Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the Bolt now for a little over a week. No audible warnings, and I certainly have never felt a tug on the steering wheel. Yes, the little light is on on the steering wheel. All I have is a yellow symbol on the instrument cluster, telling me the system is on.

I'll try it out again (but pay closer attention) tomorrow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong(?).

Rich
I have found that if you are applying any pressure at all to the wheel it doesn’t kick in. To feel it working in the tests I’ve done, I very lightly place my open palms on the wheel (so I can quickly grab it if things go sideways) then let the car wander natural to the edge of the lane. Then it noticeably nudges the car back into the lane.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Porkrind, should there be an audible indication of lane diversion?? I've never heard one.

Rich
I have only heard it when I drifted over the line without a turn signal. For example, when leaving room for a cyclist or pedestrian in the shoulder. But I have to first fight the LKA "nudges" which are trying to push me back into the person. All this despite the fact that they car recognizes there is a pedestrian present (the orange pedestrian light is lit on the dash).

The whole system is mediocre at best. Not something to rely on, although it might slightly benefit a distracted or sleepy driver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as I can tell the system is working as designed in my car. I have only had the car a month and only really attempted to use the system once this past weekend.
On the highway, if you are steering the car and cross the line then I do not think it is intended to give you are warning, it assumes your lane deviation is intentional. However as soon as my car approached the edge of the lane and I was NOT intentional steering it that way then, yes, it did give the wheel a nudge in the correct direction. I believe that there was also a beep.
Additionally, it did detect when I had taken both hands off the wheel for a few seconds and it told me to take control of the wheel :laugh:. It apparently could detect that there had been no movement of the steering wheel for some period of time even though the car was tracking straight at the time.

I believe that it is intended to be a subtle kind of assistance and not brute force stay in your lane kind of system.

In rereading the manual, I'm wondering if we have discovered a defect. There should be a warning sound.

The key phrase may be "The system will not assist or alert if it detects that you are actively steering."

Below is from the manual:

Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
If equipped, LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction. It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) alert as the lane marking is crossed. The system will not assist or alert if it detects that you are actively steering.

When on, is green if LKA is available to assist and provide LDW alerts. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel and display Aas amber if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction. It may also provide an LDW alert by flashingAamber as the lane marking is crossed. Additionally, there may be three beeps on the right or left, depending on the lane departure direction.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tried it again today, but payed close attention. The system seems to work as reported by others. If I barely hold the wheel, the car will self-correct for my meandering over the lines. It's very subtle, indeed, gentle.

The car has to be moving around 50 MPH or so, and I did hear one "chirp" during my experiment.

Wonderful car, not sure about the utility of this lane assistant feature.

Rich

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have LKA on all of the time. It allows me to gawk a little more when trvelling.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I turned this off after a week of ownership. With it on the steering feel is much heavier vs. having it off, and it never seemed to do anything but light up the led on the steering wheel and the dash. I wish I could turn off the blind spot warning lights as well. My passenger side one only lights up 30% of the time there is a car next to me (or when passing a semi) and I've can count on one hand the number of times the driver side one has lighted up in over 5,000 miles of driving so far.

I knew I didn't like these from my various test drives, and I started my position with the dealership with those off the table... dealer trade for a different car or cut the cost off them to $0, didn't matter to me. I negotiated from there the price of the car to where I wanted to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope they find the issue. Also speaking of a problem like this, I hope they have done the same things as the Volt. With tthe Volt the dealer calls GM and a team at GM tells us gen what to do/replace. That way all the problems across the country are handled by a small team rather then 800 different mechanics conning up with their own guess. Also it relieves the dealer from responsibility of replace wrong item.

I have a 2019 Bolt Premier with 4500 miles. The lane assist randomly stops working, and while on a road trip yesterday, I got the message that it wasn't available all day. Today it works fine. Hate going to dealerships....grrrr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Bolt Premier with 4500 miles. The lane assist randomly stops working, and while on a road trip yesterday, I got the message that it wasn't available all day. Today it works fine. Hate going to dealerships....grrrr.
I get that its referred to in less-than-flatering terms by some, the drunken sailor lane assist. Tesla and surprisingly, Nissan seem to have done it right and it seems to be a benefit for those that buy them. I wish that GM would put the energy necessary into it so that its a good selling point and not a feature that drivers rarely or never use.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I get that its referred to in less-than-flatering terms by some, the drunken sailor lane assist. Tesla and surprisingly, Nissan seem to have done it right and it seems to be a benefit for those that buy them. I wish that GM would put the energy necessary into it so that its a good selling point and not a feature that drivers rarely or never use.
The lane-keeping assist not working randomly is another issue altogether and if that persists, that warrants a visit to a service center / dealership in the worst case. The "drunken sailor" style of the lane-keeping behaviour when it's active, on the other hand, is by design, sadly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
LKA, the only totally useless feature of the otherwise wonderful Chevy Bolt. The only thing it does consistently is use more power. Fix it, or dump it, Chevrolet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Weird. Mine works fine, even here where the line markers are often worn into a mere suggestion of where the lane is.

It has come in handy a few times when there's a strong crosswind in a narrow lane part of my regular commute.

I've never tried driving WITHOUT it on, but I might try it to see if the steering feels different. It is noticeable when it pulls me into alignment in the above situation though.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I have a 2019 Bolt Premier with 4500 miles. The lane assist randomly stops working, and while on a road trip yesterday, I got the message that it wasn't available all day.
The feature depends on the forward-facing camera in the rear view mirror housing, and it can get screwed up if the windshield is dirty - so the very first thing to check is that the windshield is clean. Since it's camera-based, it might also get flummoxed if you're driving into the sun - that often produces a lot of flare in cameras which could obscure the system's ability to discern lane markings.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The feature depends on the forward-facing camera in the rear view mirror housing, and it can get screwed up if the windshield is dirty - so the very first thing to check is that the windshield is clean. Since it's camera-based, it might also get flummoxed if you're driving into the sun - that often produces a lot of flare in cameras which could obscure the system's ability to discern lane markings.
There is also a software update for issues with the LKA. If it is under warranty the newer software made it work a little bit better.... (more centered?) My 2017 would do fine on the fog line but cross the double yellow. Maybe 6" over the line and after the software update and re-calibration, it seems to ride the yellow line..... better than going over it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have it on all the time and it won’t work for me at all. The LKA icon doesn’t even come on if the road lines are yellow. This is the most disappointing Bolt feature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would suggest a gentle curve at about 40 MPH with no traffic. Let go of the steering wheel and let it drift over gently into the next lane and see what happens. Make sure that LKA is actually on when you do this. There's a button on the lower left side of the steering wheel to turn it on and off, and there should be an icon that looks like car on the road in the instrument cluster to indicate it's on.
I tried letting the car drift with Lane Keep activated, on the freeway where Lane Keep should be at its best. Problem is, the car quickly realizes there’s no hand on the steering wheel—or at least a hand is not adequately holding on—and the car expresses displeasure.... I don’t recall exactly how, but it did. The long and the short: Lane Keep sorta works some of the time, but there’s rarely an audible tone when there should be one. Also, I note the light on the steering wheel indicating when Lane Keep is ‘on’ is amber in color. Always. Is it supposed to be green when the system is in order?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
but there’s rarely an audible tone when there should be one.
Welcome to the forum. The lack of audible tone is what I like best. Corrects my steering without letting my wife know. I've only had it beep a couple times since 2017. Has to be a pretty big deviation for it to squawk.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts