Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly, a dislikes!

Sometimes when I used one, got only 18kWh.
Make any calculations, it's pricey when compare to ICE.
Imagine a L3 some of them are 15$/h, at this speed for 30 minutes, got 9kW for 7.50$. Even electricity in New Hampshire is lower than that.

I hope that GM will improve this in someway. I know if the battery is too cold, the L3 won't give very fast charge.
An idea, why GM can't make an improvement and let the L3 heat up the battery and after that give full trought put?

And btw, I made a test the other day. I emptied the battery at -10F outside and reach the L3 almost by pushing the car to it but the charge doesn't start. The manual say the battery need to be conditionned on L2 first to allow fast charge. Without L2 close, I called CAA (equal to AAA) to get back home.

So, GM, please, make the Bolt be conditionned on L3... Anyway, L3 on Bolt during winter need to be improve, as long as the cost for L3 is per hour instead kw delivered...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Interesting observations.

At what temperature does the Bolt battery require L2 preheating before allowing it to be driven or charged? Strange that L3 did not charge given that you drove the vehicle to the charger. Shouldn't this have kept the battery warm enough? Bravo for testing this for us and reporting back.

As I understand it, the battery heater runs off of the 12v system. It would seem that the 12v system is not charged when connected to L3. Does this mean L3 is directly connected to the battery, with no contactors completing the connection?

When L2 is connected and the traction battery is charging, the 12v system physically connects the traction battery to the charging system and 12v converter circuits via contactors (electrically operated switch). This would allow the battery heater to run off of 12v while the energy is replenished via 12v converter.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I trickle-charge my 12v once a month, overnight. Last month, I drove a 170 mile (one-way) trip, starting with a 180 mile range. I had not trickle-charged for 29 days. I drove ~ 60 mph. The temp was 26F. When I arrived, with 20 miles showing, I plugged in immediately, while still warm, to free DCFC. It charged well and was full (185 miles) in 2.5 hours. I received a text message when I was full. I don’t know if it was the station (ChargePoint, started with a RFID card, registered to me) that sent it, or my MyChevrolet app. I returned to the car, a 20 minute walk. There was no indication that battery conditioning had occurred. I drove the return route with no charge stop, in 20F weather. I guess it just charged very slowly.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I trickle-charge my 12v once a month, overnight. Last month, I drove a 170 mile (one-way) trip, starting with a 180 mile range. I had not trickle-charged for 29 days. I drove ~ 60 mph. The temp was 26F. When I arrived, with 20 miles showing, I plugged in immediately, while still warm, to free DCFC. It charged well and was full (185 miles) in 2.5 hours. I received a text message when I was full. I don’t know if it was the station (ChargePoint, started with a RFID card, registered to me) that sent it, or my MyChevrolet app. I returned to the car, a 20 minute walk. There was no indication that battery conditioning had occurred. I drove the return route with no charge stop, in 20F weather. I guess it just charged very slowly.
As I understand, the 12v battery is trickle charged any time the vehicle is "on", or undergoing L2 charging. I would think an overnight trickle charge would not be necessary or much help.

It seems the car can at least go down to 20 F and drive away without requiring L2 battery conditioning. I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but do we know what the lowest temperature the battery can be and still not require L2 conditioning?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting story. We share on thing, cranky wifes!!!

It seems that it's a problem fast charge on Bolt during cold weather. And remember that 30kw comes from the L3 at 15$/hour it equal to 0.50$ per kw so it's pricey. If you runs your Bolt around 10F outside (that I'm used to this winter) your range will be around 120miles so roughly your 30kw will equal to 60miles. 15$ for 60 miles is like a car running at 25mpg if the gaz is at 2.50$/g cost 6$ to drive 60miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting observations, but I have not encountered the issue with the need for L2 conditioning. I drive for Uber and found myself after dropping off a rider with 20km left and being 18km from the nearest fast charger. I managed to make it albeit with low battery flashing and no indication of remaining range.
I plugged in and it charged, albeit slowly at first. It was -20C, or -4F, at which point battery conditioning was definitely running (it kicks in at -16C in my experience). Perhaps because I left the car on to keep the heat going. I do that as it does not slow down the charge. It just draws more power from the charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts