Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in todays mail I'm getting "Lemon Law Information" from "Consumer Legal Services, P.C." Wonder what that could be about?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now we where you live, in MI. I'm guessing that's between MH and MJ.
Michigan. Lemon law time limit is long gone for a 17. Unless I got handed a check for stupid money I wouldn't do anything. Bolt is my ride at the moment and what I want to replace it won't be available for months.

Reactions: Ronglos

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you had the original recall done within the first year of ownership, you might still qualify under michigan law, but it's definitely complicated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Remember there has been 4 recalls on 2017. First were in 2018 for propulsion loss in high voltage battery.

·
Registered
251 Posts
According to my paperwork it was. Had that and first propulsion done under one recall. They had separate recall #s or customer satisfaction program #s. Then had to go back a month later for 2nd propulsion recall. Then " final fix" and now battery replacement recall.

·
Registered
251 Posts
First one
Font Paper Document Number Symmetry

·
Registered
251 Posts
2nd
Font Rectangle Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yah, I got one of those in the mail today also. Not taking any action at the moment, but was slightly irked at seeing next to my name OR CURRENT RESIDENT. If they're sure I'm the one with the Bolt, why include that?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah, I got one of those in the mail today also. Not taking any action at the moment, but was slightly irked at seeing next to my name OR CURRENT RESIDENT. If they're sure I'm the one with the Bolt, why include that?
Same reason you get discount coupons for oil changes. Automated mail systems.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
130 Posts
Isn't there an ambulance somewhere for these people to chase?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Remember there has been 4 recalls on 2017. First were in 2018 for propulsion loss in high voltage battery.
I had completely forgotten about that one! Did GM know there was an issue all the way near the begining? If so, my buyback mileage may be much lower than I previously thought!

Keith

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had completely forgotten about that one! Did GM know there was an issue all the way near the begining? If so, my buyback mileage may be much lower than I previously thought!

Keith
Why would anybody think GM knew about potential fire problems BEFORE ANY OF THEM HAD A FIRE? That's just silly.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I thought the issue back then was a low cell would brick the car, even during use, which is a safety issue.
I can't remember exactly what it was, and I can't find any information on it. If low SOC was the problem back then, and now we are being told to not drive the car too a low SOC, that seems like it may have been a battery cell problem that the system WAS detecting and shutting down the cars, so GM "corrected" the system because it was "too sensitive"... Seems more likely in hind sight that it was detecting real problems and shutting down cars with bad cells.

Keith

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't remember exactly what it was, and I can't find any information on it. If low SOC was the problem back then, and now we are being told to not drive the car too a low SOC, that seems like it may have been a battery cell problem that the system WAS detecting and shutting down the cars, so GM "corrected" the system because it was "too sensitive"... Seems more likely in hind sight that it was detecting real problems and shutting down cars with bad cells.

Keith
GM has been replacing modules here and there due to low cell voltage since the beginning. I think if there were any link to those situations and the fires GM would have a much better idea of how to fix the problem.

And if I recall correctly the recall was to change the software so that it would not brick the car, and was applied regardless of whether the car had a cell voltage issue or not. If you had cells replaced personally, that might count.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Why did they do a battery BMS change back in 2018? What were they trying to prevent?

Keith
This is the verbiage right off the recall in question:

Certain 2017-2018 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition where the software will not detect the difference in the state of charge between the cell groups of the battery and over predict the indicated battery range. The current software may not provide sufficient warning prior to a battery cell low range condition, which may result in a loss of propulsion. Only certain vehicles will experience the battery low voltage cell condition.

Nothing to do with actual state of charge. Just a glitch in which it sometimes overestimated range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts