Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Love my 4 day old Bolt
When is the best time to use the L position on the shift
All the time is the best time if you want to try one pedal driving. Only time it was awkward was when disengaging the cruise control. Since learned to press the accelerator prior to turning off the cruise control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use "L" gear around town and use the paddle-braking on the steering wheel on the interstate in "D" gear.
The paddle-braking, like the brake-pedal, will disengage cruise-control when used.

I suspect as I get more used to "L" driving, I'll use it on the interstate too. I've only had my 2019 for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you don't mind learning, try using L mode at all times for a few weeks. Should you feel that L mode is too jarring even after that period, you can always fall back to D mode.

Me and my wife uses the L mode at all times except when parking since it feels like a single pedal has the full control of the car. The reason we use D as we park is because R is basically D in reverse - the car does not come to a full stop when you lift the foot off the pedal. Consistent forward-reverse behaviour is preferred in order to avoid confusion and potential accidents while parking.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use L whenever there is no snow on the ground. I do not use it during the winter (which is about 5 months of the year here). Braking with 4 wheels is much safer than braking with 2, especially when the roads are slippery.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Agree, L is the go-to mode. In a conversation with a GM engineer, "We only used D as the default mode to make that first test drive in a Bolt feel as much as possible like our other cars. We found most owners will learn to use L, as that's the natural way to drive a BEV."
I use L whenever there is no snow on the ground. I do not use it during the winter (which is about 5 months of the year here). Braking with 4 wheels is much safer than braking with 2, especially when the roads are slippery.
Point of clarification, D regeneratively brakes the front wheels when the pedal is lifted; just much less so than L. To disengage all regenerative front wheel braking would require shifting to N.

jack vines

·
Registered
226 Posts
Agree, L is the go-to mode. In a conversation with a GM engineer, "We only used D as the default mode to make that first test drive in a Bolt feel as much as possible like our other cars. We found most owners will learn to use L, as that's the natural way to drive a BEV."
Point of clarification, D regeneratively brakes the front wheels when the pedal is lifted; just much less so than L. To disengage all regenerative front wheel braking would require shifting to N.

jack vines
Yes, this is true. I knew that, but thanks for clarifying to other readers. The point is the "much less so". It makes a huge difference in the snow. L will cause the front wheels to lock up, and the car to "snow plow" through turns. D will typically not break free in all but the worst of conditions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I leave it on L alll the time. The fact that when you lift your foot the car slows down significantly is great for emergency braking, as I found out. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
p7wang
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing