·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
674 Posts
I hope Wisconsin is smart enough to put some in Door County and the upper half of the state, and Michigan gets some into the UP. While it's nice they'll try to ring the Great Lakes, the general population of those states aren't exactly forward looking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I asked that question on the FB's before I bought mine and found the answers to be correct by trial and error.

The heater itself pulls about 7.5KW at max input/output.

If you're plugged into L2 @ 32amps, that's about 7.6KW input, and the heater will be drawing 7.5KW.....IF the heater is actively trying the heat the cabin and working at full tilt....therefore, the battery will only get like .1KW of charge...if that much.
If the cabin is already warm and the heater is just 'maintaining' temperature, maybe the heater is only drawing 1KW....which would leave you with about 6.5KW left over to charge the battery.

Conversely, if you're plugged into L2 @ 10amps, that's about 2.4KW. While the heater is trying to warm up the cabin and working hard at it, the heater will still pull 7.5KW, which effectively is 5.1KW off the HV battery, 2.4KW from the charger. So while the cabin is warming up, you'll lose charge. When the cabin gets warmed up and the heater can settle down a bit, the battery will start charging again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to both charge and heat their cars in some brutal midwest weather or is this more of a nice weather day thing?
During pandemic date nights with the wife while it was cold out we sometimes park at a L2 station at a local park with the heat on and just talk.

I would love to have done that for my lunches at work this last winter but the nearest L2 charger is at a distance where I would need to charge for 40min just to break even on the mileage traveled to/from the charger back to work and that is without the heat on.

Also I am excited for this winter as I installed a 240v 16amp EVSE now so 3.8kw is available to precondition/heat the car in the garage rather than only 1.4kw. Due to the recall I have programed my car not to charge from 8pm - 6am. At 6am before I go to work my car has power available to top off up to 80% OR heat the cabin if I turn it on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is my understanding that the Bolt EV (all MYs) has a 2000 watt (2 kW) electric heater ((under-hood US passenger side). This could never draw 7.5 kW. Am I wrong in this?
I dont know the exact details but if I just start my 2020 Bolt LT and turn the heat on the usage will show 7+ kW usage rather than the 1kW-ish when it is off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It'll pull more than 7.5KW in the winter...
Heater coils, battery heater, blower motor, radio, screens, wipers, etc...etc....etc.....et.c...c..e.t..t.c..c.e.e.t.t.c.c.c.c.e.e.t.t.t.c.... (too cold :D )

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
"During pandemic date nights with the wife while it was cold out we sometimes park at a L2 station at a local park with the heat on and just talk. "

I'd say romantic but I don't say that stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,781 Posts
@surgeonFWW is correct about the battery's separate resistive heater.
I must have been confusing this heater with the cabin air heater. I did what was suggested and cycled my heat (set at 85 degrees) off and on. Shur 'nuff, it was 7.5 kW! (That was with the fan blowing hard, also.) Thanks for correcting me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.