Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has always concerned me about charging my Bolt in public. I thought Teslas locked their charging cables, but I always feared someone messing with my Bolt. I once came out toy Bolt being unplugged from an EA station by my car was full and I was hopeful that someone was doing me a favor and unplugging me to keep me from getting an idling fee:

·
Registered
441 Posts
This has always concerned me about charging my Bolt in public. I thought Teslas locked their charging cables, but I always feared someone messing with my Bolt. I once came out toy Bolt being unplugged from an EA station by my car was full and I was hopeful that someone was doing me a favor and unplugging me to keep me from getting an idling fee:

Others will disagree but I'd argue if the vehicle is fully charged, it should be fine to unplug. I personally go as far as to include a courtesy "do not disturb" type hanging sign on the charging cable when public charging stating if someone needs to charge and my green light is solid, they have my permission.

Now if your vehicle is plugged in and charging (and especially if you are paying for the charge) - this should be illegal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't find this kind of thing the least bit surprising, but I'm gonna guess that it's primarily an Anti-Tesla/Anti-Musk thing combined with the misperception that these cars are very expensive and only owned by very rich people.

Probably not happening to Bolt owners much, if at all...

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Others will disagree but I'd argue if the vehicle is fully charged, it should be fine to unplug. I personally go as far as to include a courtesy "do not disturb" type hanging sign on the charging cable when public charging stating if someone needs to charge and my green light is solid, they have my permission.
I agree with that -- if a car is fully-charged, it's OK to unplug it as happened to me. I actually just thought Tesla's locked to prevent this from happening but I guess not when it's not a Tesla charger.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I may be wrong, but I do not think that any AC Level 2 EVSE (including Tesla destination chargers) automatically lock on. Pressing the "unplug" button/lever on the J-1772 opens the Control Status (CS) circuit (Contact {pin} #5) and stops the charging current flow. Most J-1772 plugs have a hole for a small (TSA?) lock to be placed, which prevents depressing the unplug lever. I always use a lock when I am using my own AC Level 1 EVSE or my Tesla Tap. I have (on rare occasion only) used one on a commercial J-1772 plug. I have been both unplugged (when charging was complete) AND gratefully plugged in by a stranger when I left my port door open as a signal. Lastly, I have never experienced even the possibility of idle charges on an AC Level 2 EVSE, only on DC Levels 1 & 2 when I was not getting a free charge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are any of these charging stations ever set up to be two-sided? Because - if they were, that would greatly reduce the opportunity to charge idle fees with the "no-lock" plugs and additional "in-proximity" parking spaces.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with that -- if a car is fully-charged, it's OK to unplug it as happened to me. I actually just thought Tesla's locked to prevent this from happening but I guess not when it's not a Tesla charger.
The charge port on Tesla's does lock automatically and will only unlock either when it senses your phone (Model 3/Y) or manually unlock via app or screen. Public chargers however require the adapter that comes with the car allowing a J-1772 to plug into the Tesla. You can unplug the J-1772 but the adapter remains locked in place.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The charge port on Tesla's does lock automatically and will only unlock either when it senses your phone (Model 3/Y) or manually unlock via app or screen. Public chargers however require the adapter that comes with the car allowing a J-1772 to plug into the Tesla. You can unplug the J-1772 but the adapter remains locked in place.
Sort of validating another reason to one, consider a Tesla moving forward and two, another reason that using public chargers is an isue (if unplugged unfairly). :/

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been the guilty party before. Arrived at a DCFC (single EvGo CCS) with 5% remaining. There was another Bolt plugged in, fully-charged. I waited 20 minutes, nobody came out, so I unplugged them. When I left 30 minutes later, they still had not returned. I didn't feel especially bad about it - if I'd waited I probably would have been stuck for 3-4 hours, just because somebody forgot they were plugged in (or didn't care).

As EVs become more common and charger demand goes up, there's going to be a lot more of this.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been the guilty party before. Arrived at a DCFC (single EvGo CCS) with 5% remaining. There was another Bolt plugged in, fully-charged. I waited 20 minutes, nobody came out, so I unplugged them. When I left 30 minutes later, they still had not returned. I didn't feel especially bad about it - if I'd waited I probably would have been stuck for 3-4 hours, just because somebody forgot they were plugged in (or didn't care).

As EVs become more common and charger demand goes up, there's going to be a lot more of this.
Agreed. And it sounds like you were courteous with it but I think as EVs become more common and (hopefully) more charging stations pop up, there will need to be some sort of charging etiquette that everyone will need to be aware of since you’re not just sitting with your car like at a gas pump where you leave whenever you’re done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts