Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just picked up my Bolt EV LT today. I have leased two Nissan Leafs over the past six
years and decided I really needed the extended range of the Bolt. I'm really enjoying
the Bolt so far.
I like that it's a bit higher than the Leaf, so the visibility is improved and the iPhone integration
with the Bolt is way better than the Leaf. I like the proximity sensors a lot on the Bolt.
There's things that I'll miss about the Leaf ... which is a great car .. had zero problems with
either one of them, but I'm very happy with the Bolt ... particularly knowing I can get up to
Monterey and back without having to charge... I think I'm gonna like this car :)
I really like the "one pedal" driving .. once you learn how to feather the pedal, it's really
simple and regens a lot more.
One thing I think could use some simplification is the charging schedule / peak time menu.
That is feature packed to say the least :)

jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yea, agree.
The charging menu /schedule thing is not intuitive enough. It should enable owners to set how much to charge it up to instead of fiddling with this "off peak" hack.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DLike others, I'm enjoying my Bolt progressing from a Prius Plug In and BMW i3. New technology is exciting. My thoughts on charging, keep it simple, filler up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,
Just picked up my Bolt EV LT today. I have leased two Nissan Leafs over the past six
years and decided I really needed the extended range of the Bolt. I'm really enjoying
the Bolt so far.
I like that it's a bit higher than the Leaf, so the visibility is improved and the iPhone integration
with the Bolt is way better than the Leaf. I like the proximity sensors a lot on the Bolt.
There's things that I'll miss about the Leaf ... which is a great car .. had zero problems with
either one of them, but I'm very happy with the Bolt ... particularly knowing I can get up to
Monterey and back without having to charge... I think I'm gonna like this car :)
I really like the "one pedal" driving .. once you learn how to feather the pedal, it's really
simple and regens a lot more.
One thing I think could use some simplification is the charging schedule / peak time menu.
That is feature packed to say the least :)

jeff
Perhaps a future software update could fix the charging schedule menu?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Congrats on the new Bolt! Don't think Chevy will change the charging schedule / peak time menu since it isn't exactly a problem. But you'll get used to it over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the new Bolt! Don't think Chevy will change the charging schedule / peak time menu since it isn't exactly a problem. But you'll get used to it over time.
Well, here's what they could do ... they know where you live .. could ask you at the dealership what
utility you use .. and program it right there. With all the Wifi stuff that they have in the car and GPS .. when
you set your home location, just asking how your home is powered would be 90% of what that menu is trying
to get from the owner.

jeff

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, here's what they could do ... they know where you live .. could ask you at the dealership what
utility you use .. and program it right there. With all the Wifi stuff that they have in the car and GPS .. when
you set your home location, just asking how your home is powered would be 90% of what that menu is trying
to get from the owner.

jeff
Ford's software just has you enter your Rate code from your electric bill - and it figures out the Rest - so this is very possible, and already shipping in the competition's cars…

the rate planning software in the Chevy is horrible and needs an overhaul to make it more accessible and more flexible

1. the peak/off peak charging user interface (UI) is complex - it needs to be simpler
2. there should be support for scheduled charging at multiple locations - not just one "home" location
3. charging AMPs should be under software control and GPS aware - if you've set a lower AMP setting at a particular location before you probably want it again
4. each GPS location should save: AMP's & charging schedule so when you return to that location you get the same settings without have to fuss in the car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford's software just has you enter your Rate code from your electric bill - and it figures out the Rest - so this is very possible, and already shipping in the competition's cars…

the rate planning software in the Chevy is horrible and needs an overhaul to make it more accessible and more flexible

1. the peak/off peak charging user interface (UI) is complex - it needs to be simpler
2. there should be support for scheduled charging at multiple locations - not just one "home" location
3. charging AMPs should be under software control and GPS aware - if you've set a lower AMP setting at a particular location before you probably want it again
4. each GPS location should save: AMP's & charging schedule so when you return to that location you get the same settings without have to fuss in the car
These are all great ideas...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
In WV, we have no time-of-day electric rate variance (already lower than much of the Country). I set my Bolt to Hilltop Reserve and plug in whenever I get low (20-30% SoC), not worrying about waiting until "off peak" or "be charged by 7 am". This 70% fill-up (20% to 90%) takes about 7 hours and I get a text message when charging is completed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts