Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using a L2 charger on my Bolt to charge to 80%. Usually I just use the L1 on 12 A, and that is sufficient as using the L2 requires some moving stuff around. When I checked the car the charge light was solid green which I expected as the full charge was supposed to be completed an hour earlier, but I noticed that there was a fan running fairly hard, and there was a lot of heat being exhausted on the Driver side front fender. I don't have this at all on the L1 charger is this normal? is there possibly a problem with the EVSE? It is a 16 A charger plugged into a dryer outlet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No, that sound is normal. I think battery thermal management is more "active" when plugged in on 240V, and it has run pretty hard lately (a bit of a heat wave in the Toronto area). I've heard how loud it gets, and how much heat it sheds, when DC fast charging on a really hot day, so hearing the noise wasn't surprising, considering the conditions. It's just the battery thermal management system at work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Others on here will have more info, but I'm pretty sure that the car likes to cool the battery down once charging has completed (if the battery temp was above some threshold). This is completely normal.

I'm not sure if it does the same thing when using 120 V, but with more juice from the 240 V EVSE, it definitely performs the battery cooling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts