Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Latest software versions?

31K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  schwinn 
#1 ·
What is the latest software version for each model year?

E.g. is the latest software version for the 2017 model year 14.5.0?

#52 · (Edited)
That is correct.

If you want regular updates and features added via OTA then a Tesla is really your only choice. Others are doing OTA but not at anywhere close the frequency or the quality of what Tesla is doing. Dealerships don't want OTA because anytime a car shows up for service they get paid and have a chance to upsell you on something you don't need. OTA updates cost nothing and dealerships get nothing.

Running a software update on a Bolt books them 1 - 1.5 hours labor they can bill GM or the customer. (Or sometimes both!)

#53 ·
Understood. Is there a listing of what is the latest, somewhere, though? I am fine if OTA is not available, but I also don't want to waste time going to the dealer for no reason. Most of my area dealers are largely clueless about computers, as well... I imagine they'll be even worse with these new cars (even though it's over 5 years old now!)

Ideally, it would be nice to know what is fixed by the update, before I apply it. I'd hate for it to break more things in the process.

I had a Caddy ATS recently, and the software on that car was garbage. GM was utterly useless on that car in various ways - one reason I got rid of it. I expect similar non-support on this car...

#55 ·
I wasn't sure, but thanks for the clarification. Still, there are some issues I see there that could be fixed... so if that helps, then I'm all for it. My concern with breaking things is that, sometimes, updates break things while they fix others... I see it all the time. As long as nothing new/problematic doesn't happen, I'm interested in the updates...

One example - I can use the FAV buttons on the steering wheel to jump between the radio presets. However, sometimes, this doesn't work, and instead it just pops up a control mechanism on the DIC to let me control the preset with the right-side up/down buttons. So, what normally is a single press now takes multiple presses to get the presets to cycle. If that is fixed in a newer version, then that would be great - as long as other things don't break!

#56 ·
My concern with breaking things is that, sometimes, updates break things while they fix others... I see it all the time.
Back when we got our 2017 you could load pictures and videos to the infotainment screen. Then we got our first update. They said it was to correct some problem. They removed the ability to watch videos. Thanks GM. :mad:

#57 ·
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of as well... does the manual say you can do that? If they took away a feature, you could make a case for them to put it back, but it would certainly be a big fight with likely no real resolution.

I was part of a planned class action against Caddy for their poorly designed touchscreen. I did everything I could to help it land, but unfortunately it went nowhere...

Remember, what we have here is a LEGAL system, not a JUSTICE system.