steering wheel paddle and noticed it stops the car quicker than lifting off the accelerator pedal. So much that I use it instead of the brake pedal when lifting in L mode isn't going to cut it. I have been covering the break pedal just in case while I'm learning.

I expected the L-mode max braking to be the same as the paddle but it's not the case. In hindsight, it's a nice feature since I rarely have to use the paddle and very rarely use the brake pedal. Just curious is this normal and how people typically use the two.
Yes, the Regen on Demand (RoD) paddle provides additional regenerative braking power over L. The max regeneration I've seen with L is 60 kW. The max regeneration with the (RoD) is 70 kW.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Interesting. So I just hold the paddle to do that?
Just holding the RoD paddle back will produce 70 kW of regenerative braking force, yes.

One thing I should add is that I believe the full 70 kW is also available through the brake pedal itself; however, I need to validate that, and it's something that would be very difficult to do in real-world driving. If you're looking for max regenerative braking, it's best just to use the paddle.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not sure if it's covered in the above videos but while you are holding the regen-on-demand paddle, you can still modulate how much braking/regen you are getting by using the accelerator. Some people who review the car complain that the on-demand paddle is just a single step and if you don't hold it at the right moment, you might have to release/hold/relead/hold to get the right amount of braking. You don't have to do that. If L is not enough and the paddle is too much, just hold the paddle and press slightly on the accelerator while still holding the paddle to get just the right amount.

Mike

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
One thing I should add is that I believe the full 70 kW is also available through the brake pedal itself; however, I need to validate that, and it's something that would be very difficult to do in real-world driving.
Shouldn't be that hard to test - get on the freeway in the wee hours of the morning when there's not much traffic, put the car into "D" mode, head down a steep hill at high speed and push down on the brake pedal more and more while watching the power meter to see how much gets put back into the battery.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"Using the brakes, the Bolt will stop from 60 mph in 128 feet. Using only Low mode, it stops from 60 mph in 665 feet. Using both Low mode and the regen on-demand paddle, it stops from 60 mph in 528 feet."

those figures seem awfully high to me. 528 feet using the paddle @ 60mph? i call BS (not on you, but on their test). That’s more than a football field and a half! Were they going down a mountain?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
those figures seem awfully high to me. 528 feet using the paddle @ 60mph? i call BS (not on you, but on their test). That’s more than a football field and a half! Were they going down a mountain?
I dunno, it seems about right to me. At 60mph you cover a lot of distance in that very first second, and regen, even with the paddle, is nowhere near what the hydraulic brakes are capable of.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard to test - get on the freeway in the wee hours of the morning when there's not much traffic, put the car into "D" mode, head down a steep hill at high speed and push down on the brake pedal more and more while watching the power meter to see how much gets put back into the battery.
It's more about just taking the time to set up the cameras. I'd rather have film to review, so I can both watch the road and not miss anything on display. I believe I've seen 65 kW in D using only the brake pedal, which match the max RoD in D, but I can't verify that the full 70 kW is available at all times through the brake pedal.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Regen will get you 0.3g. The hydraulic brakes will get close to 1g.

"According the service manual, the system can recover “almost all the energy lost in typical braking operations by ensuring deceleration rates of up to 0.3g [30 percent of the accelerating force of earth’s gravity] are achieved using the electric motor alone.”

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
618 Posts

"According the service manual, the system can recover “almost all the energy lost in typical braking operations by ensuring deceleration rates of up to 0.3g [30 percent of the accelerating force of earth’s gravity] are achieved using the electric motor alone.”

So, L-Mode at .3g will take 70% more distance to come to a complete stop than hydraulic brakes. He doesn't go into the RoD, but I presume that to be closer to .5 or .6g?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
It's more about just taking the time to set up the cameras. I'd rather have film to review, so I can both watch the road and not miss anything on display. I believe I've seen 65 kW in D using only the brake pedal, which match the max RoD in D, but I can't verify that the full 70 kW is available at all times through the brake pedal.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of getting that fancy, just going out and looking. In practical terms I think there's very little difference between 65 and 70kW in "D" mode, most people would rarely use that much deceleration outside a track run.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It says up to 0.3g. I assume that is the maximum.

I stand corrected. I had to test it in my amateurish way.
It took about 1/10th of a mile to stop in uncontrolled parameters. So i defer to their accuracy.
I’m wrong again ☹

1 - 20 of 26 Posts