Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
traded in my 2015 nissan leaf SL for a Bolt Premier today , this time doing a lease cause you seem to lose a lot on trade in value .
only got $9500 for my 2015 leaf SL with 9500 miles , yes under 10,000 miles after 3 years , bought it sept 2014
I got the White Bolt but what I noticed on drive home the top of dash is light gray colored and seems to reflect bad in the windshied,
maybe i should have gone with the dark gray ? only time will tell .
And the regular brakes do slow the car but when i got close to car ahead i noticed i had to push harder on pedal / maybe cause brakes
are new .
Also the dealer told me that be warned the brake lights do not go on when using low gear or the brake regen paddle . so tap your brakes if someone
following you too close
Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
First gratz an the new Bolt! Second the dealer knows not what he talks about, the brake lights do come on in L but you have to slow at a speed greater -0.1g. Take it out on a night run and and watch the review mirror you'll see the lights come on reflected off the rear wiper assembly.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The brake lights simply do not STAY on when you come to a complete stop (deceleration = 0) using "L" or the regen paddle. For safety, put a foot on the brake pedal when you have come to a complete stop.

Congrats #2 . Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
195 Posts
:(Lesson learned on buying EVs and rapid depreciation, technology advances? With everything considered, a lease works best for me. My last four of five new cars have been leased.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:(Lesson learned on buying EVs and rapid depreciation, technology advances? With everything considered, a lease works best for me. My last four of five new cars have been leased.
while speaking of leasing, since i've never leased before, will the leasing company get the federal tax credit and pass it on to me?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
while speaking of leasing, since i've never leased before, will the leasing company get the federal tax credit and pass it on to me?
They will get the full $7,500 Fed Tax Credit.... they should factor it in to the price of the vehicle and adjust the monthly rate accordingly. It's up to you to see that they're doing it though....

·
Registered
19 Posts
They will get the full $7,500 Fed Tax Credit.... they should factor it in to the price of the vehicle and adjust the monthly rate accordingly. It's up to you to see that they're doing it though....
thanx Rob. Smithtown chevy told me this very thing this morning, but its good to know in advance. some here have posted that their leasing company shared only part of the credit. Smithtown did tell me I would get the whole thing. i've only spoken on the phone so far, but they gave me a monthly quote of a little over $300/month, with$2000 down. its for an LT, with DC fc, and the pkg with heated seats/steering wheel. about $38K, including a truecar saving certificate of $1482. only 10K miles per year but since its a second car, and I'm not going to put much mileage on it, it seemed reasonable.

btw, Rob, are you going to the national drive electric event this sunday at tanger in riverhead?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats on the new Bolt.

To address the reflection, you may want to look into a dash cover. Dashcare.com has custom covers in a variety of materials and colors. I went with black carpet for about 40 bucks. Fits perfect and shows zero reflection in the windshield.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went shopping today and when i came home and turned off car up popped "Rear Seat Reminder / Look in rear seat " I was stumped how the car knew that then I
goggled it and see GM putting that on several 2017-2018 vehicles. GM monitors the rear door if it was opened before car started and that's how it knew .
Probably for parents who forget their kids in a hot car !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Bob i was very disappointed when I heard the 2018 Leaf was only going to have 150 mile range / and there were no details on exactly when the 60k battery was coming later in 2018 or 2019 ?
so when the Bolt came available in GA in Sept I decided to go with the Bolt / looks like the Bolt selling well out of the dealers here in GA / plus there are tons of Leafs in GA coming off lease now
cause Leafs sold like hotcakes back when GA used to give $6000 state tax rebate on top of federal $7500. I was surprised to learn that cause i leased this Bolt I cannot get the $7500 fed rebate like I did get back in 2014 when i had purchased my Leaf . Also in GA they now charge $220 registration fee cause EV's don't pay any gas taxes instead of usual $20 reg fee for gas cars which is bummer but I still like going electric .

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The $9500 trade in value was a pretty good deal for a Leaf. You can pick up used ones for $6000 in my area, however with their passive cooling in 100 plus weather I would not touch a used Leaf. Strike that, I would not even buy a new 2018 Leaf with their passive cooling. The Bolt won't depreciate as much as people think IMO. It will be years until a car will get as much range as a Bolt for a cheaper price. Even Nissan couldn't match the specs of the Bolt and they have been in the EV game for awhile now. The Model 3 even lacks in price compared to the Bolt and they are having issues ramping up their production. With all the subsidies my Bolt cost me under $24,000 and I would be shocked in 3 years if you could buy a used Bolt for under $20,000 when the leases start coming back. I don't think there will be cars beating the Bolt in value for about 5 years from now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GA registration fees

Another thing I love with GA is the alternative fuel vehicle fee when you register a EV in GA . I had paid the $208.13
fee in July for my 2015 Nissan leaf but now with my new Bolt I had to pay prorated $180 fee + $5 transfer fee to transfer my plate over .
And this was not an alternative fuel license plate which would have been another $35 !!

Non-Commercial Motor Vehicle Fee: $208.13
These fees apply to the following vehicles:
Vehicles that operate solely on electricity, regardless of whether the owner uses analternative fuel vehicle license plate. Plug-in hybrid-electric or flex fuel vehicles (such as E-85), but only if those vehicleshave elected an alternative fuel vehicle license plate.
These fees do not apply to the following vehicles:
 Vehicles that operate primarily on compressed natural gas, liquefied natural gas, orliquefied petroleum gas.
 Hybrid-electric vehicles that are not plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Me too. The 2018 Leaf looked promising but since Nissan pushed the 60 kWh version to 2019, I couldn't wait too long. Timing sucks when you need a car versus curious about one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Had strange thing happen yesterday when i started Bolt up I had no radio / then I noticed the touchscreen would not change screens . I drove to store where i was going turned off car opened door but center screen stayed on ? Tried turn car on again - same thing . Locked up car went shopping came back and car was normal / turned itself fully off.
Turned it on and radio was working fine .
I thought I may have to make trip to chevy dealer but I will monitor ( I recall same thing happened once with my 2015 nissan leaf radio would not turn on till I did a power off/ on but that only happened once and never did occur again in 3 yrs )

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Had strange thing happen yesterday when i started Bolt up I had no radio / then I noticed the touchscreen would not change screens.
Handy tip: holding down the "Home" and "Next" buttons below the screen for 10 seconds will reboot the infotainment system, which usually clears these kinds of problems without having to turn the car off and on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I had strange thing happen after being in Reverse the all around monitor never switched back to main screen . I turned car off/ on , same thing . I tried the HOME and NEXT for 10 sec no change . Then turned car off and opened door still no good but third time I waited longer and it snapped back to normal . So much for the radio software upgrade I had done up to 14.5.0
2 weeks ago !!! I had the battery software upgrade too and so far my full charge creeping up to 221 miles but it still been cool weather in GA , waiting for my full charge to get back to 250 miles.
The 221 miles is with the HVAC off .

·
Registered
226 Posts
went shopping today and when i came home and turned off car up popped "Rear Seat Reminder / Look in rear seat " I was stumped how the car knew that then I googled it and see GM putting that on several 2017-2018 vehicles. GM monitors the rear door if it was opened before car started and that's how it knew.
Thanks for that tidbit. I often unlock the car by touching the back door latch, since driver door latch only unlocks one door. That explains most of my "Rear Seat Reminders", I think.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Thanks for that tidbit. I often unlock the car by touching the back door latch, since driver door latch only unlocks one door. That explains most of my "Rear Seat Reminders", I think.
One of the Settings is to have the driver door button unlock all of them. It defaults to just the driver door until you change it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts