Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my new 2021, and I tried charging on a 350kW fast charging station at South Lake Tahoe. I was surprised at the end of the session that EA sent me a text saying that the maximum charge rate was 64.5kW! This is news to me as I thought ~55 - 57kW was the previously reported max. I wasn't with the vehicle when this happened, so I didn't observe this on the car, and I'm a bit skeptical.

I just tried to repeat it on a local 150kW EA charger and it didn't repeat. Perhaps it was a fluke? Does anyone else have any experience with an unusually high DC fast charge rate?

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
I was surprised at the end of the session that EA sent me a text saying that the maximum charge rate was 64.5kW! This is news to me as I thought ~55 - 57kW was the previously reported max. I wasn't with the vehicle when this happened, so I didn't observe this on the car, and I'm a bit skeptical.
Was the car turned on? If the car was on, with AC running, the heater can run and pull 7.5 kW briefly, to dehumidify. The accessory battery charger can also pull 1.6 kW.

The car knows how much charge power is available, and it does adjust these loads based how much is available.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Most likely it was just a spike that lasted less than a second. Like GJETSON mentioned, there's a lot of places the power can go other than the battery and it's possible that when a few things turned on there was a moment between these items clicking on and the battery charge decreasing to compensate and keep the current under 150 amps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have my car turned off for the entire duration of the charge. Wish I was around to observe if it was a brief spike or it was consistent.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Do you have a 350kW charger nearby? It might be worth trying to reproduce this as closely as possible. What was the outdoor temperature when you charged? You probably don't know the battery temp, but that matters even more. What was the starting SoC?

I'd love this to be true, but I'm as skeptical as you.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Do you have a 350kW charger nearby? It might be worth trying to reproduce this as closely as possible. What was the outdoor temperature when you charged? You probably don't know the battery temp, but that matters even more. What was the starting SoC?

Looking at the picture he posted (47 kWh delivered, final SOC 87%) I would say he plugged in somewhere between 15% and 20% SOC. But if the peak charging speed is wrong the other info could be off as well...

Keith

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, I will try on a 350kW station again next time I need a charge to see. The outdoor temp was about 82, and the starting SoC was, as Fivedoor correctly guesstimated, around 17%.

·
Registered
121 Posts
EA knows the power it pulls from the grid, the power sent to the car after conversion losses and the power spent on cooling. The car knows the power that enters the battery.

I'm not sure what EA is reporting but here is one possibility:
64.5 kW from grid -- reported
Say 10% conversion losses
Say 1 kW spent on cooling

Power in to car would then be 64.5*0.9 - 1 = 57.05 kW

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

I guess going above listed charge rate is possible. Watch from 3:40

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could be the time of day increased the price?

Still better than the $0.25 / minute that ChargePoint Station owners in Georgia charge us.

1:29:00 cost $22.25 + 1 minute of Idle time at $0.25. :mad:

So, I'll contend with the super slow at home Level 1 charging. It took 12 hours to add 45 miles to the car. But, for $0.84 (including tax), I can live with that.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. I thought you were complaining about the bill. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts