Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had our Bolt EUV for about a month now which means we got it just before the serious triple-digit heat set in here. The high temps here are now averaging 105-107f daily and we’ll start to hit 110-115f pretty regularly in August.

I’ve noticed that the car, while in our garage, has been running its active cooling cycle a lot. It runs the cycle while charging (understandable) and just as much while it’s sitting idle after its done charging. I keep it plugged all the time, per the manual, since the ambient temp in the garage is well above 90f all the time now.

Over the weekend, after the car had been charging for a couple of hours, we got a notification text that said: “OnStar: Your 2022 Bolt EUV is not charging due to an interruption. Please check your vehicle. For help, call 1.888.466.7827. Text STOP to cancel.” I went out to the garage and noticed the car wasn’t charging and it was actively cooling itself. I unplugged it from the EVSE, waited a few minutes, and plugged it back in. I figured that some type of heat breaker tripped and shutdown the charging as a safety feature. This was at 9:10pm at night BTW. Ambient temps were still in the mid to high 90’s.

Since then, I’ve been watching the charging like a hawk. The charging hasn’t been interrupted again, but my level 2 charger is frequently showing a pulsing blue light with solid amber light which is: “Charge speed derated due to CCID at high temps.” Still charging, but slower than normal. Note: I’m using the Chevy supplied EVSE via NEMA 14-50 outlet on a dedicated 40 amp circuit. I’ve used my laser thermometer on some of the under hood components during the active cooling cycle and some of them are hitting 125+ degrees.

Questions:
  1. Should I be doing something to help the car? Would lowering the charge rate from 32amps to something lower help? I suppose not since the car is actively cooling even when idle (not actively charging). I’ve kept the hood open thinking that would help but it doesn’t appear to do much.
  2. Should I consider active cooling in my garage? Maybe a small swamp cooler or portable A/C unit? Neither would be very efficient. An evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) might lower the garage temps by 5-10 degrees at best while jumping the humidity up. A roll-around AC unit might perform better but my garage is 21’ x 21’ so I would have to get at least a 12,000btu unit to even make a dent in the garage temps. My garage isn’t well insulated.
  3. Or, am I just overreacting and shouldn’t worry about this? Hearing a car actively cooling itself while just sitting there, not even charging, is a new thing for me. It kinda freaked me out the first time I noticed it while it was just idle, not gonna lie. Lol
Any advice from owners in the desert Southwest? Southern NV / AZ / SoCal?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm very familiar with how crazy hot it gets in Vegas in the summer. Have been there 3x during the summer.

Battery conditioning was written before all the battery recalls and software updates (who knows what GM changed in terms of the cooling algorithms/thresholds?)

Google makes for a good unit converter (e.g. 27 c in f). 27 C = 80.6 F

"I’ve used my laser thermometer on some of the under hood components during the active cooling cycle and some of them are hitting 125+ degrees." - that doesn't surprise me. See below.

These may help, a bit:

I can't speak to your charging interruption or EVSE behavior.

Reactions: Seebradgo

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
I know the 14-50 outlet was just recently installed, but use your laser thermometer on the outlet as well. On the original Level 1 EVSE, there was a thermal sensor on the plug that would shut off charging if the temperature got too hot. I don't think the Level 2 EVSE has a temperature sensor, so that's probably not what's slowing down your charging speed, but that's still something I'd check.

As for the temperature in the garage itself - do you have issues with critters in your neighborhood? If not, maybe open a window (if one exists) or leave the garage door cracked open?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the 14-50 outlet was just recently installed, but use your laser thermometer on the outlet as well. On the original Level 1 EVSE, there was a thermal sensor on the plug that would shut off charging if the temperature got too hot. I don't think the Level 2 EVSE has a temperature sensor, so that's probably not what's slowing down your charging speed, but that's still something I'd check.

As for the temperature in the garage itself - do you have issues with critters in your neighborhood? If not, maybe open a window (if one exists) or leave the garage door cracked open?
I will hit the EVSE with the laser thermometer when I see the amber light indicating that the CCID is at high temp. I don’t recall ever seeing that when we initially got the car. I.E. When the garage was cooler. When I measured the temp with the unit solid blue (sitting idle), it’s around 95f degrees on the black portion of the unit body. Maybe a few degrees higher than ambient. The plug itself it at 89f, which is pretty much what the garage is sitting at.

What exactly is the “CCID?” Googling that component yields few, relevant results. Is it a component of the EVSE itself or is it some thermal sensor on the car itself?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm very familiar with how crazy hot it gets in Vegas in the summer. Have been there 3x during the summer.

Battery conditioning was written before all the battery recalls and software updates (who knows what GM changed in terms of the cooling algorithms/thresholds?)

Google makes for a good unit converter (e.g. 27 c in f). 27 C = 80.6 F

"I’ve used my laser thermometer on some of the under hood components during the active cooling cycle and some of them are hitting 125+ degrees." - that doesn't surprise me. See below.

These may help, a bit:

I can't speak to your charging interruption or EVSE behavior.
Thanks for sharing that info. The video in the mentioned thread is pretty much what the car sounds like when it’s plugged in and cooling itself (both while charging and idle plugged in). Seems normal given that info.

I guess my concern has now shifted to the EVSE unit itself, wondering if it’s getting too hot and shutting itself down (when it interrupted) or throttling itself.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
I will hit the EVSE with the laser thermometer when I see the amber light indicating that the CCID is at high temp. I don’t recall ever seeing that when we initially got the car. I.E. When the garage was cooler. When I measured the temp with the unit solid blue (sitting idle), it’s around 95f degrees on the black portion of the unit body. Maybe a few degrees higher than ambient. The plug itself it at 89f, which is pretty much what the garage is sitting at.

What exactly is the “CCID?” Googling that component yields few, relevant results. Is it a component of the EVSE itself or is it some thermal sensor on the car itself?
Typically for EVSEs, CCID refers to the "Charge Circuit Interrupting Device" (ie circuit breaker) and is a standard safety feature for Level 2 EVSEs. Some generic EVSEs sold online may not have them , so the advice is to stick with reputable brands like ChargePoint, Juicebox, Clipper Creek, Webasto, Grizzl-E, Emporia, etc. The OEM EVSE that comes with the Bolt does have one, so that may be what's getting too hot.

Edit:
One other thing to check - make sure the plug that connects to the EVSE is firmly seated. It should be below flush. If it's flush, then you actually need to push it in more.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I guess my concern has now shifted to the EVSE unit itself, wondering if it’s getting too hot and shutting itself down (when it interrupted) or throttling itself.
I understand you use the one GM provided with the car. I would buy a low charging speed one in your place (a Clipper Creak LCS-20), given that when charging at a lesser power, the charging time is longer and the battery will condition itself in better conditions.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I know the factory EVSE is fussy about conditions (and that's a good thing). Mine stopped working when I was only using it at 120V and I found out it was because it wasn't making a good connection at the outlet. Replaced the outlet with a commercial grade one and the problem went away. So I'd check all connections and reduce the charge rate if you can and see if that makes it happier. It's probably the combination of higher heat and running the EVSE at 32A so taking care of either might solve it since the two variables will "stack": either bring the temps down in the garage or lower the charging amps. The latter would seem to be the easiest (and cheapest).

Mike

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
120 Posts
Yeah here in Phoenix the active cooling is coming on multiple time daily. When I got up this morning the outside temp was 92F and today has a excessive heat warning so I suspect it will active cool a lot today. I do have monitoring on my garage line and in the last 24 hours there were 8 cooling spikes of ~1Kw. Now I suspect some are the Volt and some are the Bolt. It is normal operations here. My garage is much the same as yours, I did consider adding insulation and active cooling to it when I got our Volts back in 2011. Just never got around to it, was considering a 120V mini split,

This week is gonna be brutal:

Font Screenshot Communication Device Electronic device Parallel

I hace been here when we hit 120F so this is pretty typical this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
...So I'd check all connections and reduce the charge rate if you can and see if that makes it happier...
OP can control the charge rate on Level 1 (8 or 12 amps). However, there isn't a formal way to control the charge rate on Level 2 with the OEM EVSE. There is a "hack" (use the Level 1 plug, then use external adapters to connect to a 14-50 outlet) that will reduce the charge rate to 12 amps on Level 2 with the OEM dual voltage EVSE.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I still think that for those who face high temperatures, they should consider buying an EVSE that allows modification of the charging speed, and lower it when the temperatures are above 90F.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Portable EVSEs are notorious for over heating, the Ford one for the Mach E has the same issue. I live in Phoenix and have two ChargePoint Home Flex units, they work perfectly fine in the heat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Portable EVSEs are notorious for over heating, the Ford one for the Mach E has the same issue. I live in Phoenix and have two ChargePoint Home Flex units, they work perfectly fine in the heat.
I have 2 clipper creek a 3.3 Kw one for the Volt and a HCS 50 for the Bolt, 9.6 KW @ 40 amps. Never Any issue charging with either of them, he!! the Volt one is 10 years old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah here in Phoenix the active cooling is coming on multiple time daily. When I got up this morning the outside temp was 92F and today has a excessive heat warning so I suspect it will active cool a lot today. I do have monitoring on my garage line and in the last 24 hours there were 8 cooling spikes of ~1Kw. Now I suspect some are the Volt and some are the Bolt. It is normal operations here. My garage is much the same as yours, I did consider adding insulation and active cooling to it when I got our Volts back in 2011. Just never got around to it, was considering a 120V mini split,

This week is gonna be brutal:

View attachment 44373

I hace been here when we hit 120F so this is pretty typical this time of year.
Thanks for the info. I know there's tons of Bolts here and I've seen a few PHX folks here & there on the forums. So I know the Bolts can survive here. Lord knows I drive past probably a hundred Teslas daily on my commute so I know EVs can thrive here.

2 Questions for you:
  1. Are you using the Chevy supplied EVSE?
  2. If so, have you ever noticed the pulsing blue light + solid amber indicating derated charging speed due to CCID at high temp? - I'm trying to get a bead if it's something in my setup or if this is common because of the garage temps here in the SW.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know there's tons of Bolts here and I've seen a few PHX folks here & there on the forums. So I know the Bolts can survive here. Lord knows I drive past probably a hundred Teslas daily on my commute so I know EVs can thrive here.

2 Questions for you:
  1. Are you using the Chevy supplied EVSE?
  2. If so, have you ever noticed the pulsing blue light + solid amber indicating derated charging speed due to CCID at high temp? - I'm trying to get a bead if it's something in my setup or if this is common because of the garage temps here in the SW.
Sorry don't use the supplied EVSE, our Volt and Bolt both have Clipper Creek EVSE, and they never give an issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edit:
One other thing to check - make sure the plug that connects to the EVSE is firmly seated. It should be below flush. If it's flush, then you actually need to push it in more.
I know the factory EVSE is fussy about conditions (and that's a good thing). Mine stopped working when I was only using it at 120V and I found out it was because it wasn't making a good connection at the outlet. Replaced the outlet with a commercial grade one and the problem went away. So I'd check all connections and reduce the charge rate if you can and see if that makes it happier. It's probably the combination of higher heat and running the EVSE at 32A so taking care of either might solve it since the two variables will "stack": either bring the temps down in the garage or lower the charging amps. The latter would seem to be the easiest (and cheapest).

Mike
I'm going to work on remounting the Chevy unit in a lower position. When I mounted it to the wall, I ended up mounting it 1/4" - 3/8" too high and the adapter plug is very taught. Even though it seats...I thought fine...and gives the blue status indicator of a good connection...you've got me thinking about lowering it. Even though I'm getting the blue status indicator, I suppose the connection either from the adapter to the unit might be loose, or the plug itself isn't fully seated onto the outlet because of how taught it is.

Note: The "extra" loop at the top, I self installed on the wall to reduce stress on the cord coming out of the EVSE unit.

Gas Paint Wire Electrical wiring Electrical supply

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Judging off the comments...here's my course of action over the next several days:
  1. Based off the comments from @MichBolt & @MikeyBolt - I'll start with remounting the EVSE lower to increase the slack in the 14-50 adapter to the EVSE unit itself. When I first mounted it, I noticed the adapter cord to the EVSE was so "taught" that it wanted to pull out the first few times I tried to wall mount it. I finally rocked the plug into place enough to where it wouldn't pull out of the unit. Even though I'm getting the blue status indicator, perhaps the connection isn't as solid as I think and it's causing additional heat? I'll lower the unit on the wall and see if that helps. I'll just have to figure out how to lower the mounts on the dry wall by about a 1/2".
  2. Failing #1 working, I'll pull the trigger on a wall mount EVSE that has adjustable amperage. We don't have a second EVSE so we've been researching buying a dedicated home unit anways and keeping the Chevy portable unit in the car for travel. I've looking at the Grizzl-E w/ Wifi ($539), the AuTel MaxiCharger ($559), or the Wallbox Pulsar Plus ($649). Honestly, I wanted to keep it around $500, but I'm worried about the quality of chargers at $500 or less. The Grizzl-E seems to be pretty solidly built and most likely to keep the desert dust out of it. Even though this is all mounted inside our garage...the amount of fine, desert dust that makes it way into the garage would surprise you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Seegradgo, I am in Tucson, AZ so only a few degrees cooler than Lost Wages and Phoenix. I put a portable AC unit from Home Depot in the garage to keep the temp just below 90. It worked last year when the outside temp hit 115. So far this year only to 109 - maybe higher today.
Check to see if your power company has any programs to help you pay for your EVSE. Ours does, but the EVSE has to meet several requirements.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Phoenix here. I've been using an inexpensive (<$180) 240v/16A EVSE on the Bolt last summer and on the Tesla this summer. No problems. Do you need that full 32 amps? If not, lower it. There's no benefit to having the car fully charged at 2am instead of 5am. Also, some standoffs between the wall and EVSE may help by allowing some airflow.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV - Cherry Red Tintcoat
48 Posts
I live about an hour and a half south of you in Kingman, AZ. While we do get a slight break on temperature, it is not by much. Supposed to be 104 here today. My garage also gets very warm. I had to buy a different charger anyway, because I only have a 30 amp circuit. Since I am a renter, couldn't take advantage of Chevrolet's offer to install a dedicated circuit for the supplied charger. The Autel Maxicharger is on sale on Amazon right now. 20% off, which equals out to about $111. I found it to be quite good.

You can see my thread here:

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts