Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere Fast Charging Oasis Blue
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! New 2020 Bolt Premiere owner here! I bought my car in November and have already put 6000 miles on it. Something I have noticed with the center touch screen is that when I press the home button, sometimes it takes as long as 10 seconds for the screen to respond. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, was there a resolution? I don't feel like a 5-10 second delay when pressing a button is acceptable on a car like this.
Thanks!
I will attach a video if needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Welcome to the forum. Haven't experienced the long delay hitting home on my 2017. If I experience infotainment issues I do a reboot by pressing and holding the home and fast forward buttons for 10 seconds.
Wow! I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks for the tip! I will see if it helps! Would this issue be related to my USB ports randomly not turning on in the front?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My screen would randomly lock up on my 2017. After cleaning it (it looked clean) this stopped!
Maybe try cleaning it to see if it changes this delay.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Wow! I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks for the tip! I will see if it helps! Would this issue be related to my USB ports randomly not turning on in the front?
Don't know the cause and effect of the USB port. Is the port the issue or is the port a symptom? Sometimes it's a bad cable and not the car at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know the cause and effect of the USB port. Is the port the issue or is the port a symptom? Sometimes it's a bad cable and not the car at all.
The port is a symptom. Sometimes the front (and only the front) two ports won't work. Tried with several different devices and cables and none of them work. If I turn the car off and leave it off for about 10 minutes, then get back in and turn it on, the ports work and the lag is mostly gone.
I tried the reset and the times were greatly reduced so far. It's weird because the issue comes and goes. I tried filming it now but it works perfectly fine when I try to record lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My screen would randomly lock up on my 2017. After cleaning it (it looked clean) this stopped!
Maybe try cleaning it to see if it changes this delay.
That's a good idea, I haven't cleaned it since I got the car so I will try it!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
If I turn the car off and leave it off for about 10 minutes, then get back in and turn it on, the ports work and the lag is mostly gone.
Rebooting works better instead of shutting down the car and waiting. It's called the two finger salute for the Bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rebooting works better instead of shutting down the car and waiting. It's called the two finger salute for the Bolt.
Prior to you mentioning it I never knew about the reboot, so the system hasn't been rebooted manually since I bought the car. Will definitely try this when it happens again. Do you think the issue is hardware related or some software glitch?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Do you think the issue is hardware related or some software glitch?
Don't really know. I'd say both. It's pretty much like any other computer I've ever used. Better than the old mainframes back in the 1980's where you were lucky they ran four hours before an upset of some kind. I've learned to reboot about every device I own. That even includes my refrigerator that gets confused now an again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
reboot about every device
Hey, if it worked for the Space Shuttles it should work for the Bolt.

I have not had that same lag after hitting home in my 2020 but I do sometimes have a lag in start up of the infotainment. Car will be on for a few seconds before the center screen comes on or comes on slowly. I did not know about the 2FS but will give it a try.

I have always wondered in these cars why can't they make the underlying system based on a Raspberry Pi or other such off the shelf component and enable us to upgrade the core system over time to add more features or improve performance. Current Gen Raspberry Pi's retail for $50 - $100 and probably have way more power than what is in the Bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always wondered in these cars why can't they make the underlying system based on a Raspberry Pi or other such off the shelf component and enable us to upgrade the core system over time to add more features or improve performance. Current Gen Raspberry Pi's retail for $50 - $100 and probably have way more power than what is in the Bolt.
Honestly this would be an awesome idea! The system would probably also be a lot faster if we could add better hardware. Think of the customizability!
But yeah, rebooting seems to have fixed the issue for now but it will probably come back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there! New 2020 Bolt Premiere owner here! I bought my car in November and have already put 6000 miles on it. Something I have noticed with the center touch screen is that when I press the home button, sometimes it takes as long as 10 seconds for the screen to respond. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, was there a resolution? I don't feel like a 5-10 second delay when pressing a button is acceptable on a car like this.
Thanks!
I will attach a video if needed.
That's disappointing - you have a 2020 issue with these issues? I thought only early years had issues. I acquired a 2017 late August last year - love the car but the infotainment annoys me. Here's what I've learned:
  • It's always laggy when you first start the car. I don't try to adjust anything until after I've backed out of the driveway and driven a bit - otherwise I just get annoyed.
  • Oh yeah, if you want your heated seat on - click that first before you put it into reverse, otherwise, you need to shift out of reverse first since the camera is on
  • I can recreate an odd issue where I plug in my iPhone to the usb and CarPlay tries to engage - the rear view camera then stays on even when I'm driving forward. It eventually stops or I unplug the phone. I can't remember - it's actually kind of neat the first few times - unless your butt is cold
  • I can live with all the above by just waiting before doing anything with the infotainment until after I've driven awhile but now I get to the annoying part:
    • I cannot update my favorites - when I add new favorites, it resets the next time I start the car.
    • On very random occasions, it will change the source (i.e. I'm listienting to music on CarPlay and then it switches to FM or from bluetooth to FM) - I now wonder if I have a short in my steering wheel and me hitting some button or turning the wheel a certain way does this - doesn't happen very often but embarrassing if I'm in the middle of singing Bohemian Rhapsody, out loud, then it switches source.
I've tried the reboot once, I may try cleaning the screen and/or unplugging the 12v battery to see if that resolves it. Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
  • Oh yeah, if you want your heated seat on - click that first before you put it into reverse, otherwise, you need to shift out of reverse first since the camera is on
This is really annoying. I've put the car into reverse and tried to put the heated seat on only for the camera to adjust or whatever. Kind of a weird design and button placement.

On very random occasions, it will change the source (i.e. I'm listienting to music on CarPlay and then it switches to FM or from bluetooth to FM) - I now wonder if I have a short in my steering wheel and me hitting some button or turning the wheel a certain way does this - doesn't happen very often but embarrassing if I'm in the middle of singing Bohemian Rhapsody, out loud, then it switches source.
The changing source thing happens all the time for me. If I plug my phone in, then start the car, half the time it will go to my phone, while the other half it will put on some really loud radio station. The best solution I have found is to not unplug my phone until the drivers door is open and the car is off. Plug it in only after getting in then wait several seconds before turning the car on. Kind of weird how it won't just default to one specific source instead of automatically changing every time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow. I have a 17 and have never noticed any of these issues. I’ve had it reboot by itself twice in 3years, and some times need to reboot to get CP to work (seldom) but none of the above horrers. It boggles the mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow. I have a 17 and have never noticed any of these issues. I’ve had it reboot by itself twice in 3years, and some times need to reboot to get CP to work (seldom) but none of the above horrers. It boggles the mind.
The general consensus that I am getting is that there might be something wrong with my car. I'll mention it to the dealer when I take it in for its first service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had some lag but only 2 seconds or so. I've had one glitch where I think because I was using the infotainment system with the car off. Stepped out to gather my things to leave somewhere then got back into the car where the screen was just shutting off while I was just turning the car on, and the screen stayed black while driving. It only fixed itself, (without trying to stop and start again) by putting it in reverse, engaging the camera function, then it went back to working like nothing had happened. FYI

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
118 Posts
Do you still have the factory screen protector in place? My screen wasn't always responsive either, until I removed the screen protector. Now it's fine.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Do you still have the factory screen protector in place? My screen wasn't always responsive either, until I removed the screen protector. Now it's fine.
Maybe now after 3-1/2 years it's time I took mine off...

How's the screen underneath, is it scratch resistant? I have some light surface scratching on the screen protector and that's one of the reasons I've been leaving it on.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep! I have my screen protector still on the screen. And have no plan to remove it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts