Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s my situation ... I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf that has been charging (at my house) on an older Blink evse for 5+ years. I believe the original owner also used this evse so it’s likely going on 8+ years of usage. Recently the on-board battery charger in the Leaf died. It’s an 8 year old EV on it’s third traction battery so I figured I got great usage out of it and it’s time had come.

I had been watching and waiting for the Bolt EV to start coming off lease and I decided to replace my Leaf with a 2017 Bolt with approx 34K miles - still under warranty thankfully.

I was using the same Blink evse to charge the Bolt and for the first few days everything was grand, charging at 30A, yippie skippy. But then the Bolt started complaining about the battery charging system. And then it was in battery saver mode. And then it was conditions aren’t right to shift. And finally it was towed to the dealer and is now awaiting a module replacement - what I believe is the converter that sends juice from the traction battery to the 12V battery.

The question for this long winded setup is ... could it be that my L2 evse is killing these cars?! How would one detect that issue? I have tried to search the interwebs for a clue if this has occurred but the proper search terms escape me.

Thanks for reading and for your help!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here’s my situation ... I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf that has been charging (at my house) on an older Blink evse for 5+ years. I believe the original owner also used this evse so it’s likely going on 8+ years of usage. Recently the on-board battery charger in the Leaf died. It’s an 8 year old EV on it’s third traction battery so I figured I got great usage out of it and it’s time had come.

I had been watching and waiting for the Bolt EV to start coming off lease and I decided to replace my Leaf with a 2017 Bolt with approx 34K miles - still under warranty thankfully.

I was using the same Blink evse to charge the Bolt and for the first few days everything was grand, charging at 30A, yippie skippy. But then the Bolt started complaining about the battery charging system. And then it was in battery saver mode. And then it was conditions aren’t right to shift. And finally it was towed to the dealer and is now awaiting a module replacement - what I believe is the converter that sends juice from the traction battery to the 12V battery.

The question for this long winded setup is ... could it be that my L2 evse is killing these cars?! How would one detect that issue? I have tried to search the interwebs for a clue if this has occurred but the proper search terms escape me.

Thanks for reading and for your help!
At a best guess, no.

The first reading and your mention of the battery saver mode seems to say that the problem is with the 12V battery and charger, not the high voltage battery. It sound like your dealer is changing out the Accessory Power Module, a module that converts HV to 13.6V(or so) to charge the 12V.

Some items for you to improve diagnostics:

• What was your Blink charger doing? The early models had a touch screen that would show kWh delivered and would alarm in red. (It sounds like it was working for the first few tries, but it would be good to confirm.)
  • What was the state of charge (left side of the instrument display)? If you had energy in the HV battery and you received 'Conditions not suitable for shift', it is more likely your 12V system.
And some topology of the electric traction system.

EVSE (120-240V AC) -->OBCM (On Board Charger Module) (AC-DC converter, 240VAC-->350VDC) -->

HV Battery-->SPIM (Single Power Inverter Module) (Changes 350VDC to three phase AC to drive the motor)
HVBattery-->APM (Accessory Power Module) (Converts 350VDC to 13V DC to charge 12V battery)

The EVSE is just a safety switch with a pretty screen. For the EVSE to harm the 12V battery means it would have to wreak havoc on nearly every system in the vehicle. Your dealer would be replacing your car, not the APM.

A final picture:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful reply. I appreciate the excellent folks on these forums and your willingness to share knowledge. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
glecko
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing