Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Financial has started a program for leasing the Chevy Bolt for as little as $309 per month with no cash down after incentives.

If you choose to lease it, you won't get the federal tax credits directly, but GM will get it and give the consumer a lower monthly payment in return.

Is anyone planning on leasing one opposed to buying ??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Found this on Electrek.co Spent time trying to get it to not be crammed... it automatically crammed after I pressed reply...

Residual Values (36 Months)
Trim 10,000 Miles/Year 12,000 Miles/Year 15,000 Miles/Year
Bolt EV LT 61% 60% 58%
Bolt EV Premier 60% 58% 57%

Rates
Credit Tier Money Factor Interest Rate Equivalent
Tier A+ and A1 .00050 1.20% APR
Tier A2 .00133 3.19% APR
Tier A3 .00217 5.21% APR

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm not familiar with what constitutes as a good residual value. Is 58% residual after 3 years good?
The higher the residual, the lower your payments. So if that is your primary concern, then 58% is good. If you are looking to purchase the car at the end of the lease, GM Financial using part of the Tax Credit to hold the residual high (and keep the payments low) doesn't do you any favors. You'd be paying far above market value.

Real world values on an EV (3 yr, 12K per year) have always been 35-43% of MSRP. The $7500 Tax credit has much to do with the low value - residuals are always calculated from MSRP and the tax credit drops the effective sale price. The LT residual is calculated from the $37,495 MSRP and not the "under $30K" price touted by Chevy.

If you look at 55% (average residual on most cars) of $29,995, it's pretty close to 43% of the MSRP.

The value of a used Bolt 3 years from now is hard to predict, but it will not be anywhere near 58% of MSRP. If you are looking to purchase the car, you can make an offer at lease end that is lower than the residual in the contract, but they may or may not take it.
Nissan was actively soliciting people with offers of up to $7K off the contracted residual if they purchased the car at lease end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone preordered + leased so far? Do you know if income caps apply to leases with federal rebates?

Given GM is "buying" the car and getting the rebate based on these lease terms, I wonder if income caps apply to the person leasing the car.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Has anyone preordered + leased so far? Do you know if income caps apply to leases with federal rebates?

Given GM is "buying" the car and getting the rebate based on these lease terms, I wonder if income caps apply to the person leasing the car.
There is no Federal Rebate, only a tax credit.
You are correct in the finance company getting the tax credit as they are the purchaser. (FYI, the issue with not qualifying for the tax credit is not enough income to take advantage of the whole credit - and it doesn't roll over).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have Bolt on order, expected production Nov 28. My California Bay Area dealer says there is no lease financing yet announced by GM, only internet rumors. Has anyone received official information from their dealer on leasing?

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it will depend on your credit status as well as your income. Not all dealers offer this kind of deal, but just in case you want to ask directly for a specific dealer in your area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts