Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when driving in L mode - regardless of the battery level, I charged to 88% in hill top, but even at lower battery levels - the car keeps creeping slowly and doesn't come to a complete stop - as it should.

i'm trying to narrow it down when it happens but so far it happens - sometimes

- at all battery levels
- on level ground and slopes
- when shifting into L while driving
- when shifting into L while being at a complete stop

anyone else with similar issues?

I will take it to a dealer soon as I'm due for a 10k tire rotation and my "driver door switch" warning keeps coming on and the service light keeps coming on too ...

thanks for your input

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find that when first getting underway, the L mode effect takes a few miles to get "normalized" and engage fully. After that, I can rely on it being responsive and bringing the car to a complete stop, if need be, on a fairly level roadway.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Check and or think about temperature. I think I recall reading that the regenerative braking might not be available if the battery pack is too hot.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Check and or think about temperature. I think I recall reading that the regenerative braking might not be available if the battery pack is too hot.
Yes - too hot, too full, or any other condition (too cold, for example?) in which the battery cannot accept the rate of charge demanded by the degree of regenerative braking that you're calling upon.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's an odd seat belt feature to have in the Bolt. Most cars just sticks with the annoying beeping sound when the seat belt isn't fastened. I'm guessing they don't want you to jerk into the dashboard when the Bolt comes to a complete stop.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lol, I was just shooting in the dark to come up with a reason for why L-mode didn't bring the Bolt to a complete stop. Personally think it's pretty dangerous if someone was expecting it to stop in traffic but didn't.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lol, I was just shooting in the dark to come up with a reason for why L-mode didn't bring the Bolt to a complete stop. Personally think it's pretty dangerous if someone was expecting it to stop in traffic but didn't.
I agree, it's dangerous. I suspect the lawyers' intent was to annoy drivers into keeping their seat belts fastened at all times. So in trying to make the car safer, they succeeded in making it less safe.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I agree, it's dangerous. I suspect the lawyers' intent was to annoy drivers into keeping their seat belts fastened at all times. So in trying to make the car safer, they succeeded in making it less safe.
How is it less safe? The car stops just fine with the hydraulic brakes. They always work.

·
Registered
368 Posts
How is it less safe? The car stops just fine with the hydraulic brakes. They always work.
See Bazinga's explanation above. If you're accustomed to the vehicle stopping, but occasionally it doesn't, that's potentially dangerous. You could use the hydraulic brakes, but you have come to expect you don't need to.

For example, a mother driving two or three little kids to school in the morning could easily be distracted - late for school, kids fighting or crying, whatever. She skips her own seatbelt to get going quickly, stops in L mode at a red light, turns around to wrangle the kids in the back seat, while her car creeps at 2 mph into a busy intersection - it's slow enough that you don't notice if you're not looking outside the car but fast enough that you can move into a very bad spot in just a few seconds. Bus comes along, and three people are dead. All because some idiot GM lawyer thought it was a good idea to vary the car's propulsion based on whether the driver's belt is fastened or not, contrary to a century of automotive manufacturing and experience.

But hey, I'm not bitter or anything...

·
Registered
179 Posts
See Bazinga's explanation above. If you're accustomed to the vehicle stopping, but occasionally it doesn't, that's potentially dangerous. You could use the hydraulic brakes, but you have come to expect you don't need to.

For example, a mother driving two or three little kids to school in the morning could easily be distracted - late for school, kids fighting or crying, whatever. She skips her own seatbelt to get going quickly, stops in L mode at a red light, turns around to wrangle the kids in the back seat, while her car creeps at 2 mph into a busy intersection - it's slow enough that you don't notice if you're not looking outside the car but fast enough that you can move into a very bad spot in just a few seconds. Bus comes along, and three people are dead. All because some idiot GM lawyer thought it was a good idea to vary the car's propulsion based on whether the driver's belt is fastened or not, contrary to a century of automotive manufacturing and experience.

But hey, I'm not bitter or anything...
I disagree.
Seat belt is not on. The car will not stop, it will roll. Everyone knows it's still rolling cause I have to apply the brake. If it came to a stop driver may forget that the car is on and in gear and open the door and get out. Driver left 2 kids in the car to run into the house and get a coupon they forgot. One on the two kids wants to pretend to drive. Jumps in the drivers seat and hits the accelerator pedal and VAVOOOM away the car goes.
Any way the driver is responsible for making sure the car comes to a stop and or hits park and turns off the car. Any situation, it is still the drivers responsibility wheather they forgot or not or if they are thinking of other things or not.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I disagree.
Seat belt is not on. The car will not stop, it will roll. Everyone knows it's still rolling cause I have to apply the brake. If it came to a stop driver may forget that the car is on and in gear and open the door and get out. Driver left 2 kids in the car to run into the house and get a coupon they forgot. One on the two kids wants to pretend to drive. Jumps in the drivers seat and hits the accelerator pedal and VAVOOOM away the car goes.
Any way the driver is responsible for making sure the car comes to a stop and or hits park and turns off the car. Any situation, it is still the drivers responsibility wheather they forgot or not or if they are thinking of other things or not.
No, you're not getting it. I often use the brake in L mode to stop, particularly when a light turns red shortly in front of me. I expect the car to hold when I release the brake and turn around to deal with my kids or whatever, because 99% of the time that's exactly what it does (I always use L, never D). But if I've failed to fasten my seatbelt, the car does something different. I know of no other car (perhaps there are others, I don't know of them) that changes its propulsion behavior based on whether my seat belt is fastened, and doing something unexpected is potentially dangerous.

If the driver exits the car for a coupon, the Bolt automatically applies the parking brake when the door opens (this feature is non-stupid, though it can be a slight problem in some situations, such as having the car towed). So, your coupon scenario never happens in the Bolt.

Driver responsibility is irrelevant. Sure drivers are responsible for safely operating a vehicle. The question is whether GM's stupid design choice here makes the car safer or more dangerous in the hands of imperfect drivers (and all of us are imperfect, and subject to distraction). The answer is GM made it more dangerous.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I do get it.
It makes sense to me.
I don't have to agree with it.
How many cars have the "L" setting?? Oh yeah only the Volt! So the car IS DIFFERENT than all other cars save one. ( and the Volt does not come to a complete stop)
If the brake doesn't automatically get applied when the door is opened? Yes drivers need to accept responsibility for driving until driversless cars are perfected.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had my Volt in L before and (I don't know why but...) it behaved like it was in drive. I've had that happen maybe 3 times. (believe me, I checked that the selector was in L (went in and out a few times to make sure- ended up resetting it by turning off the car and opening my door to shut down the electronics) It was a bit 'scary' or maybe 'unexpected' is the better word, but I wouldn't say that I felt like it almost caused an accident. Still had a working brake pedal! I think predictability is important in vehicles.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes I do get it.
It makes sense to me.
How many cars have the "L" setting?? Oh yeah only the Volt! So the car IS DIFFERENT than all other cars save one. ( and the Volt does not come to a complete stop)
If the brake doesn't automatically get applied when the door is opened? Yes drivers need to accept responsibility for driving until driversless cars are perfected.
Sure you can disagree. But unless you provide a sensible reason or explanation, your disagreement is worthless. You can talk all you want about how drivers are responsible for driving, but that's worthless too because everybody already knows that. Who do you think you are you preaching to on that?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I do get it.
It makes sense to me.
Sure you can disagree. But unless you provide a sensible reason or explanation, your disagreement is worthless. You can talk all you want about how drivers are responsible for driving, but that's worthless too because everybody already knows that. Who do you think you are you preaching to on that?
You. Go re-read your own post. Your example is blaming the car. You need to have a better or sensible reason why it's bad. Again I disagree.
And I did give you a perfectly good example. You didn't like it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You. Go re-read your own post. Your example is blaming the car. You need to have a better or sensible reason why it's bad. Again I disagree.
And I did give you a perfectly good example. You didn't like it.
No, your example was perfectly bad. It shows your lack of understanding of how the Bolt works. Only in your fevered imagination does the "kid" in your example step on the accelerator and drive the car away - in real life, the Bolt automatically shifts into P and applies the parking brake, making this impossible, as I so patiently explained above.

You are being both incoherent and belligerent. I suggest you try to limit yourself to one of the two.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts