Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My L2 charging handle has gotten progressively harder to insert and remove. Are there any points that I should lubricate? Silicon spray?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In that case, home charging inside your garage sounds the best thing to do.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have been spraying the plastic "collar" of the socket with WD-40, that made insertion and remove far easier on both the 2017 and the 2020.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The plug's outer plastic housing is a pretty close fit to the plastic socket surround. Some are closer than others. Some plugs also have a matt finish which sticks more than the smooth ones. I have used paraffin /wax bicycle chain lube on the plastic of the handle on our J1772 plug from time to time..

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The other thing to notice is that the handle is well below the plug. When you pull on the handle you will be pulling up on the plug as much as out. This causes it to bind. I make a habit of grasping the plug up by the release button. This allows me to pull the plug straight out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Duosida "portable" L2 16 amp charger I used to charge my 2017 Bolt and now my 2020 Bolt. The charge head was always tight to engage and difficult to take out. I could see that it was not tight around the perimeter housing so I thought the 3 larger "female" connector holes in the charger might be a little tight on the matching male connectors in the car plug. I tapped a center punch into those three larger connector holes on the plug head - to spread them out just a touch. That made a world of difference. It's no longer tight but just snug - easy to plug in and take out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, thanks for those hints. I have a Duosida also and have always struggled with the tight fit on the Bolt, C-Max and 500e. The center punch worked to make it a little looser but when I sprayed the dry lube, it made a much bigger difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts