Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good article, until the very end. The Chevy Jolt is not a real car, it's fake. Were you trying to make a joke?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Lol thought the Jolt thing was kind of self explanatory but I guess not... but great write up! That was actually enjoyable to read (very rare on the inter-webs these days)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Great write up. If I hadn't read your comment here before going for the article I would have done a double take at the Jolt. But with the Chevy naming scheme, you could be spot on. :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'd go for an electric coupe and it'll be more aerodynamic than the Bolt so it should get a higher range. I'm more amazed that someone went through the trouble of designing that page.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Somebody seriously spent some time on that and it is pretty darn cool. Not really a fan of the styling though, but it is a conservative styling that'll enable it to be priced so low

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
There's actually a fan campaign to get Chevy to produce its car-show concept coupe, on the Bolt platform, and call it the Jolt. Check it: http://www.chevyjoltev.com
I'd go for an electric coupe and it'll be more aerodynamic than the Bolt so it should get a higher range. I'm more amazed that someone went through the trouble of designing that page.
Somebody seriously spent some time on that and it is pretty darn cool. Not really a fan of the styling though, but it is a conservative styling that'll enable it to be priced so low
I really love the effort! I 100% support the concept of coupe/convertible on the Bolt platform. That particular concept car I never really liked that much. Pandered way too much to the Civic tuner fans. The one I would like that they debuted at the same time was the Code 130R concept. It panders more towards the Camaro fans. :D It also lends itself easy to a convertible.

Code 130R Concept

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jolt

Wow, went to (fake) Jolt page. Great idea!

It brings to mind the Bolt vs. Tesla 3 debate. Higher, roomier, actually-available car (Bolt) vs low-slung, zoomy looking vehicle (hard to get into at my age).

Will be surprised if enterprising engineering students - our beloved STEM scholars of tomorrow - don't figure out how to modify the car code so that the Bolt 0-60 time goes from 6+ seconds down to ... 4 or something. Other than ruining tires and warranties it sounds like a grand project. So perhaps we could end up with easier cars to get into that also toast most everything else. Would do wonders for removing some of the stigma faced by EVs in some quarters. Kind of like encouraging the use of the Bolt the same way the Fort Model A was used to build a gazillion different versions.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Wow, went to (fake) Jolt page. Great idea!

It brings to mind the Bolt vs. Tesla 3 debate. Higher, roomier, actually-available car (Bolt) vs low-slung, zoomy looking vehicle (hard to get into at my age).

Will be surprised if enterprising engineering students - our beloved STEM scholars of tomorrow - don't figure out how to modify the car code so that the Bolt 0-60 time goes from 6+ seconds down to ... 4 or something. Other than ruining tires and warranties it sounds like a grand project. So perhaps we could end up with easier cars to get into that also toast most everything else. Would do wonders for removing some of the stigma faced by EVs in some quarters. Kind of like encouraging the use of the Bolt the same way the Fort Model A was used to build a gazillion different versions.

Just a thought.
Some obstacles in the quest for higher 0-60 times are the FWD and the open differential. Wider, stickier tires will go a long ways though and people could likely make a different gear set to lower the gear ratio something closer to Tesla's 9:1.

I have thought about how to use the Bolt's components to make a hot rod. Basically I would use the battery pack, motor transaxle and controller and flip them around backwards to make it RWD with the motor behind you. The hump in the battery pack that now resides under the rear seats, would be in front of your feet. You would then add a front steering/suspension, make the rear transaxle IRS, build a frame and body to bring it together.

If it where my project, I would use Edsel Ford's Model 40 Speedster for inspiration. I have always loved this car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Love the roadster from the side and back, but you're gonna hafta do something with that quirky front look, reminiscent of the Edsel somehow. For starters, we don't need no stinkin' radiators.

Love your idea of flipping the drive train/battery pack around.

The Roadster had an aluminum body on an aluminum frame. Build up the frame and body out of carbon fiber and you will have one hot hotrod.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd be worried about some insane acceleration, odds are in the process something could break and that's the last thing you want. Some drivetrain components will have to be upgraded. But a tune for the average person of course won't require any of that.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Love the roadster from the side and back, but you're gonna hafta do something with that quirky front look, reminiscent of the Edsel somehow. For starters, we don't need no stinkin' radiators.

Love your idea of flipping the drive train/battery pack around.

The Roadster had an aluminum body on an aluminum frame. Build up the frame and body out of carbon fiber and you will have one hot hotrod.
I would probably keep the lower grill for cooling the battery and HVAC intake, but close off the upper grill and make something decorative there. The whole forward area would be a frunk. I would likely keep the louvers just because they look cool. I am a huge fan of vintage things and all things retro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts